Any Canadian PC part retailers recommendations (beside Amazon, Newegg & Canada Computer)?

Waifu4Life

Besides the Newegg.ca, Amazon.ca and Canada Computer, do you guys know of any other Canadian computer part retailers that offer good prices and variety? 

Pretty much anything on PCPP is a decent store.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

From what I’ve heard, Memory express is good

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

With shipping and taxes included, I usually find Newegg to be cheaper than other stores (including Amazon) for where I live (Quebec), even if sometimes their prices are a bit higher than the competition, it's pointless if said competition charges like 30$ in shipping fee or charges you the full 15% tax on goods (Amazon... Newegg doesn't have a physical presence in the province, so it's only 5% tax.)

That said, Memory Express is good.

You might be able to find a local store as well. We have Microbytes here, their website is utter trash(slow AF) and their prices aren't that great in comparison to online stores like Newegg. But it's nice to have a brick and mortar store you can go and just, buy parts that you need without having to wait for shipping.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

30 minutes ago, the_importer said:

Besides the Newegg.ca, Amazon.ca and Canada Computer, do you guys know of any other Canadian computer part retailers that offer good prices and variety? 

NCI... oh, wait.

B&H Photo Video also ships to Canada reasonably, but are US based.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, svmlegacy said:

NCI... oh, wait.

B&H Photo Video also ships to Canada reasonably, but are US based.

lol, I knew someone would try to make an NCIX joke. Ya, I want to avoid order from the US because

1- Duty fees tend to cost more than Canadian taxes in the end

2- The pandemic is slowing down packages from across the boarders

1 minute ago, the_importer said:

lol, I knew someone would try to make an NCIX joke. Ya, I want to avoid order from the US because

As a fellow Canadian, I know this pain all too well

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, the_importer said:

If you're in Canada you don't pay US tax, you will still pay Canadian tax, and most computer parts don't have duty fees.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

and most computer parts don't have duty fees.

As long as you don't ship with UPS.

The robbers at UPS will attempt to charge you duty fees on anything and everything, even when there shouldn't be any. (in my experience anyway, YMMV)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you're in Canada you don't pay US tax, you will still pay Canadian tax, and most computer parts don't have duty fees.

I've been ordering online for over 20 years, I know how this works. They will charge me duty fees which they will taxes for both Canada and Provincial taxes. In the end, it will cost me more than if I were to purchase locally. This is of course not counting that Paypal or whatever credit card merchant they use will use a higher exchange rate which would cost me more than to buy it from the Canadian default MSRP. Moral of the story, never import unless it's not available in your country or VERY cheap (like it's 2nd hand or something).

15 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

The robbers at UPS will attempt to charge you duty fees on anything and everything, even when there shouldn't be any. (in my experience anyway, YMMV)

3rd party shipping companies will eat the cost of duty fees as well as add their own service fees on top and charge you all of this before they hand you your package. When it's ship via let's say USPS and handed to the Canadian boarder services, the reason why you don't always get duty fees is out of simple laziness since our taxes is paying their jobs (basically, like any governmental service). They tend to ignore smaller packages and only look at the declared fees of the bigger ones. Also, packages coming via Airmail tends to get a free  pass more often than ground packages. 

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

That's fair, though even with UPS it's not really duty but their brokerage and other fees.

There's a simple form you can fill out and mail to the CBSA to get a remittance for improperly calculated duty. I was going through a border crossing and they labeled my mountain bike parts as motorcycle parts, and I was charged additional fees as well as PST (they're exempt). Cost me an extra $1,000 that I didn't notice until I was going through my paperwork, but they refunded it without question.

2 minutes ago, the_importer said:

I've been ordering online for over 20 years, I know how this works. They will charge me duty fees which they will taxes for both Canada and Provincial taxes. In the end, it will cost me more than if I were to purchase locally. This is of course not counting that bother Paypal or whatever credit card merchant they use will use a higher exchange rate which would cost me more than to buy it from the Canadian default MSRP. Moral of the story, never import unless it's not available in your country or VERY cheap (like it's 2nd hand or something).

Some parts have duty, some don't. The lists are available online to the public. If you're paying fees you don't need to, that's really on you and your ordering practices.

eBay, for example, lumps it in even when it's not required on several items.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Memory Express is my go-to. I have a retail location down the street.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Some parts have duty, some don't. The lists are available online to the public. If you're paying fees you don't need to, that's really on you and your ordering practices.

eBay, for example, lumps it in even when it's not required on several items.

Never heard of such a list. The only exceptions to avoid duty fees (minus the laziness luck mentioned before) is to order items $20 CAD or under or to have item at $60 CAD or less marked as a gift, something that legally speaking, no retailer is allowed to do. If there is such a list, please provide a link.

20 minutes ago, YellowJersey said:

Memory Express is my go-to. I have a retail location down the street.

Ya, I played around their website, looked good at first, but then 2 items (MB and CPU) were not available online, only in stores. I don't know who the web designer, but the option "available" should mean available online by default, I shouldn't have to specify online since I'm an online shopping website 😣

41 minutes ago, the_importer said:

Never heard of such a list. The only exceptions to avoid duty fees (minus the laziness luck mentioned before) is to order items $20 CAD or under or to have item at $60 CAD or less marked as a gift, something that legally speaking, no retailer is allowed to do. If there is such a list, please provide a link.

It's not an exemption, they simply don't have a tariff attached to them. 

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2020/menu-eng.html

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not an exemption, they simply don't have a tariff attached to them. 

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2020/menu-eng.html

Pretty sure they would class any computer parts under Section XVI. Let me ask you, have you ever successfully gotten your money back from the CBSA after being charged for a computer part? If so, how much of a pain was it and was it worth your time?

On 7/12/2020 at 10:56 PM, the_importer said:

Pretty sure they would class any computer parts under Section XVI. Let me ask you, have you ever successfully gotten your money back from the CBSA after being charged for a computer part? If so, how much of a pain was it and was it worth your time?

It's not really a section, every type of part has a different HS code, and that's what determines it's tariff rate.

For instance, with mountain bikes a full bike could see a 20% tariff, whereas one that's not complete has no tariff. I'd often just get the seller to ship the wheels in a separate box, as the additional shipping was far cheaper than paying the tariff rate on the full bike. Rims and hubs have no tariff, whereas full wheels do, etc etc.

I haven't purchased computer parts in a way that requires me to fill out customs forms, or deal with the CBSA at all; I live too far north and the way I import now is handled by a third party. As for if it's worth your time, depends how much you figure you're out. The form takes maybe 3 minutes to fill out, looking up the HS code for the paperwork takes another maybe 3 minutes, then you have to mail it in and that costs a couple bucks.

Generally, if you fill in everything neatly, you provide print outs of your receipts, highlight the prices, write the HS code that it was charged under vs the HS code that you believe it should be under, highlighted and written at the top as well as written in an accompanying letter, they'll just give it to you. Make their life easier, they'll do the same to you. When I'd bring stuff across the border, I'd have maybe $10k in bike parts, and $1-2k in personal stuff, usually clothes or items that had high tariff rates (10 - 20%). I'd have print outs of all of my Paypal transactions, the HS code written at the top and the paper, divided into the different categories, prices highlighted, etc. Only once did I get charged the full amount, by a rookie. The rest of the time the officer would ask "do you mind if I just throw this all under x HS code? It's just a lot easier." It was always one with 0% duty, because I took a little time out of my life to make his life easier.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler