Is a Ryzen 3 3300X good for 2D AutoCAD?

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

So the systems recommended to your father will funny enough barely be better than your config as well autocad need single core and that is about it. Both cpu's are pretty much around the same single core performance as the 3300x so waaay overspending there from the IT guy. Autocad does prefer quadro's but the gtx 2060ko is also a very nice competitor because of it being a cut down 2080 whilst basically performing like one in rendering. That and the p2200 kinda hovers around a gtx 1650s in terms of autocad performance it seems so maybe not really worth the massive price hike.

So my advice would be to go with your ryzen idea but get a gtx 2060ko as that card is cheaper than the quadro and will perform better. Or look for used last gen quadro's. A 2060ko is around a p3000 level of performance but in certain tasks gets close to a 4000 from what I can gather.

Ssd wise a regular old wd blue or mx500 sata drive will do as autocad isn't disk intensive. Psu wise anything from the list I will link that is b tier or better and 500w is plenty.

For a motherboard I would recommend any msi max b450 board or if almost no price difference a b550 board either will have support for ryzen 4000.

Budget (including currency): 250.000Ft-400.000Ft (Hungarian Forint) = 800USD-1300USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AutoCAD Civil 3D 2016-2018, AutoCAD 2018

Other details 

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a build to replace my father's old workstation for a new one. Currently, his "fastest" workstation at his office has an i5-2400, 16GB of RAM and a Quadro FX 3800. Of course, with a WD Black HDD. It's struggling with 2D basic utility drawings which takes up about 5-15MB/file, so nothing heavy. When other things are running in the background, it's nearly useless. (I know, an SSD would be a big upgrade but AutoCAD is still lagging badly.)

Currently, he's using 2 FHD monitors which won't be upgraded in the near future. Maybe after 5 years, 4K displays will be more consumer-friendly and affordable. Nothing 3D or very heavy task. 

He wants a future-proof computer, so he asked for his IT guy. He offered my dad a 3300USD workstation which is in my opinion, totally unnecessary.

That one would have an i9-7920x, 64GB of RAM and a Quadro P4000.

Now, he also sent me a link for an HP Z  Tower G4 which is running on a Xeon-E-2274G, 32GB of RAM and a Quadro P2200. (+ 512GB PCIe SSD) I couldn't find price for that but with the same CPU, 16GB of RAM, half the storage and with integrated graphics, it costs between 1500-2000USD. This looks good but very expensive.

I searched for an image what my father draws usually. Or something similar, maybe 2x bigger. (I will search for more similar drawings if needed or link one of his work if possible.)

As I know, AutoCAD is not really a multithreaded application, so as I understand, the Single-thread performance on passmark is a very good point of the performance of that CPU. Now, I also made a list what I would buy which is this:

Ryzen 3 3300X

start with 16GB of RAM and upgrade that later if needed

and a Quadro P2200.

The other parts doesn't matter for now.

(SSD, nice PSU, basic case, motherboard with 4 RAM slots, it doesn't need to be fancy, just a basic turnon-work-turnoff)

As I checked the scores and comparisons, the Ryzen has a better single-core performance. I checked it on Passmark and on UserBenchmark. The Ryzen's TDP is half of the i9's. During these drawings, I don't think that the i9 would have a huge advantage at that price point.

My father runs a single-employee business (him), so it would be good if the workstation was not really expensive. 

Thank you very much for any help or advice! 🙏 Please, correct me if I'm wrong somewhere!

So the systems recommended to your father will funny enough barely be better than your config as well autocad need single core and that is about it. Both cpu's are pretty much around the same single core performance as the 3300x so waaay overspending there from the IT guy. Autocad does prefer quadro's but the gtx 2060ko is also a very nice competitor because of it being a cut down 2080 whilst basically performing like one in rendering. That and the p2200 kinda hovers around a gtx 1650s in terms of autocad performance it seems so maybe not really worth the massive price hike.

So my advice would be to go with your ryzen idea but get a gtx 2060ko as that card is cheaper than the quadro and will perform better. Or look for used last gen quadro's. A 2060ko is around a p3000 level of performance but in certain tasks gets close to a 4000 from what I can gather.

Ssd wise a regular old wd blue or mx500 sata drive will do as autocad isn't disk intensive. Psu wise anything from the list I will link that is b tier or better and 500w is plenty.

For a motherboard I would recommend any msi max b450 board or if almost no price difference a b550 board either will have support for ryzen 4000.

Thank you for your answer! I will definitely check out the RTX 2060 KO! 

My father looked strange because of the "Gaming" title but today's games need a lot more horsepower then my father's drawings.