RAM ECC Registered/Unregistered, Buffered/Unbuffered??? Help

Go to solution Solved by Yosuru,
19 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Buffered / Registered memory

Alright that clears things.

You can't mix DDR3 and DDR4 , and socket AM4 supports only DDR4  - you can't put DDR3 sticks into DDR4 slots, you can't use DDR3 at all with socket AM4.

Yes

18 minutes ago, Yosuru said:

I only used that as a medium of comparison to different RAM Frequencies and their overall impact to gaming

14 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Anything over 16 isn't. Then it comes down to latency really. 

Having a bit of headroom also helps for multi tasking and video rendering.

Alright I think I get it now, Registered = Buffered and Unregistered = Un-buffered. and Buffered will never work on Un-buffered Motherboards

Thanks.

Hello, I just want a little clarification about ECC Memories since the browsing the web about ECC support on none server systems have conflicting points, and to gain knowledge to know whether the RAM I would buy would be just defective or incompatible in the event of it not booting/working.

I have this budget system:

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G

MOBO: Asus EX-A320M Gaming

RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16 HyperX Fury (Had 16GB but I gave the other stick to my friend, yeah just had to mention that)

GPU: RX 580 4GB

Then I found some great deals on FB Marketplace:
1. A 32GB DDR4 single stick ECC memory for only approximately $40 converted from PHP

2. and a 32GB Kit 2x16GB for approximately $80 converted.

-------------------------

32GB RAM:

MICRON 32GB PC4-19200 DDR4-2400T-R REGISTERED ECC 2RX4 CL17 288 PIN 1.20V MEMORY MODULE ( PC4-2400T-R )

MANUFACTURER: MICRON
PART NUMBER: MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3B1IK
COMPONENT DENSITY: 32GB
PRODUCT BUS TYPE: PC4-19200
COMPONENT SPEED: DDR4-2400T-R
MODULE SIGNAL TYPE: REGISTERED
ERROR CORRECTION CODE ( ECC 😞 YES
COMPONENT RANK: 2RX4
CAS LATENCY: CL17
PIN COUNT: 288-PIN
VOLTAGE: 1.20V

16 GB RAM:

16GB 2Rx4 2G x 72-Bit PC4-2133 CL15 Registered w/Parity 288-Pin DIMM

MANUFACTURER: KINGSTON
PART NUMBER: KVR21R15D4/16
COMPONENT DENSITY: 16GB
COMPONENT SPEED: DDR4-2133
MODULE SIGNAL TYPE: REGISTERED
ERROR CORRECTION CODE ( ECC 😞 YES
CAS LATENCY: CL15
PIN COUNT: 288-PIN
VOLTAGE: 1.20V

Things I understand (I think I do) so far from browsing around:
- You cannot mix Unbuffered and Buffered

- Buffered/Registered memory has a register between the DRAM itself and Memory controller

- All Ryzen supports ECC unofficially, still depends to the board manufacturer, though but the ASUS site states that ECC Memory (ECC Mode) support varies by CPU. (I guess the board itself does support it?)

Things I'm uncertain about: (Actually, everything written in this forum post pls help)

- If the motherboard only supports un-buffered memory, will using a buffered memory run the ram as un-buffered and work just like a normal un-buffered RAM would or will it not post at all?

- Some motherboard that supports ECC do work with ECC RAM but does not use the ECC function.

- What is the difference of Buffered to Registered and Unbuffered to Unregistered? Some sources say they are the same, some make it seem they are different so idk anymore.

Some notes:

- My current RAM struggles on games like Rust and COD Warzone with Rust crashing to desktop from loading (used to work but stutters) and Warzone having immense stutters in-game (RAM being maxed out).

- I don't really care about ECC, I just want to know if it'll boot.

- I understand I'll lose a bit of FPS on going down from 2666MHz to 2400 or 2133 but I think it's too small that eliminating the stutters would be much more practical. (DDR3 vs DDR4 has very little difference in terms of gaming right??)

The overall question/s: Will it boot? Is it a good idea?

Sources used: (Didn't include numerous random forum posts aaaaaaaaah)

Buffered vs Unbuffered - https://pediaa.com/difference-between-buffered-and-unbuffered-ram/#:~:text=The%20main%20difference%20between%20buffered,stands%20for%20Random%20Access%20Memory.&text=DRAM%20is%20fast%20but%20not%20as%20fast%20as%20SRAM.

32GB RAM -  https://www.itcreations.com/product/86508

16GB RAM - https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR21R15D4_16.pdf

[H.A.N.D.] <^_^> - Have A Nice Day

Budget PC, my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700

GPU: Asus ROG Strix RX 580 8GB

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 2666MHz @3000MHz

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

SSD: Kingston A4000 NVMe 256GB

3 minutes ago, Yosuru said:

- If the motherboard only supports un-buffered memory, will using a buffered memory run the ram as un-buffered and work just like a normal un-buffered RAM would or will it not post at all?

It won't work at all. 

3 minutes ago, Yosuru said:

don't really care about ECC, I just want to know if it'll boot.

If it's only ecc. Like you said. Ryzen supports it unofficially but buffered will not work. 

4 minutes ago, Yosuru said:

DDR3 vs DDR4 has very little difference in terms of gaming right??)

These are two completely different types and you can't really compare this to each other. But only ddr4 will work with am4. 

4 minutes ago, Yosuru said:

Sources used: (Didn't include numerous random forum posts aaaaaaaaah)

Sorry but no one will download a PDF / file. Can you please post an image here ?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

You need UNBUFFERED memory. 

Buffered / Registered memory will not work because the AM4 processors don't support it. They're types of memory for servers. 

ECC ... that's error correction on memory stick. It's basically an extra memory chip on the sticks. 

The AM4 processors support ECC, the "Pro" versions of AM4 Ryzen processors even advertise this.  The non-pro versions also support ECC 

In the end, it depends on the motherboard (its bios) if the motherboard accepts ECC UNBUFFERED sticks. Some bioses will show memory error, some won't start at all, most should work.  

Even then, you may not get the benefit of ECC - the bios must implement support for ECC correctly to have that working. So you may be able to use ECC UNBUFFERED sticks, but with the ECC part basically unused/ignored, or that part may be fully working. 

You can't mix DDR3 and DDR4 , and socket AM4 supports only DDR4  - you can't put DDR3 sticks into DDR4 slots, you can't use DDR3 at all with socket AM4.

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

It won't work at all. 

So, is Buffered = Registered and Unbuffered = Unregistered?

5 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If it's only ecc. Like you said. Ryzen supports it unofficially but buffered will not work. 

Both RAMs on their spec sheets mention ECC Registered but no mention regarding it being Buffered/Unbuffered

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

These are two completely different types and you can't really compare this to each other. But only ddr4 will work with am4.

Yeah I know different DDR Generations have different keys and pin counts, and I only used that as a medium of comparison to different RAM Frequencies and their overall impact to gaming. I've always found that capacity is more important for gaming.

11 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Sorry but no one will download a PDF / file. Can you please post an image here ?

Woops sorry, my browser chrome (yeah chrome... might need that extra capacity after all) opens the link to a new tab and views the site via built-in PDF Viewer

uKCVYb5.png

SSav2CR.png

Budget PC, my specs:

2 minutes ago, Yosuru said:

I've always found that capacity is more important for gaming.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Buffered / Registered memory

Alright that clears things.

Yes

18 minutes ago, Yosuru said:

I only used that as a medium of comparison to different RAM Frequencies and their overall impact to gaming

14 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Having a bit of headroom also helps for multi tasking and video rendering.

Alright I think I get it now, Registered = Buffered and Unregistered = Un-buffered. and Buffered will never work on Un-buffered Motherboards

Thanks.

Budget PC, my specs: