Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Any Tech

Laptop for video editing and ryzen or intel???

Ryzen or Intel?  

15 members have voted

  1. 1. I need a knew laptop. i will be doing video editing and multi tasking a lot on it. my budget is around £500 (GBP), should i get a Ryzen 5 or an intel i5?

    • Ryzen 5
    • Intel i5
      0


Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, i am looking for a new laptop. i have been through 3 laptops so far and they have all been very problematic. i am looking for one with preferably at least 256gb SSD, 8gb ram, core i5 or better.i dont know much about ryzen, but apparently ryzen 5 is good for video editing, and i will be doing video editing on it. i have a low bugdet at around £500 (GBP).

So,

1. should i get a ryzen or intel and what generation?

2. wich laptop should i get?

Many Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally you would get 4th gen ryzen. But that depends on what country you are located in and what your budget is.


I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

 

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Ideally you would get 4th gen ryzen. But that depends on what country you are located in and what your budget is.

sorry about that, i forgot to include that in the description. i edited it now, if you could read it.

Thanks a lot!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Any Tech said:

Hi, i am looking for a new laptop. i have been through 3 laptops so far and they have all been very problematic. i am looking for one with preferably at least 256gb SSD, 8gb ram, core i5 or better.i dont know much about ryzen, but apparently ryzen 5 is good for video editing, and i will be doing video editing on it.

So,

1. should i get a ryzen or intel and what generation?

2. wich laptop should i get?

Many Thanks!

 

Hi @Any Tech, I would be more than happy to help you find a laptop that meets your needs, could you please include your budget and what country you are shopping from within this thread?


Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

 

Hi @Any Tech, I would be more than happy to help you find a laptop that meets your needs, could you please include your budget and what country you are shopping from within this thread?

hI @Boomwebsearch 

sorry about that, i forgot to include that in the description. i edited it now, if you could read it.

Thanks a lot!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzen 4000 would be best, but I dont know of any good ones in that price range. I would go for a used thinkpad. Either a thinkpad x1 carbon or t series.


I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

 

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

Ryzen 4000 would be best, but I dont know of any good ones in that price range. I would go for a used thinkpad. Either a thinkpad x1 carbon or t series.

Hi @zeusthemoose , thanks for your helo, but its way out of my price range... i actually found this laptop on laptopoutlet: Lenovo V155 on laptop outlet

thanks a lot for your help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Any Tech said:

Hi @zeusthemoose , thanks for your helo, but its way out of my price range... i actually found this laptop on laptopoutlet: Lenovo V155 on laptop outlet

thanks a lot for your help!

I dont have any experience with that nor have I heard of it before now. That said, the reviews seemed solid. An issue though is that the screen isnt great which might be bad for your video editing.


I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

 

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Any Tech said:

hI @Boomwebsearch 

sorry about that, i forgot to include that in the description. i edited it now, if you could read it.

Thanks a lot!

 

Thanks for the additional information, currently Ryzen processors hold the lead over Intel when it comes to multi-threaded performance which you are really going to want for video editing. AMD Ryzen 5/7 3rd gen or 2nd gen processors are likely the best options within your budget.

 

I would overall recommend this laptop (considering budget, battery life, processing, RAM, storage, etc):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-X412DA-Processor-Windows/dp/B081NKW4MS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18Q5A0K977TGH&dchild=1&keywords=asus+vivobook&qid=1594649643&refinements=p_89%3AASUS%2Cp_n_feature_fourteen_browsebin%3A8322506031&rnid=8322536031&s=computers&sprefix=asus+vi%2Caps%2C275&sr=1-3


Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Thanks a lot for that :) its a bit out of my price range, and not in stock and i really need one soon but i will look into it on other websites and consider it. for the meanwhilst i will look at what other people might suggest.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

I dont have any experience with that nor have I heard of it before now. That said, the reviews seemed solid. An issue though is that the screen isnt great which might be bad for your video editing.

Okay thanks a lot for your time and help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

At this budget it's hard to find a new, decent model. Fine with used/refurb options?


Check out my laptop reviews here

 

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050Ti 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB+Seagate 1TB 5400RPM

Check out my blog here

Laptop ODMsClevo, Tongfang, Quanta

 

My Phone: Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite [REVIEW] (Blue, with XUNDD hard case)

Spoiler

SDM710 6GB RAM 128GB ROM 6.39" AMOLED 48MP Sony IMX586 rear (AI triple camera)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Any Tech said:

Thanks a lot for that :) its a bit out of my price range, and not in stock and i really need one soon but i will look into it on other websites and consider it. for the meanwhilst i will look at what other people might suggest.

Thanks a lot for your help!

I would spend the extra 50 as well there is just not a intel alternative at that pricepoint. We are talking about a ryzen 5 4500u which beats their best low power cpu which is a i7 10710U with 6 cores too but a lot more expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

 

Thanks for the additional information, currently Ryzen processors hold the lead over Intel when it comes to multi-threaded performance which you are really going to want for video editing. AMD Ryzen 5/7 3rd gen or 2nd gen processors are likely the best options within your budget.

 

I would overall recommend this laptop (considering budget, battery life, processing, RAM, storage, etc):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-X412DA-Processor-Windows/dp/B081NKW4MS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18Q5A0K977TGH&dchild=1&keywords=asus+vivobook&qid=1594649643&refinements=p_89%3AASUS%2Cp_n_feature_fourteen_browsebin%3A8322506031&rnid=8322536031&s=computers&sprefix=asus+vi%2Caps%2C275&sr=1-3

Hi, thanks i didn't see this post a minute ago. that seems like the best option so far! thanks a lot i will definatley consider it! also i am just quite nervouse about getting ryzen as i have never had one before, would you recomend it for multi tasking and video editing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

At this budget it's hard to find a new, decent model. Fine with used/refurb options?

Preferably not.

Thanks a lot for your time and help, i really appriciate it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I would spend the extra 50 as well there is just not a intel alternative at that pricepoint. We are talking about a ryzen 5 4500u which beats their best low power cpu which is a i7 10710U with 6 cores too but a lot more expensive.

I think this one is the best option so far: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VivoBook-X412DA-Processor-Windows/dp/B081NKW4MS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=18Q5A0K977TGH&dchild=1&keywords=asus vivobook&qid=1594649643&refinements=p_89:ASUS,p_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin:8322506031&rnid=8322536031&s=computers&sprefix=asus vi,aps,275&sr=1-3&tag=linustechtips-21

thanks a lot!

Link to post
Share on other sites

By today's standard, AMD 4th gen APU clearly destroyed Intel in every corner.

For $1000 you can get the top end 4800h, 8 core 16 threads monster.

At the lower end you can get 4500u with 6 cores for less than $600.

More than enough for video editing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Any Tech said:

Oh no for sure not. This one is the best option by faaaar.

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089BJZ8T7/ref=asc_df_B089BJZ8T71594447200000/?creative=22374&creativeASIN=B089BJZ8T7&linkCode=df0&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=linustechtips-21

 

You pretty much get double the cpu power here. The vivobook is super avoiding of listing it's exact cpu but in fact it is the old ryzen 3000 which is far worse than the 4000 series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh no for sure not. This one is the best option by faaaar.

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B089BJZ8T7/ref=asc_df_B089BJZ8T71594447200000/?creative=22374&creativeASIN=B089BJZ8T7&linkCode=df0&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=linustechtips-21

 

You pretty much get double the cpu power here. The vivobook is super avoiding of listing it's exact cpu but in fact it is the old ryzen 3000 which is far worse than the 4000 series.

thanks, i will consider that also, although i dont know much about CPU, and it does cost a bit more. and its out of stock. i will see,

Thanks so so so much!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Any Tech said:

Preferably not.

Thanks a lot for your time and help, i really appriciate it!

Can consider Ideapad 5 14ARE05, even though it's slightly above your budget. Or Honor Magicbook, Huawei Matebook D15


Check out my laptop reviews here

 

My daily driver: Lenovo Legion Y530 [REVIEW]

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-8300H Nvidia GTX1050Ti 2GB LP156WFG-SPB2 144Hz IPS 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM (2x8GB) Samsung PM981 256GB+Seagate 1TB 5400RPM

Check out my blog here

Laptop ODMsClevo, Tongfang, Quanta

 

My Phone: Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite [REVIEW] (Blue, with XUNDD hard case)

Spoiler

SDM710 6GB RAM 128GB ROM 6.39" AMOLED 48MP Sony IMX586 rear (AI triple camera)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Any Tech said:

thanks, i will consider that also, although i dont know much about CPU, and it does cost a bit more. and its out of stock. i will see,

Thanks so so so much!

Pretty much your want to avoid the ryzen 3000 series in mobile. So things like the 3500u, 3700u, 3550h, 3750h,... A lot and I do mean A LOT of sellers on amazon abuse the fact that they can just put ryzen 5 in the title and be very scarce with details about the actual cpu tricking you into thinking you are getting a new ryzen 4000 series cpu whilst you are just getting the old one. I cannot recommend the last gen 3000 series when the 4000 series exists as it's just so much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Pretty much your want to avoid the ryzen 3000 series in mobile. So things like the 3500u, 3700u, 3550h, 3750h,... A lot and I do mean A LOT of sellers on amazon abuse the fact that they can just put ryzen 5 in the title and be very scarce with details about the actual cpu tricking you into thinking you are getting a new ryzen 4000 series cpu whilst you are just getting the old one. I cannot recommend the last gen 3000 series when the 4000 series exists as it's just so much better.

oh, thanks for that. so i am really not sure, maybe i'll just pay an extra 50 for the other one if you really recomend it.

thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×