Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khaoatic

Does adding a second fan to my cpu cooler make a diffrernece?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

title. I have a nh d15 for my 8700k and im wondering if installing the second included fan would make a difference, especially if i overclock up to 5ghz. since i have it i may as well use it. if so, what would be the best configuration with the two fans in terms of placement with the heatsinks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Khaoatic said:

title. I have a nh d15 for my 8700k and im wondering if installing the second included fan would make a difference, especially if i overclock up to 5ghz. since i have it i may as well use it. if so, what would be the best configuration with the two fans in terms of placement with the heatsinks.

You can if you wish, but you get diminishing returns after a certain point. See this LTT video:

 


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Link to post
Share on other sites

It can certainly help, but depends on a lot of little factors, like your case, the orientation of the cooler, the other fans in your system and so on...

So the best way to find that out is to just try it.

 

When it comes to placement you only have one real option:

[rear exhaust fan] - [fins] - [fan1] - [fins] - [fan2]

 

fins are the cooler fins of the NH-D15 and fan 1 and 2 are the two fans that come with the cooler.

the rear exhaust fan should be mounted at the back of your case, pulling air out of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

It can certainly help, but depends on a lot of little factors, like your case, the orientation of the cooler, the other fans in your system and so on...

So the best way to find that out is to just try it.

 

When it comes to placement you only have one real option:

[rear exhaust fan] - [fins] - [fan1] - [fins] - [fan2]

 

fins are the cooler fins of the NH-D15 and fan 1 and 2 are the two fans that come with the cooler.

the rear exhaust fan should be mounted at the back of your case, pulling air out of it.

hmm ok. i guess i can try that and see if i notice a difference. also, is it ok if the fan is bumping up next to my ram and sticking out to the side of the heatsink due to my tall ram. if not is there an actual other use for it, maybe as a top exhaust? ive currenty got two front 140mm intakes and a rear 120mm exhaust.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Khaoatic said:

hmm ok. i guess i can try that and see if i notice a difference. also, is it ok if the fan is bumping up next to my ram and sticking out to the side of the heatsink due to my tall ram. if not is there an actual other use for it, maybe as a top exhaust? ive currenty got two front 140mm intakes and a rear 120mm exhaust.

That's not an issue as long as it still fits inside your case.

I wouldn't use it as an exhaust, because it would probably create negative pressure and suck in dust. But that's also something you better try for yourself.

 

Run a benchmark for 20 minutes, change out the fan, run it again and see what the difference is like.

If you can, keep an eye on the ambient temperature. That way you will make sure to get accurate results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

That's not an issue as long as it still fits inside your case.

I wouldn't use it as an exhaust, because it would probably create negative pressure and suck in dust. But that's also something you better try for yourself.

 

Run a benchmark for 20 minutes, change out the fan, run it again and see what the difference is like.

If you can, keep an eye on the ambient temperature. That way you will make sure to get accurate results.

alright thanks for the help

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
23 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

That's not an issue as long as it still fits inside your case.

I wouldn't use it as an exhaust, because it would probably create negative pressure and suck in dust. But that's also something you better try for yourself.

 

Run a benchmark for 20 minutes, change out the fan, run it again and see what the difference is like.

If you can, keep an eye on the ambient temperature. That way you will make sure to get accurate results.

so actually after running benchmarks and installing the second fan it ends up bumping into and pushing against the glass panel. i’m assuming this means to not even bother with using the second fan 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Khaoatic said:

so actually after running benchmarks and installing the second fan it ends up bumping into and pushing against the glass panel. i’m assuming this means to not even bother with using the second fan 

I bought a 120 fan for my D15 to clear RAM and let my case close, and used the 140 it came with elsewhere. No real difference in temps on my 3600. You can slow them down a bit more and achieve the same temps, which is nice for noise. Both fans at top speed showed maybe a degree or two difference under normal load conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×