How does GPU overclock with Boost 3.0 works?

e22big

I have been hearing when B3.0 first came out that it's now useless to overclock your GPU, so long as you have a thermal headroom B3.0 will boost your GPU clockspeed to the best possible result automatically. I saw in one of Jay Two Cents video where he practically slibe both the core speed and memory speed to the max and nothing would happen. 

So with this assumption, I tried to overclock my 1070ti by just creating an aggressive fan profile. My GPU run cool at consistent 50c even in 4k gaming but I don't get any signal boost at all, however when I went back to my normal overclock method (increase core and memory speed in conjuction with aggressive fan profile) my GPU boost to 2000ghz from 1800ghz easily and I saw nearly 10 percent jump in fps performance. 

So now I am confused, am I supposed to fiddle with the core and memory speed setting or not with B3.0? If so do I still need to find the sweet spot where I can do stable overclock or do I just push both speed to the max and just let B3.0 do the figuring where my boost speed should be? I know for a fact that I experiece some crash in Time Spy if I push the signal above 2000ghz but don't know if that's will happen in actual game with B3.0

It would depend on how aggressive the thermal and temperature targets are, as well as the max power draw for the particular card. The profile might just be a little conservative, or you might be being overly aggressive with your OC. Did you really stress the card to ensure you were  100% stable? Sometimes it might run fine for a while and then rando crash on you. That's not technically a stable OC.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

22 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

It would depend on how aggressive the thermal and temperature targets are, as well as the max power draw for the particular card. The profile might just be a little conservative, or you might be being overly aggressive with your OC. Did you really stress the card to ensure you were  100% stable? Sometimes it might run fine for a while and then rando crash on you. That's not technically a stable OC.

Yes, I did stress test because I try to do a traditional overclock before. I know for a fact that the current target speed I set is stable and it run basically cool in game (50c stable even at 2000ghz.) In synthetic benchmark where I did stress test though, it crashed when I go pass 2000 but the GPU run a lot hotter then (70-80c)

That's why I am thinking about going all out in game and let B3.0 do the downclocking when needed - if they did that, like I said, I don't even know how it works any more but I have a lot of thermal headroom for sure in my use case. 

1 minute ago, e22big said:

Yes, I did stress test because I try to do a traditional overclock before. I know for a fact that the current target speed I set is stable and it run basically cool in game (50c stable even at 2000ghz.) In synthetic benchmark where I did stress test though, it crashed when I go pass 2000 but the GPU run a lot hotter then (70-80c)

That's why I am thinking about going all out in game and let B3.0 do the downclocking when needed - if they did that, like I said, I don't even know how it works any more but I have a lot of thermal headroom for sure in my use case. 

Again, it's not just about thermals though. It's also voltage, and the card is making the decision about what it feels is a safe draw. It might be being overly conservative, but remember, they're factoring in potential RMAs, so whatever algorithm it's using I'm sure is going to stay well under max. You have the ability to push it to max, but that's on you then, and Nvidia is going to tell you to stick it if you break it. Not that you will. I mean you might be able to run your OC for the next 10 years without issue, but it's just that the built in boost probably is never going to push it that far, just in case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Again, it's not just about thermals though. It's also voltage, and the card is making the decision about what it feels is a safe draw. It might be being overly conservative, but remember, they're factoring in potential RMAs, so whatever algorithm it's using I'm sure is going to stay well under max. You have the ability to push it to max, but that's on you then, and Nvidia is going to tell you to stick it if you break it. Not that you will. I mean you might be able to run your OC for the next 10 years without issue, but it's just that the built in boost probably is never going to push it that far, just in case.

so basically GPU OC still work basically the same way? guess B3.0 is just marketing gimmick after all

I just let mine boost as they run cool enough to hit max boost. I don’t oc my cards as there isn’t a gain worth the heat that would I turn lower the clock. 

Not worth 2-3 frames in my case. 
Mine stop boosting around the 39-42c range so going lower isn’t gaining me much. And the hotter it gets the more steps I lose. 

All but my 1080ti boost to 2000 and they can all oc to 2100+ range. 

Do which ever makes you happy. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

I just let mine boost as they run cool enough to hit max boost. I don’t oc my cards as there isn’t a gain worth the heat that would I turn lower the clock. 

Not worth 2-3 frames in my case. 
Mine stop boosting around the 39-42c range so going lower isn’t gaining me much. And the hotter it gets the more steps I lose. 

All but my 1080ti boost to 2000 and they can all oc to 2100+ range. 

Do which ever makes you happy. 

after doing a bit of research, turn out my 1070ti actually already got boosted a lot beyond base clock by B3.0, it just wasn't enough for me as I like to game on 4k when possible

funny enough, with traditional overclock, I am surprised how much performance this card can pull out (although turn out not every game can be overclock with rock solid stability