FreeNAS and remote access

Hi all this is my first post! This is my first FreeNAS server and I would like sole help/advice. I have to mapped and configured for my LAN but I’m trying to set FreeNAS up so I can access my server/documents/photos and such while I’m at college. I also wanted it to Mickey integrate with Windows explorer. Also my sister uses a MacBook and I wanted to know if there was a way for her to access it remotely as well. Thanks!

If you enable the SSH service and configure Port Forwarding on your router pointing to the FreeNAS server's Static IP you should be able to connect with a SFTP client by connecting to your homes Public IP or by setting up a Dynamic DNS service and connecting to the hostname.

Do note though some colleges block the ability to use SSH to connect to resources outside the college network. If you run into this there are other possibilities but we cannot assist any form of circumvention.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If you enable the SSH service and configure Port Forwarding on your router pointing to the FreeNAS server's Static IP you should be able to connect with a SFTP client by connecting to your homes Public IP or by setting up a Dynamic DNS service and connecting to the hostname.

Do note though some colleges block the ability to use SSH to connect to resources outside the college network. If you run into this there are other possibilities but we cannot assist any form of circumvention.

My problem is that I’ve port forwarded 22 but it isn’t open publicly and I can’t tell why. I don’t have a firewall blocking it either

1 minute ago, Jhorvath said:

My problem is that I’ve port forwarded 22 but it isn’t open publicly and I can’t tell why. I don’t have a firewall blocking it either

This can happen for a couple of reasons. Did you verify the service is running locally? Can you SSH into the server with it's Private IP?

Next you have to make sure it's IP is Static and that it's set the same in the Routers Port Forwarding menu and that this is enabled in your router.

From there a online port tester should get a response back from the router that the server responded to the router.

Also you may prefer not to use Port 22 on the Public side. Bots on the internet will scan ports, 22 being popular. They will then try to guess your password and break in. Best to use a much higher port number and Public/Private Key authentication if you can.

26 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

This can happen for a couple of reasons. Did you verify the service is running locally? Can you SSH into the server with it's Private IP?

Next you have to make sure it's IP is Static and that it's set the same in the Routers Port Forwarding menu and that this is enabled in your router.

From there a online port tester should get a response back from the router that the server responded to the router.

Also you may prefer not to use Port 22 on the Public side. Bots on the internet will scan ports, 22 being popular. They will then try to guess your password and break in. Best to use a much higher port number and Public/Private Key authentication if you can.

Are there any guides online that can help me with that? Like the public/private key part

Just now, Jhorvath said:

Are there any guides online that can help me with that? Like the public/private key part

Off the top of my head, no. I really aught to write one though. It'd be pretty easy.

Now I'm not up to date with FreeNAS's latest WebUI but I can walk you though setting up Public/Private key authentication.

I have to go soon but I can go over the first couple steps. Download WinSCP it's a free SFTP client. From the Tools button click on PuTTYgen. This can generate a RSA-2048 bit key pair that you can also password protect (kind of a F2A - I recommend it) this is compatible (last I checked) with FreeNAS. You can read into it more in the meantime but this should get you started.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Off the top of my head, no. I really aught to write one though. It'd be pretty easy.

Now I'm not up to date with FreeNAS's latest WebUI but I can walk you though setting up Public/Private key authentication.

I have to go soon but I can go over the first couple steps. Download WinSCP it's a free SFTP client. From the Tools button click on PuTTYgen. This can generate a RSA-2048 bit key pair that you can also password protect (kind of a F2A - I recommend it) this is compatible (last I checked) with FreeNAS. You can read into it more in the meantime but this should get you started.

Thanks so much for the quick replies! One last question does this sync nicely with windows explorer or is it like a desperate application like one drive to login to?

10 minutes ago, Jhorvath said:

Thanks so much for the quick replies! One last question does this sync nicely with windows explorer or is it like a desperate application like one drive to login to?

I'm afraid I'm a little confused by your question. It's a standalone program. It interacts directly with your local file/folder tree and the remote servers so you can upload/download files directly to/from where it is located in your system.

If you're asking if it is capable of auto-sync the answer would be no. There's other options available if you need something like that.

20 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm afraid I'm a little confused by your question. It's a standalone program. It interacts directly with your local file/folder tree and the remote servers so you can upload/download files directly to/from where it is located in your system.

If you're asking if it is capable of auto-sync the answer would be no. There's other options available if you need something like that.

That answers my question. Yeah I’m new to this so I worded that poorly haha but yeah basically just wanted to know if you could add it as a location in file explorer so you don’t have to use a third party app. I basically say this because my parents aren’t really tech savvy so I wanted it to be right in file explorer so they know where to go

18 minutes ago, Jhorvath said:

That answers my question. Yeah I’m new to this so I worded that poorly haha but yeah basically just wanted to know if you could add it as a location in file explorer so you don’t have to use a third party app. I basically say this because my parents aren’t really tech savvy so I wanted it to be right in file explorer so they know where to go

Ah, no, it doesn't integrate into File Explorer. You have to have some level of technical understanding to setup and use SFTP with advanced features like Public/Private key authentication.

There may be other options if it needs to be made simple for them. You could setup a VPN. They would login to the VPN then they could access the server right through File Explorer.

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Ah, no, it doesn't integrate into File Explorer. You have to have some level of technical understanding to setup and use SFTP with advanced features like Public/Private key authentication.

There may be other options if it needs to be made simple for them. You could setup a VPN. They would login to the VPN then they could access the server right through File Explorer.

could you point me into the right direction to set that up?

8 hours ago, Jhorvath said:

could you point me into the right direction to set that up?