Windows 10 Pro 2004 Update Fails to Install

We are trying to update a 1st gen Threadripper system to Windows 10 Pro 2004 from 1903. We used both Windows Update and the Windows Upgrade Assistant. Windows Update threw up an error, but we remember what it was (it was some hex code), and now it says we are up to date but the 2004 update has not been applied. The Upgrade Assistant doesn't throw an error. Using the Upgrade Assistant the follow keeps happening...

• It downloads the update
  • Applies the update (or so it says)
  • It reboots Windows and there are no update messages
  • The computer quickly reboots, flashes the Windows logo then quickly reboots again
  • The second reboot the spinning dots at the Windows logo take a while then it loads to the desktop
  • There are no messages and checking System shows Windows is still on the old version

We've tried clearing the downloaded updates cache, uninstalling and reinstalling Upgrade Assistant, running Disk Cleanup in admin mode, checked for problems with CC Cleaner, and made sure all services required by Windows Update were running. Our system was OCed, after the first attempt failed we disabled the overclocking but that didn't seem to make a difference. Any assistance that you can give would be very appreciated. 

Here's our specs, maybe this info will help...

CPU: 1st gen AMD Threadripper 1950X

RAM: 32 GB DDR4

Mobo: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

BIOS: 1003 x64 

SSD: 512 GB Samsung 960 Pro

GPU: x2 Nvidia GTX 1080 ti with SLI bridge installed

--Michael "TheZorch" Haney
Content Creator for Zorch Central and Gamers Bay

Personal/Streaming Rig
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 1 TB Intel 660p SSD
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT Windforce OC
  • Thermaltake 600 W 80+ Gold
Adobe Editing Rig
  • AMD Threadripper 1950X
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 512 GB Samsung 960 Pro
  • x2 SLI Nvidia GeForce 1080 ti
  • Corsair 1200 W 80+ Platinum

3 hours ago, TheZorch said:

Windows 10 Pro 2004

This update is a buggy mess of crap. Microsoft is only allowing it to be installed on select systems as there are compatibility issues. Did Windows update offer the update or did you try to force it? I know on my Ryzen gaming machine it says its not ready for my system yet. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It was offered by Windows Update, tried to do it on its own the first time and failed. I have 2004 installed on a Ryzen 5 3600, so I don't know why it isn't working on the Threadripper machine. If we can't fix this we're going to have to do a reinstallation and that will be very inconvenient because the machine was configured as a server and it takes a long time to set things back up again.

--Michael "TheZorch" Haney
Content Creator for Zorch Central and Gamers Bay

Personal/Streaming Rig
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 1 TB Intel 660p SSD
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT Windforce OC
  • Thermaltake 600 W 80+ Gold
Adobe Editing Rig
  • AMD Threadripper 1950X
  • 32 GB DDR4
  • 512 GB Samsung 960 Pro
  • x2 SLI Nvidia GeForce 1080 ti
  • Corsair 1200 W 80+ Platinum

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue, 1950X with 64GB DDR4 on Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate.

Installed is 10 Pro 1909, tried to run Update twice which was offered by Windows Update, failed with same symptoms as you describe. After that, the update does not appear in Windows Update anymore, I guess there is an incompatibility which prevents the update from going through. If I were you I would not reinstall, but download the 1909 update and install this one, then wait for MS to fix the issue.

• 6 months later...

Same problem but with a GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX with a 1900X running Windows 10 1909.

Tried the windows updater and it failed silently on the reboot, then booted back to 1909.  Ugh!

On 3/17/2021 at 8:08 AM, jreitz88 said:

Same problem but with a GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX with a 1900X running Windows 10 1909.

Tried the windows updater and it failed silently on the reboot, then booted back to 1909.  Ugh!

Fixed this by upgrading my motherboard BIOS.  I was running version F2B, which I discovered was no longer available for download on Gigabyte's web site.  So, I installed the latest (F12), and ran the windows updater, and it worked fine.