Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Simeon_

Will this 8 pin CPU connector cause any issues?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I bought a used CX750M and intend to use it in my i7 6700k/z270 system.

I noticed that the one metal connector bit was crushed (as if someone jammed something in there) so I moved into a position where it fits into the motherboard.

I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to try and use the power supply like this. 

Thanks, 

Simeon

20200713_181833.jpg

20200713_181801.jpg

The picture isn't really clear. But it looks like it's completely burnt. I would not use it imo. 

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

1 minute ago, Simeon_ said:

I noticed that the one metal connector bit was crushed (as if someone jammed something in there) so I moved into a position where it fits into the motherboard.

I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to try and use the power supply like this. 

Thanks, 

Simeon

20200713_181833.jpg

20200713_181801.jpg

I would try and get a new plug. If your PSU is modular you might be able to buy a replacement.

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

The picture isn't really clear. But it looks like it's completely burned. I would not use it imo. 

It's not actually burned but some of the metal and plastic has been damaged

If the power supply did THAT - I'd say replace it before it LITERALLY EXPLODES....

Just now, Simeon_ said:

It's not actually burned but some of the metal and plastic has been damaged

It's very VERY burned...replace the entire clearly DEFECTIVE power supply.

Posted (edited)
Just now, 5x5 said:

It's very VERY burned...replace the entire clearly DEFECTIVE power supply.

Nvm that sounds like a better idea. But if its a modular PSU and the other cables are perfectly fine i would try and get a new 8 pin cpu cable at the very least

Edited by Goku1814
Just now, Simeon_ said:

some of the metal and plastic has been damaged

Can I ask how? And are you 100% sure it's not burned?

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

It's a green CX 750 (aka a rebranded GS 750 from 10 years ago...) - of course it's fucked

Just now, 5x5 said:

of course it's fucked

Yea just wanted to be 100% sure. 

But I wouldn't use it if I were OP. 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

It's a green CX 750 (aka a rebranded GS 750 from 10 years ago...) - of course it's fucked

Geez thats old

That looks melted. Another argument as to why you shouldn't cheap out on a power supply and why you shouldn't buy a used power supply either.

Buy a new, good PSU.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K (w/ TG Hydronaut) | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3000MHz CL15 | Intel 660p 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | WD Green 2TB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra (w/ TG Hydronaut @ 0.95V) | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout USB-C

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | Ducky Shine 7 Gunmetal (Cherry MX Brown) | Sennheiser Game One | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Laptop:  Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2018 - i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

I don't see evidence of burn damage that I'd expect (i should've taken a before photo) but the metal connector was kinda pushed to the side. I tried the power supply with a mobo that only needs a 4 pin and the psu worked with the other side of the connector. I don't know what to think

Just now, Simeon_ said:

with the other side of the connector. I don't know what to think

If the other 4pin is fine then that's good. The other side doesn't look so good. 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

11 minutes ago, Simeon_ said:

Thanks, 

Simeon

20200713_181833.jpg

20200713_181801.jpg

If the previous owner tried to force it into a plug that wasn't right, possibly they could have damaged it like that.... but it would take an incredible amount of force to tear through metal like that, so I doubt that is what happened there. If that happened due to a short and it pulled crazy current through that wire, I wouldn't trust it anymore. Theoretically the PSU would have gone into over current protection and saved itself, but that is a crappy situation to be in. Without knowing what happened, or the outcome of what happened, hard to suggest you should plug it in and find out.

If it 100% doesn't look burned and looks like someone maybe got a pin stuck in there (it could have maybe... possible.... pulled the male end of the mobo's plug out, and they used a vice grip to rip it back out so they could sell the PSU), then the PSU itself should be totally fine, and a new plug is all you would need which is super cheap. Either way, I wouldn't use it like that though, if nothing else it may cause a bad connection which would not just cause insane voltage fluctuations, but could arch.

Rig: i9 9900k @ 5Ghz - - Z390 Auros Elite  - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz @ 3600MHz - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM650i - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - Steel Series QcK XXL

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: ESXi 6.5 - - 250 GB SSD for VM's/ESXi boot - - FreeNAS 11.3-U2 - - HPE Proliant ML10 Gen 9 backbone - - i3 6100 - - 28 GB ECC - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander

White Lightning (original full watercooled build) - Homelab / Media Server - The Blue Beast (my car and other expensive hobby...) - iPhone Xs - 2018 MacBook Air

4 minutes ago, Simeon_ said:

Thanks, 

Simeon

There is no way you're going to make a good connection with that. Given your specs, and provided you aren't overclocking, the connector itself probably won't be an issue, as all 4 top pins are wired in parallel. That being said, it begs the question: Why is it like that? You'll be putting more load on the remaining pins, potentially making the condition worse, and likely have a damaged motherboard if it was pulled out of a system like that. It's out of spec.

If you choose to use this PSU, it's entirely at your own risk. You can damage the PSU, Motherboard, CPU, and even make some smoke with this.

I'd recommend replacing the entire PSU and cables, as well as take a very close look at the EPS connector on the motherboard.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 2667 MT/s DDR4

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't really work out badly since i bought it so cheap