NVidia ends 'Turing' card production midst, making room for 'Ampere' cards midst the mining resurgence

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

All of that is correct. I was commenting more based on Pascal. I seem to recall those GPUs being discontinued a few months ahead of Turing, not ~1 month before launch.

I'm struggling to remember that far back. Was that still catching the tail end of the mining boom? I do recall 1080Ti pricing going up but I don't recall their availability at the end of 2018.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 7/13/2020 at 6:34 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Fucking hell, mining is making a comeback? Can 2020 get any worse? Won't be able to even get a gpu for a decent price before the eventual death by cytokine storm? smh

dont worry its really not, bitcoin simply recovered its lost value, but mining with gpus is still really far from the profitability levels of previous years 

48 minutes ago, porina said:

I'm struggling to remember that far back. Was that still catching the tail end of the mining boom? I do recall 1080Ti pricing going up but I don't recall their availability at the end of 2018.

i dont think mining was even a thing in the minds of people during pascal

😕

4 minutes ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

mining was there, nvidia simply wasn't really competitive against the 480 and 470

26 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

mining was there, nvidia simply wasn't really competitive against the 480 and 470

Except all the GTX 1060 6GB you couldn't buy because of it...

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Except all the GTX 1060 6GB you couldn't buy because of it...

which only happened after the amd line was completely out of stock

9 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

which only happened after the amd line was completely out of stock

Well, it happened nonetheless.

According to Coinbase.com, Crypto has been relatively unchanged since 12 months ago.

Disclaimer - Incoming conjecture:

• But, if nation-states (such as the UK) and China start offering their own crypto currency, there will be a run on hardware. But, that remains to be seen; and IMHO that's predicated on staying ahead of hyper-inflation via Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) as a precursor. But, let's be honest here. If we have hyper-inflation that warrants sovereign crypto currency, we've got much MUCH bigger problems! Purchasing a GPU will be on the very low end of the priority list in life.

3 hours ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

Pascal was very much used for mining. It generally wasn't as good as AMD cards for Ethereum, which was the main GPU coin to mine at the time, but there was another one who's name I forgot where it did relatively well on. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 7/12/2020 at 10:29 PM, PoopThatTookAPee said:

but what i dont understand is the discontinuation of the 'Turing' series. why not continue production for them as well? their prices would drop, buyers have more options to choose from, ranging from different prices. customers neednt be forced to buy only the new and expensive hardware

I would say it's more likely the case that it wouldn't be as economical to continue selling Turing GPUs at a price that would make them competitive with their newest offerings. I mean 7nm saves alot of money on die sizes so they can produce more powerful gpus for cheaper. Why would they continue selling gpus that are more expensive to make at lower prices? It just doesn't make sense so they stopped production. 

Didn't Turing initially get pushed back specifically because they had a massive overstock on 10-series cards? I seem to recall numerous news stories about how there were warehouses full of 1060s that they were trying to shift to prevent them from taking away from the newer generation. 

I'd assume that this move is just to avoid a similar scenario. 

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I would say it's more likely the case that it wouldn't be as economical to continue selling Turing GPUs at a price that would make them competitive with their newest offerings. I mean 7nm saves alot of money on die sizes so they can produce more powerful gpus for cheaper. Why would they continue selling gpus that are more expensive to make at lower prices? It just doesn't make sense so they stopped production. 

that does make sense, but it still seems a little...off. cards like the 1650 and 1660 series neednt have been discontinued, there is no other reliable option in the market, other than the relatively outdated polaris gpus.

it seems like just another marketing fad that im not a fan of 😛

😕

7 hours ago, porina said:

Pascal was very much used for mining. It generally wasn't as good as AMD cards for Ethereum, which was the main GPU coin to mine at the time, but there was another one who's name I forgot where it did relatively well on. 

10 hours ago, cj09beira said:

oh so this devil of a concept has been around during pascal? damn i didnt even know people considered pascal for mining; i believed it was only bang-value polaris cards

😕

1 hour ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

oh so this devil of a concept has been around during pascal? damn i didnt even know people considered pascal for mining; i believed it was only bang-value polaris cards

Yep, all nearly GPU's were effected by the mining craze, just some were bought as a last resort rather than a first option.   There are several rather large threads on this forum that discuss how mining has effected GPU sales and at what point.   I wish I could remember what they were called because not all the threads started out as mining discussion.

From memory one of them was about NVIDIA flooding stock channels or investor updates being questioned or something along those lines.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

that does make sense, but it still seems a little...off. cards like the 1650 and 1660 series neednt have been discontinued, there is no other reliable option in the market, other than the relatively outdated polaris gpus.

it seems like just another marketing fad that im not a fan of 😛

GTX 1600 series was just a filler card that was destined to die off relatively quickly. It had a weird naming scheme and was stuffed into an RTX lineup without ray tracing functionality after the fact.

I don't think this time it'll repeat as they'll just push out RTX cards from 3050 to 3080Ti.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

GTX 1600 series was just a filler card that was destined to die off relatively quickly. It had a weird naming scheme and was stuffed into an RTX lineup without ray tracing functionality after the fact.

I don't think this time it'll repeat as they'll just push out RTX cards from 3050 to 3080Ti.

3050? theyre bringing those back? damn. id expected the series to start from the 3060 till the 3080ti, or a 3090 if theres gonna be one

😕

Why wouldn't they? The range always starts with 50. It was only during some time when they had models with 30. Was it GT 1030 ?

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Why wouldn't they? The range always starts with 50. It was only during some time when they had models with 30. Was it GT 1030 ?

Yes, there is (was) a GT 1030 used primarly in OEM machines. They pull 30 watts from the PCIe slot and are used primarily for just Windows GDI acceleration and video playback offloading via NVDEC.

The 50's are the common thing tho. GTX 1050Ti seems to be pretty popular among people. I see no reason why there wouldn't be any RTX 3050Ti. In all honesty, RTX 2060 was perfectly workable with ray tracing in games. Not spectacular, but it was playable. RTX 3050Ti has to fill in at least RTX 2060 shoes in terms of performance if not even being better than that. So, yeah it seems reasonable for RTX 3050Ti to exist and actually have RTX as standard. Doing another GTX lineup refresh would be just stupid at this point if you ask me.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The 50's are the common thing tho. GTX 1050Ti seems to be pretty popular among people. I see no reason why there wouldn't be any RTX 3050Ti. In all honesty, RTX 2060 was perfectly workable with ray tracing in games. Not spectacular, but it was playable. RTX 3050Ti has to fill in at least RTX 2060 shoes in terms of performance if not even being better than that. So, yeah it seems reasonable for RTX 3050Ti to exist and actually have RTX as standard. Doing another GTX lineup refresh would be just stupid at this point if you ask me.

esports do not need rt

6 hours ago, StDragon said:

Yes, there is (was) a GT 1030 used primarly in OEM machines. They pull 30 watts from the PCIe slot and are used primarily for just Windows GDI acceleration and video playback offloading via NVDEC.

The 1030 is completely useless except for h264 video decoding. No encoding at all, no VP8 or h265 4:4:4

Quite honestly it astounds me that anyone bought these and thought they were going to use them as a second monitor output. They perform worse than a GTX 650Ti. The GTX 950 is more than double the performance of the GT 1030, and the 1050 was a bit more than double. 

The GT 1030 was basically designed to be a fanless GPU to go in fanless low-profile SFF ITX systems. Any other use case you would have been better off with the 1050Ti or 1060. At least then you get all the features and most games will do 1080p easily. The 1030 does not do this at all.

31 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The GT 1030 was basically designed to be a fanless GPU to go in fanless low-profile SFF ITX systems.

Correct.

It's not marketed for gaming insomuch as offering the ability to add another monitor with direct GPU access (Because those USB DisplayLink virtual adapters are garbage).

It's worth noting however that a GT 1030 is at least 1/3rd faster than the Intel UHD 630 iGPU. 

The 1030 is completely useless except for h264 video decoding.

According to the Nvidia encode/decode support matrix, the GT 1030 will decode (NVDEC) H.265 4:2:0 12-bit as well along with VP9. But, encoding (NVENC) is not available.

2 hours ago, pas008 said:

esports do not need rt

Esports stuff can run on a coffee grinder... You don't need any graphic card at all.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

The 1030 is completely useless except for h264 video decoding. No encoding at all, no VP8 or h265 4:4:4

Quite honestly it astounds me that anyone bought these and thought they were going to use them as a second monitor output. They perform worse than a GTX 650Ti. The GTX 950 is more than double the performance of the GT 1030, and the 1050 was a bit more than double. 

The GT 1030 was basically designed to be a fanless GPU to go in fanless low-profile SFF ITX systems. Any other use case you would have been better off with the 1050Ti or 1060. At least then you get all the features and most games will do 1080p easily. The 1030 does not do this at all.

I am using a GT 1030, while my rtx 2080 is in RMA and I play lots of games with the 1030.. not anything crazy, but even modern adventure games play perfectly fine or rogue-light games etc. The GT 1030 is the perfect extra card to have lying around! It can also play old games without any issues. The card is obviously not meant for gaming ofc, but it does do that just fine.. I reckon it could be used perfectly in a little gaming PC for the kids.

I makes good sense what they are doing tbh. I would stop production of the 2xxx series as well if it was me. I have not heard and don´t believe there is any mining resurgence.

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Esports stuff can run on a coffee grinder... You don't need any graphic card at all.

but esports players? (idk what theyre called), can do with 3080ti performance without the rt, which makes sense to produce cards without the rt cores so people uninterested in them can get the gtx 3080 for a lesser price as well. not only esports players, normal consumers who dont want rt, can get a gtx card of the same series and build, without the rt, than cheaper price than the rtx variant of the same card.

😕