Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pixxel

Water trapped between my LCD

Posted · Original PosterOP

I've been using a Lenovo Thinkpad t460s as my daily driver for the past week and its been great. But today I decided to get the stickers off of it and clean the device. Removing the stickers involved leaving soapy water on the lid for about 20 minutes so all of the adhesive would dissolve and the stickers would come off. No water seemed to get off the lid and into any ports or anything because they were blocked. However, I didn't cover the seem between the front plastic rim and the LDC screen because I thought that gravity would keep the water away from getting inside. Turns out I was very wrong. As soon as I turned on my device I saw a water blotch that covered 1/2 of my screen. The device worked perfectly otherwise. My display was visible and perfectly usable, but the water clouds in the screen did get worse throughout the day. The water got more and more spread out and is now covering my entire display in blotches and making the back light distort. I am currently typing on the device with no functionality issues. The only problem is that the screen is covered in water blotches and is hard to use. This isn't a terrible issue because I'm building a desktop sometime this week, but I'd like to have this machine when i'm around the house or traveling.

I need a fix for this soon because I don't want to have any further blotching or potential damage to my system. Pictures are attached:

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

Ideally, you would open up the screen and leave it open for a week or so to dry. Pointing fans at it to increase airflow would also be good. Linus actually did something like this when his laptop got left in the rain and it worked perfectly fine after.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

3 minutes ago, PC LOAD LETTER said:

See if you can take it apart and put it in a bag of rice if you can't separate the layers.

I dont have a pry tool to separate the display, I can try using a plastic knife...

Good luck getting the water out. If it doesn't air dry in a few days/weeks, it's stuck there pretty much forever. Just replace the display.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

Ideally, you would open up the screen and leave it open for a week or so to dry. Pointing fans at it to increase airflow would also be good. Linus actually did something like this when his laptop got left in the rain and it worked perfectly fine after.

I'm typing from the device now :3 fumctionally its perfect, but the screen just looks terrible. I can try opening up the display, leaving the fan in my room on full blast overnight and see what that does.

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Good luck getting the water out. If it doesn't air dry in a few days/weeks, it's stuck there pretty much forever. Just replace the display.

This only happened today, I'll give it some more time. I dont really notice it until I'm watching a video or on a dark site. But thats basically all I do lol.

1 minute ago, pixxel said:

I can try opening up the display, leaving the fan in my room on full blast overnight and see what that does.

That should improve it a lot, but if you can leave it like that longer, it would be better.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Just now, pixxel said:

This only happened today, I'll give it some more time. I dont really notice it until I'm watching a video or on a dark site. But thats basically all I do lol.

Well if you don't mind, then it doesn't really matter. But air drying is realistically the only way it's gonna get out.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

i use arch btw

1 minute ago, pixxel said:

I'm typing from the device now :3 fumctionally its perfect, but the screen just looks terrible. I can try opening up the display, leaving the fan in my room on full blast overnight and see what that does.

I would give it at least a few days. I'd also remove the battery and keep it unplugged.

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

That should improve it a lot, but if you can leave it like that longer, it would be better.

I'll do this everyday, and once I build my pc I wont even have to use it :3

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Well if you don't mind, then it doesn't really matter. But air drying is realistically the only way it's gonna get out.

I'm planning on doing that, I'll open up the display tonight and leave it upside down for the next day or two.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I would give it at least a few days. I'd also remove the battery and keep it unplugged.

It's my daily driver so I have to use it until my pc is built later this week. But as soon as I do that I'll leave it under my desk open until I see that it's dry. Until then I'll open up he display every night and blast it with a fan.

22 minutes ago, pixxel said:

It's my daily driver so I have to use it until my pc is built later this week. But as soon as I do that I'll leave it under my desk open until I see that it's dry. Until then I'll open up he display every night and blast it with a fan.

It can be really bad to use electronics with water inside (common sense)

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

It can be really bad to use electronics with water inside (common sense)

I'm building a pc sometime this week so I wont have to worry about this laptop then, I'll try my best to stay off it as much as possible until then.

Update! Left the display cracked open overnight and it looks so much better today! I think in a few days of doing this all of the water will be gone :3 Thanks for the help everyone!!!