AMD PB2, PBO, or AutoOC?

I have 3900x with (what I think) PBO+AutoOC are active.

However in my bios of my motherboard I have 2 different PBO options one with the "accept/decline" to enter into the option & than the PBO option without that message.

I feel like I've watched so many videos on which to use.

Does it matter? Should I just leave it on stock. The only things changed manually as of writing this is XMP/D.O.C.P. and fabric clock of memory.

Should I put both PBO options on enabled. I don't see Precision boost 2 anywhere in bios but I know it's different. PBO+AutoOC+200mh is the settings currently.Everything else stock settings.

First watercooled System

Build Name: Frost

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

Top Rad & Fans:  Corsair 54mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair ML Pro RGB Fans

Side Rad & Fans: Corsair 30mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans

Motherboard: Asrock X670E Steel Legend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D w/ Corsair XC7 RGB Pro w/ Kyrosheet

Memory/RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB DDR5 2x16GB 32GB 6000Mhz

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF w/ EK-Quantum Vector2 Nickel/Plexi & Backplate

Pump/Reservoir: Corsair XD5 RGB

Coolant: EK Mystic Fog

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

Boot/OS SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe

WZ/2042 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Game SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Performance/Editing HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Storage HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition/Razer Mamba

Mouse Mat: Corsair MM700 RGB

Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast

Headset: Razer Blackshark v2 Pro

Eyewear/Glasses: Gunnar Optiks Razer FPS

Camera: Razer Kiyo Pro

7 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

If you have a good cooler, enable PBO. Else, keep it off

Both PBO options?

I have a 360 CLC

First watercooled System

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

There's Precision Boost 2, which is just the default clock boosting behavior. Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) and AutoOC both try to take things a step further. The main difference is that PBO works basically the same as PB2 (the default behavior), but utilizing higher power limits, to potentially boost higher. AutoOC attempts to do a straight +200Mhz, if it can manage the power and thermals to do so. In reality, neither does much of anything over just standard PB2. If you want to enable one, do PBO, but bear in mind that this does technically void your CPUs warranty (as any OC would). Otherwise, just don't worry about it. Zen 2 just doesn't OC well under any circumstance: manual, PBO or AutoOC. It's mostly just to say you overclocked; you're not going to really see any real world benefit outside of maybe a few more points in synthetic benchmarks. Gamers Nexus has a really in-depth video that explains the differences and also how little it actually matters.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

A 360mm AIO and your motherboard should handle it even with PBO and AutoOC enabled in theory, but try and check it out for yourself. Don't expect anything too major in terms of performance benefits though.

10 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

If you want to enable one, do PBO, but bear in mind that this does technically void your CPUs warranty (as any OC would).

Not that they're gonna be able to tell whether PBO was indeed enabled or not though.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Not that they're gonna be able to tell whether PBO was indeed enabled or not though.

Sure. Probably not, but it's worth mentioning. A lot of people don't realize that PBO is actually an "overclock", probably because they confuse it with the stock PB2.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

25 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

There's Precision Boost 2, which is just the default clock boosting behavior. Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) and AutoOC both try to take things a step further. The main difference is that PBO works basically the same as PB2 (the default behavior), but utilizing higher power limits, to potentially boost higher. AutoOC attempts to do a straight +200Mhz, if it can manage the power and thermals to do so. In reality, neither does much of anything over just standard PB2. If you want to enable one, do PBO, but bear in mind that this does technically void your CPUs warranty (as any OC would). Otherwise, just don't worry about it. Zen 2 just doesn't OC well under any circumstance: manual, PBO or AutoOC. It's mostly just to say you overclocked; you're not going to really see any real world benefit outside of maybe a few more points in synthetic benchmarks. Gamers Nexus has a really in-depth video that explains the differences and also how little it actually matters.

Yes I watched GN video. However, I'm seeing two different PBO options. AMD overclocking section of the bios, then just PBO in AI tweaker bios section. Quite confusing. I didn't know that PB2 is enabled out of the box.

I'm just trying to get the most performance out of this CPU I can. So trying the best to see what gives me more performance. Seems like my FPS dipped since upgrading from an 7700K.

First watercooled System

4 minutes ago, ChaosCGTV said:

Yes I watched GN video. However, I'm seeing two different PBO options. AMD overclocking section of the bios, then just PBO in AI tweaker bios section. Quite confusing. I didn't know that PB2 is enabled out of the box.

I'm just trying to get the most performance out of this CPU I can. So trying the best to see what gives me more performance. Seems like my FPS dipped since upgrading from an 7700K.

That's possible and frankly expected. The 7700K has higher clocks, particularly single-core where you can actually get the rated boost (or close enough). Plus, it probably has a lot more OC headroom, and I'm assuming you probably did OC it.

Where the 3900x takes over is in raw multi-core perf, particular in quad-core and octa-core workloads, which is to say the more cores you saturate the more it pulls ahead of the 7700K. You're not going to see that benefit in gaming, for the most part.

14 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

That's possible and frankly expected. The 7700K has higher clocks, particularly single-core where you can actually get the rated boost (or close enough). Plus, it probably has a lot more OC headroom, and I'm assuming you probably did OC it.

Where the 3900x takes over is in raw multi-core perf, particular in quad-core and octa-core workloads, which is to say the more cores you saturate the more it pulls ahead of the 7700K. You're not going to see that benefit in gaming, for the most part.

Yes. got 5ghz out of it and never hit above 71c on the most intensive torture test I could use.

However I stream and render now, so i needed the extra cores and while I have the money thought might as well go with the current highest cpu (back in may) price to performance and make the switch to AMD. PBO+AutoOC I'm only seeing 4.2Ghz in current game I'm playing but on prime95 test I did for 50 minutes I only got about 3.9Ghz across all cores. Which I consider awful...in 2020.

First watercooled System

3 hours ago, ChaosCGTV said:

Yes. got 5ghz out of it and never hit above 71c on the most intensive torture test I could use.

However I stream and render now, so i needed the extra cores and while I have the money thought might as well go with the current highest cpu (back in may) price to performance and make the switch to AMD. PBO+AutoOC I'm only seeing 4.2Ghz in current game I'm playing but on prime95 test I did for 50 minutes I only got about 3.9Ghz across all cores. Which I consider awful...in 2020.

Pure clocks isn't what matters here. Synthetic benchmarks also don't tell the full story. That's perhaps a little low, but well in line with what you'd expect. The base clock on that chip is 3.8. Anything over that is boost, and you're never going to see an all core boost last for 50 minutes. The boost clock is 4.6, but you're only ever going to see that single core, maybe a few cores at 4.5. This is all standard CPU stuff. The same situation exists with Intel, but the 7700K had a higher base clock to begin with. Also, you all core OCed, which is a different thing. You could alll core OC the Ryzen too, and probably get stable around 4.4. Then, you would see the sustained clocks, but you'd be chopping 200Mhz off your maximum single core boost.

Again, though, it's not all just about clocks. It makes a difference in single core workloads, because literally nothing else is going on other than how fast it's chewing through the instruction set. However, multi core is an entirely different ball game, and even at lower clocks, the Ryzen chip easily slaps down your old CPU.

3 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Pure clocks isn't what matters here. Synthetic benchmarks also don't tell the full story. That's perhaps a little low, but well in line with what you'd expect. The base clock on that chip is 3.8. Anything over that is boost, and you're never going to see an all core boost last for 50 minutes. The boost clock is 4.6, but you're only ever going to see that single core, maybe a few cores at 4.5. This is all standard CPU stuff. The same situation exists with Intel, but the 7700K had a higher base clock to begin with. Also, you all core OCed, which is a different thing. You could alll core OC the Ryzen too, and probably get stable around 4.4. Then, you would see the sustained clocks, but you'd be chopping 200Mhz off your maximum single core boost.

Again, though, it's not all just about clocks. It makes a difference in single core workloads, because literally nothing else is going on other than how fast it's chewing through the instruction set. However, multi core is an entirely different ball game, and even at lower clocks, the Ryzen chip easily slaps down your old CPU.

Right and most games I play when I stream are multi core nowadays. Been since about 3 years or so now they went multi core. If I could get an OC at 4.4Ghz all core, I would like. Since everything I do with it is multi core. I was told when I bought it "only use PBO don't manual OC you'll see worse results if you're overclocking." I mean I know how to OC this chip regardless. Just worried about voltage setting. I heard it's not good idea to set manually. Is that true?

First watercooled System