Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
W1o_windows_djs_dev

A Windows 10 version for dj's like me...

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thing is...

I have an i3 laptop with 4gb of ram.

Wich can hardly run my dj software ( Rekordbox)

 

So i thought...

What if...

There was was a operating system for dj's.

First i thought of linux...

 

But they're basically no software for DJs on linux!

 

Then i thought... What if... 

I made a VM costumized it for dj's and deployed it to a computer!

 

This took a while to figure out...

 

I have made a VM and i wanted to deploy it.

Funny thing is my laptop blue screened and corrupt my vm!

 

now I'm working on an improved version of the os.

 

 

 

Rules for delevopment...

 

1) i should only program on a i3 processor with 4/8gb of ram

 

2) I want that the deployment on the dj side to be simple.

 

3) everyday software should be pre-installed. Like vlc, chrome etc.

 

4) i want it to be as black as possible!

Most dj's play in clubs... So it means they will play in the dark.

 

 

 

 

My plan:

 

1) use msgm/win toolkit and nt lite. To slim it out

 

2) install the iso to the VM and start tweaking

 

3) make the deployment iso

 

 

 

The installer will probably be a .bat or a .ps1 script.

 

 

 

The project is not only for DJs with low specs.

 

Streamers gamers the sky's the limit.

5f77167.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, W1o_windows_djs_dev said:

Thing is...

I have an i3 laptop with 4gb of ram.

Wich can hardly run my dj software ( Rekordbox)

 

*snip*

Hi, it's great that you are making your own VM and whatnot to run it on, but if you want to improve performance I would recommend checking out LowSpecGamer on youtube as he can provide some feedback that you might find useful in order to increase performance on the desktop. This powershell script is also useful and I use it on all of my machines:

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/4378-windows-10-decrapifier-18xx-19xx


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites

Running DJ applications on VM or that low spec laptop is not a good idea in my opinion if I understood right


Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to post
Share on other sites

very good progress! btw what exactly is your cpu? do you have vt-x enabled? 


if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, W1o_windows_djs_dev said:

So i thought...

What if...

There was was a operating system for dj's.

First i thought of linux...

 

But they're basically no software for DJs on linux!

I am not a DJ but Ubuntu Studio + Mixxx Possibly?


My System - OS: Fedora Linux CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.33v Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-I Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

Wifes System - OS: Arch Linux CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I am not a DJ but Ubuntu Studio + Mixxx Possibly?

Didn't know those exist I'm getting those for my laptop


Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Hi, it's great that you are making your own VM and whatnot to run it on, but if you want to improve performance I would recommend checking out LowSpecGamer on youtube as he can provide some feedback that you might find useful in order to increase performance on the desktop. This powershell script is also useful and I use it on all of my machines:

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/4378-windows-10-decrapifier-18xx-19xx

I Know I'm doing a similar thing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, W1o_windows_djs_dev said:

IT'S NOT POPIULAR SOFTWARE. SO MOST CONTROLLERS DON'T WORK.

How would you know? According to your original post you didn't even know any software existed for Linux.

I am sure there is more than what is even offered with the Ubuntu Studio, specially considering its a multipurpose distro. Mixxx also appears to be a fairly common piece of software for both Windows and Linux. Music isn't something that's new to Linux. Just a matter of finding what you need.

 

You do what you want, I was personally only offering a suggestion.


My System - OS: Fedora Linux CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.33v Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-I Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

Wifes System - OS: Arch Linux CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
52 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

How would you know? According to your original post you didn't even know any software existed for Linux.

I am sure there is more than what is even offered with the Ubuntu Studio, specially considering its a multipurpose distro. Mixxx also appears to be a fairly common piece of software for both Windows and Linux. Music isn't something that's new to Linux. Just a matter of finding what you need.

 

You do what you want, I was personally only offering a suggestion.

I said " there are basically no DJing software"

 

So i knew those existed...

 

I ment no POPIULAR ones like: rekordbox serato traktor and virtaul dj

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
21 hours ago, BlueScope819 said:

Hi, it's great that you are making your own VM and whatnot to run it on, but if you want to improve performance I would recommend checking out LowSpecGamer on youtube as he can provide some feedback that you might find useful in order to increase performance on the desktop. This powershell script is also useful and I use it on all of my machines:

https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/4378-windows-10-decrapifier-18xx-19xx

I will not run software from that vm!

 

I will deploy it to a computer!

 

Btw you can run windows on 2 cores and 2gb of ram 

Tho it's slow it's enough...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've played thousands of DJ gigs on everything from super cheap Windows laptops, high end Windows laptops, and Macbooks. The idea of a modded version of Windows in a live environment is pretty sketchy, you never know when a BSOD is going to ruin your set.

 

In ye olde days, I rocked a Win7 i3 machine with as many performance tweaks as possible, still crashed all the time and took forever to restart. The most stable system for DJing IME is a Macbook Pro, but yes they are expensive and this isn't a Mac VS PC debate. 

 

I'm just sayin, you should save up from a few gigs and get a laptop with good specs. If you only made a measly $200 per gig, you just have to save up from 4 gigs to get a pretty decent $800 laptop. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×