Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AmirJustin

pc building mini business??

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys, I have build my own PC and built  a few for family and friends. Ideally I would like to setup a little pc building business to earn some money over lockdown. (I am 15 btw) This would probably be selling PCs on ebay. Do you think this would work? And if so how would I deal with if their computer had an issue or something (I'd rather not have to do that). Is this something worthwhile doing or should I just stick to building for people I know? Thanks for anyones ideasusps tracking showbox speed test

2 minutes ago, AmirJustin said:

Do you think this would work?

Depends on your prices. And if you have an idea on how to make it profitable. 

3 minutes ago, AmirJustin said:

(I am 15 btw)

Well you will need money in the first place to make PC's and then sell them. 

Is it worth it? I mean it depends. If you have the recourses to do it and you have a plan on how to make it profitable. You can maybe try it out. If you have no plan as to how to make it. Organize it, build it etc. Then avoid it imo. 

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

I've tried that. I made a few PC configurations and listed it Ebay (actually, not Ebay but a Dutch equivalent). I didn't expect to sell any but within the first month I sold 5. After that I stopped selling them because there were a lot of things I didn't foresee such as shipping and warranty. When you sell somthing to a costumer you are the one that they should contact when they have difficulties with their PC. You are committed to it for at least 2 years. But, maybe you don't mind that.

Linus also did a video about this:

usually people pay extra on pre-builts because they come with warranty and repairs.

buying new components, unpacking them and assembling them into a pc make them lose values, as they are now not new, and it's also difficult to transfer the warranty of individual components to the new owner. so you'd have to sell the pc for less than the sum of prices of the new components. and that's losing.

what you could do is look for and bid on used components, hoping to get good deals, assemble the pcs and sell them as used. that's the only way I can see you could make some profit.

otherwise, if you have enough friends/family to assemble and troubleshoot for, just ask them for like a $50 or $100 build fee.

7 minutes ago, EPieter said:

I've tried that. I made a few PC configurations and listed it Ebay (actually, not Ebay but a Dutch equivalent). I didn't expect to sell any but within the first month I sold 5. After that I stopped selling them because there were a lot of things I didn't foresee such as shipping and warranty. When you sell somthing to a costumer you are the one that they should contact when they have difficulties with their PC. You are committed to it for at least 2 years. But, maybe you don't mind that.

You should just sell the building process. That way your customers can buy the parts for cheaper and you dont have to give warranty to anything else than your work.

20 minutes ago, EPieter said:

Linus also did a video about this:

How did you ship the PC's? Doesn't the GPU break when you ship a pc?

20 minutes ago, Bulls420 said:

How did you ship the PC's? Doesn't the GPU break when you ship a pc?

Well, that was one of the reasons I stopped. I just shipped the GPU separately and recorded a video on how to install it.

35 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

You should just sell the building process. That way your customers can buy the parts for cheaper and you dont have to give warranty to anything else than your work.

The last 2 PC I sold I gave them the invoice number so they could contact the shop where I bought the part without involving me.