Since updating Nvidia drivers I now experience peformance drops when playing video on dual monitors

itgKIRA

This is a bit of a weird one but I'm curious if anyone has encountered the same thing / found a solution.

Specs:

i7 7700k ,1080ti, 16gb ram

1440p  144hz monitor as main monitor, 4k 60hz monitor secondary

What happened:

Up until a month or so ago, I had never updated my nvidia drivers. No game had caused any issues and since I had no reason to fix something that wasn't broken I never bothered. However, I recently started playing monster hunter world, and the game prompted me to update. I did face some pretty serious graphical issues, so I updated my nvidia drivers and that solved it. Great. However, ever since then in all games I play I have been having serious performance issues IF I started watching video content on my second monitor. To make sure I wasn't going crazy, I rolled back my nvidia driver and sure enough those performance issues disappeared - however I am now unable to play MHW and also have lost access to nvidia shadowplay (havent been able to roll back geforce experience).

I'm a bit of a predicament where I often like to watch twitch streams/youtube while grinding out activities in games, but my perfomance is awful with the updated nvidia drivers - however I cant play some games unless I update them.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or come up with a solution? I have checked online and have read many suggestions (setting refresh rate of monitors to the same, resolution to the same etc) but none of this has made any difference. The only surefire way I can get the performance back for dual screen is to roll back the nvidia driver.

Thanks!

Try running display driver uninstaller and installing latest drivers

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Starscream203 said:

Roll back drivers 

I did do this, but it unfortunately the makes games like MHW and using Shadowplay not function.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Try running display driver uninstaller and installing latest drivers

Just to be sure I understand - the unisntaller from device manager to remove the nvidia 1080ti drivers. Then just reinstall them?

Just now, itgKIRA said:

Just to be sure I understand - the unisntaller from device manager to remove the nvidia 1080ti drivers. Then just reinstall them?

not from device manager download display driver uninstaller (ddu)

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, itgKIRA said:

No, there is a dedicated tool called Display Driver Uninstaller, you get it here:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, itgKIRA said:

Gave it a try - unfortunately doesn't seem like it made any difference. Its a bizarre issue.

Specs and what's the GPU and CPU utilisation like? What browser?

Builds:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Specs and what's the GPU and CPU utilisation like? What browser?

i7 7700k 1080ti

Example: Im playing Destiny 2 and watching a Twitch stream using Firefox (also Chrome) - this will kill my performance in D2 on the latest nvidia driver. On original driver, no issues.