Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NomNom_

Help Needed, A disk read error has occurred

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My PC was working fine but it suddenly froze while working normally after that i push the restart button then it doesn't boot up.

It spent too much time of BIOS screen.

After that it shows a blank screen with '_' and after sometime it will show a disk read error has occurred.

It will start and boot if I reset the BIOS, but then again after sometime it will froze.

My system specs are old

I3-2100

4GB DDR3 1333mhz ram 2x2

500Gb Seagate HDD (OS  reinstalled windows 8.1) 7Months old

500GB WD almost 10 year old. (It will show same problem even without this HDD)

No dedicated graphics card

Motherboard B75 M gigabyte

Sometimes it boot with single stick of ram (randomly)

Sometimes with both sticks of ram 

I tried swapping the slots and ram but to no avail

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's either a dying boot drive or some critical data got corrupted preventing it from booting. You could try to repair the windows install, or a complete reinstall. If that doesn't complete you definitely got a dying/dead drive.


I have no signature

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I reinstalled the windows. The HDD is pretty new, it shouldn't be dead this early

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Helly said:

It's either a dying boot drive or some critical data got corrupted preventing it from booting. You could try to repair the windows install, or a complete reinstall. If that doesn't complete you definitely got a dying/dead drive.

Will MBR fix work?

In this case

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NomNom_ said:

I reinstalled the windows. The HDD is pretty new, it shouldn't be dead this early

if you already did this, then i suppose you have ur answer. No it shouldn't be but it can. Good thing is if you bought it new you can RMA it and get it either repaired or replaced.


I have no signature

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Helly said:

if you already did this, then i suppose you have ur answer. No it shouldn't be but it can. Good thing is if you bought it new you can RMA it and get it either repaired or replaced.

So I need to Replace my HDD?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't fix it yourself so yeah. Nothing else to do with a dead drive. Luckily 500GB drives cost literally nothing.


I have no signature

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Helly said:

You can't fix it yourself so yeah. Nothing else to do with a dead drive. Luckily 500GB drives cost literally nothing.

The data recovery is costly, and it has around 120GB of photos and Video, 50GB of work files.

Any other solutions because RMA will just give me a new drive here. And will took my old one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only thing you can try is connect it to a different PC and see if that can read it. Get what data you can off it. Other then that, nope nothing you can do other then decide how much the data is worth to you and if a data recovery is worth it.

In the mean time maybe start thinking of a backup solution so you can avoid data loss in the future?


I have no signature

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Helly said:

Only thing you can try is connect it to a different PC and see if that can read it. Get what data you can off it. Other then that, nope nothing you can do other then decide how much the data is worth to you and if a data recovery is worth it.

In the mean time maybe start thinking of a backup solution so you can avoid data loss in the future?

Well thank you very much for suggestions,

I will do it right away.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×