Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pixxel

B550 or B450 for an R7 3700x?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am building my first system soon and I am probably taking a trip to mico center sometime this week. I can afford either chipset without making any sacrifices, but I'd like to know what is better for my cpu. For b450 options I've been looking at the MSI b450 Tomahawk Max and the Asus ROG Strix b450-f Gaming. I only know that the MSI board supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box and I'm not sure about the Asus board. I'm not sure if putting a 3700x in either of these is a good choice because I can be getting more for b550 and due to potential compatibility issues. For my b550 choices, I've been looking at the MSI B550 Tommahawk, the Asus ROG Strix b550-f Gaming, and the Gigabyte b550 AORUS Elite. b550 has a few features that will be nice to have like pcie gen 4 for faster storage and Ryzen 3000 support out of the box guaranteed. My budget can accommodate either choice, but I was wondering for a 3700x is it worth it to go b550 over b450 for the price. With the money I can save going b450 I can upgrade my monitor or fit a second display which will be very nice to have.

TIA for any responses :3 stay safe and heathy! ❤️ 

I would get a b450 so you can add to your monitor budget.

I doubt any of the extra b550 features would be useful for you.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

I would get a b450 so you can add to your monitor budget.

I doubt any of the extra b550 features would be useful for you.

A second display would be extremely useful, especially coming from a laptop. I'll probably go b450 then :3

8 minutes ago, pixxel said:

I am building my first system soon and I am probably taking a trip to mico center sometime this week. I can afford either chipset without making any sacrifices, but I'd like to know what is better for my cpu. For b450 options I've been looking at the MSI b450 Tomahawk Max and the Asus ROG Strix b450-f Gaming. I only know that the MSI board supports Ryzen 3000 out of the box and I'm not sure about the Asus board. I'm not sure if putting a 3700x in either of these is a good choice because I can be getting more for b550 and due to potential compatibility issues. For my b550 choices, I've been looking at the MSI B550 Tommahawk, the Asus ROG Strix b550-f Gaming, and the Gigabyte b550 AORUS Elite. b550 has a few features that will be nice to have like pcie gen 4 for faster storage and Ryzen 3000 support out of the box guaranteed. My budget can accommodate either choice, but I was wondering for a 3700x is it worth it to go b550 over b450 for the price. With the money I can save going b450 I can upgrade my monitor or fit a second display which will be very nice to have.

I would recommend this motherboard, it's an overall good value option for a B550 board with PCIe gen4 supported and should work great with your Ryzen 7 3700X CPU:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/625303/asrock-b550-phantom-gaming-4-amd-am4-atx-motherboard

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

If you're going to pair your 3700X with a B450/B550 board, make damn sure you're buying a higher-end one with good VRMs.

The Sh!tCentre: Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M Aorus - GTX 1070 FE - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - Western Digital 1TB SN750 M.2 NVMe - SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD - Inland Pro 1TB SSD - Corsair CX550M (gray-label) - Vintage 2007 Lenovo ThinkCentre J200 case, complete with Celeron and Vista Basic stickers, and the Olympic logo to commemorate Lenovo's sponsorship of the 2008 Beijing games. Looks rad-iciulous.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If you're going to pair your 3700X with a B450/B550 board, make damn sure you're buying a higher-end one with good VRMs.

3700x is not that power hungry. Stock settings and its under 100W:s, pbo on 110W.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, pixxel said:

and the Asus ROG Strix b450-f Gaming

Avoid it please. Bad value and overpriced and doesnt bring anything special to the table. 

19 minutes ago, pixxel said:

For b450. 

Tomahawk max

Mortar max will easily handle an 8 core. 

A cheaper but still capable board like the a pro max (non m) will also handle it just fine. 

A pro 4 and a pro vdh max will also handle an 8 core though I wouldn't overclock it. 

For b550. 

The tomahawk ( 12 in pair ( so 6) 60A power stages iirc ) 

And the mortar and the aorus pro and the strix f are all good. 

A cheaper b550 board like the pro 4 should also be capable of handling an 8 core. 

For x570. The tomahawk ( 6 doubled 60A smart power stages with ISL 6617's for doublers ). And the x570-p and the tuf are also pretty decent. 

Edited by TofuHaroto

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

53 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Going X-570 will let me into that higher end segment, I just can't afford boards at that price

44 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Avoid it please. Bad value and overpriced and doesnt bring anything special to the table. 

For b450. 

Tomahawk max

Mortar max will easily handle an 8 core. 

A cheaper but still capable board like the a pro max (non m) will also handle it just fine. 

A pro 4 and a pro vdh max will also handle an 8 core though I wouldn't overclock it. 

For b550. 

The tomahawk ( 12 in pair ( so 6) 60A power stages iirc ) 

And the mortar and the aorus pro and the strix f are all good. 

A cheaper b550 board like the pro 4 should also be capable of handling an 8 core. 

For x570. The tomahawk ( 6 doubled 60A smart power stages with ISL 6617's for doublers ). And the x570-p and the tuf are also pretty decent. 

Thanks, I just want to make sure that I don't overheat any VRM's or push any board too far, this helps :3

Just now, pixxel said:

Going X-570 will let me into that higher end segment, I just can't afford boards at that price

There are some B-550 boards out there with better VRMs than X-570s. There are some high-end boards with shit VRMs and mid-tier boards that don't look like much, but are also given solid VRM design. With Ryzen in particular, it's as much about the VRMs as it is anything else.

The Sh!tCentre: Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M Aorus - GTX 1070 FE - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - Western Digital 1TB SN750 M.2 NVMe - SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD - Inland Pro 1TB SSD - Corsair CX550M (gray-label) - Vintage 2007 Lenovo ThinkCentre J200 case, complete with Celeron and Vista Basic stickers, and the Olympic logo to commemorate Lenovo's sponsorship of the 2008 Beijing games. Looks rad-iciulous.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

There are some B-550 boards out there with better VRMs than X-570s. There are some high-end boards with shit VRMs and mid-tier boards that don't look like much, but are also given solid VRM design. With Ryzen in particular, it's as much about the VRMs as it is anything else.

What are some good boards with good VRM's. My main goal with this system is performance and most importantly longevity. So having good VRM's will hopefully allow my motherboard and cpu to last longer.

7 minutes ago, pixxel said:

What are some good boards with good VRM's. My main goal with this system is performance and most importantly longevity. So having good VRM's will hopefully allow my motherboard and cpu to last longer.

Any of the ones @TofuHaroto recommended have good vrms

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

9 minutes ago, pixxel said: