CPU Heat problems

-Whenever i play a game, lets say The Division 2 or Warzone even small games my CPU (i7 4790 (not K version)) heats up to about 85-93c (sometimes 97c)

-Now that is only with the game open, it would probably throttle if i opened discord as well.

-I just wanted to know if there was a way to maybe undervolt/lower temps of my cpu when i am playing.

-My idle temperature stands at about 43c, but i get amazed at how it jumps to 85-93 when i game and when i tab out it jumps to 70c immediately.

-Everything else works with normal temperature.

-I also doubt the CPU is faulty (not quite sure), i also even formated my pc yesterday just incase i had any virus.

The PC is 1 and a half year old.

20200713_132308.jpg

20200713_132925.jpg

20200713_133153.jpg

that cooler seems a bit anemic to me, in any case, try to reseat the cooler and change the thermal paste.

I would suggest replacing your current one since it seems to be a bit too small for your CPU

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

Have you also checked temps using HWiNFO64, just to make sure it's not just Speccy being Speccy, as in bad?

Do you happen to know how old the thermal paste on the CPU/cooler is?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Have you also checked temps using HWiNFO64, just to make sure it's not just Speccy being Speccy, as in bad?

Do you happen to know how old the thermal paste on the CPU/cooler is?

I am not entirely sure how old it is because i did not build it myself i bought it off from a deal 500 Euros, but assuming it was new at the time it means its probably as old as i mentioned up (1 year and a half at most 2) i thought about changing thermal paste but did not want to ruin my warrant but who cares i already opened it, i just feel as if maybe the fans could be the problem, i also put the CPU power to 80% because it probably would throttle if i did not. 

And yes i checked with HWMonitor and MSIAfterburn RT. They all displayed it at least above 90c which is not normal.

6 minutes ago, A4rius said:

I am not entirely sure how old it is because i did not build it myself i bought it off from a deal 500 Euros, but assuming it was new at the time it means its probably as old as i mentioned up (1 year and a half at most 2) i thought about changing thermal paste but did not want to ruin my warrant but who cares i already opened it, i just feel as if maybe the fans could be the problem, i also put the CPU power to 80% because it probably would throttle if i did not. 

And yes i checked with HWMonitor and MSIAfterburn RT. They all displayed it at least above 90c which is not normal.

My guess is that it's just very old piss poor thermal paste. 

I was inclined to say that it's also the cooler being too puny, but the 4790 is only a 70-80W chip, and it doesn't even have the old horrible TIM underneath the IHS like on the Haswell 4770 for example.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

like others said change thermal past

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

My guess is that it's just very old piss poor thermal paste. 

I was inclined to say that it's also the cooler being too puny, but the 4790 is only a 70-80W chip, and it doesn't even have the old horrible TIM underneath the IHS like on the Haswell 4770 for example.

My guess was the fans interrupted the airflow since they are so close and one looks to small for the CPU, i even tried to remove the glass which basically removed my warrant but still did not change the temperature, even cooled the room with AC still no better results. I assume the problem should be 70% thermal paste 30% fan problem. I will change it and try it out, thank you for your aid Chief.

38 minutes ago, A4rius said:

-Whenever i play a game, lets say The Division 2 or Warzone even small games my CPU (i7 4790 (not K version)) heats up to about 85-93c (sometimes 97c)

-Now that is only with the game open, it would probably throttle if i opened discord as well.

-I just wanted to know if there was a way to maybe undervolt/lower temps of my cpu when i am playing.

-My idle temperature stands at about 43c, but i get amazed at how it jumps to 85-93 when i game and when i tab out it jumps to 70c immediately.

-Everything else works with normal temperature.

-I also doubt the CPU is faulty (not quite sure), i also even formated my pc yesterday just incase i had any virus.

The PC is 1 and a half year old.

20200713_132308.jpg

20200713_132925.jpg

20200713_133153.jpg

no disrespect but this cooler looks like intel's stock one is way better... and we all know that intel's fan is as good as a 3 dollars desk fan.

my suggestion is getting maybe even a 120mm AIO liquid cooler.

saw online that haswell chip do run quite toasty so a liquid coler will be good.

i have the same problem as you with my i5 3550.

when gaming and rendering temps would reach up to 93c, and the idle temp was around 55c - all stock so even a slight overclock would cause it to run even hotter.

so, i threw that stock intel cooler and replaced it with a corsair h100x 240mm liquid cooler.

idle temps are now 38-39c and the maximum temp that i got was 65c under a full load, tried stress testing it, rendered the same video that got the cpu to 93c with the stock cooler, games, i tried everything. max temp that i got is 65c with a 3.9ghz-4.0ghz overclock (base clock is 3.3ghz and auto up to 3.7ghz)

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee