Which of These Systems is Better For Gaming

I find myself in the position of having two computers. One is already my main system and the other was my dads and is missing a graphics card. I'm trying to figure out if my dad's old system would be any better for gaming if i put my graphics cards (Two 970s) in it.

My Current System:

CPU: Threadripper 1900X

RAM: 16GB (But it only sees 12GB for some reason)

MoBo: ASRock X399 Taichi

GPU: Dual GTX 970s

PSU: Seasonic 850 Watt

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro

Second System:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

RAM: 16GB

MoBo: MSI B350 Tomahawk

GPU: GTX 750 (Will Be replaced)

PSU: Corsair RM 650x

SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

I guess it really comes down to which CPU will perform better in games. I'm also an editor and if i could free my Threadripper system up to be a dedicated editing machine that would be great but i don't want to do it if i'm going to lose performance. 

The 2nd one is better for - 1st and 2nd gen Threadripper are very poor choices for gaming.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I'd say they would preform about the same, but the Threadripper 1900X would outpreform the Ryzen 5. (Though I would still choose the Ryzen 5)

1 minute ago, consentwastaken said:

I'd say they would preform about the same, but the Threadripper 1900X would outpreform the Ryzen 5.

The R5 will perform much better in games.

1 minute ago, consentwastaken said:

but the Threadripper 1900X would outpreform the Ryzen 5.

No. It wouldn't. Especially zen 1 TR

3 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

Other specs? I would go with this either way. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

SLI is very much dead so you might as well only use 1 card. Not that many AM4 boards support SLI either.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

I find myself in the position of having two computers. One is already my main system and the other was my dads and is missing a graphics card. I'm trying to figure out if my dad's old system would be any better for gaming if i put my graphics cards (Two 970s) in it.

My Current System:

CPU: Threadripper 1900X

Second System:

I guess it really comes down to which CPU will perform better in games. I'm also an editor and if i could free my Threadripper system up to be a dedicated editing machine that would be great but i don't want to do it if i'm going to lose performance. 

The 2600 will be better in games-- just keep in mind that a lot of AM4 boards won't support SLI. Not a great loss these days, though.

13 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

You may want to re-seat the CPU as per the AMD recommendations, in case some of the RAM channels aren't 'connecting'.

If you're using four 4GB RAM sticks, make sure they're in the same pattern of slots on either side of the CPU.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

DBL POST - pls delete

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

16 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Other specs? 

Updated Specs in the original post

11 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

You may want to re-seat the CPU as per the AMD recommendations, in case some of the RAM channels aren't 'connecting'.

If you're using four 4GB RAM sticks, make sure they're in the same pattern of slots on either side of the CPU.

8GB RAM sticks. and yeah, that's a good idea. i'll try that.

Just now, DCWalt said:

Updated Specs in the original post

Ah well if you won't be running that 750. The. The am4 system will be better. 

22 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

gaming if i put my graphics cards (Two 970s) in it.

Dead. Doesn't scale well and had no performance increase. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

8GB RAM sticks. and yeah, that's a good idea. i'll try that.

Two 8GB sticks & only 12GB detected?  Odd; woulda made more sense w/ four 4GB's...

WHY NOT...?!

1 hour ago, Eighjan said:

Two 8GB sticks & only 12GB detected?  Odd; woulda made more sense w/ four 4GB's...

yeah, it's been like that since i built it years ago. never been able to find a fix

36 minutes ago, DCWalt said:

yeah, it's been like that since i built it years ago. never been able to find a fix

All I can think of is a CPU re-seat... to ensure all the RAM control channels are connected.

WHY NOT...?!

There wouldn't really be much of a difference. Zen+ is better than Zen, but the difference isn't as big as it is with Zen 2. And TR CPUs were better binned and, especially the low core-count ones, allowed to clock higher, so... Not sure if what you gain with the "+" is that much more than what you gain with the "TR". It is an 8-core vs- a 6-core, so there's that.

Honestly, the best system for gaming would be whichever of the two gets the best GPU... ;)