I must be getting old - hitting a point in games with no progress

Dravinian

There are a number of games I am playing at the moment where I have hit a wall in terms of progress. 

Borderlands 3 - hit a point where I am constantly running out of ammo or just being destroyed by what appears to be 30 enemies in the area at once (this is on the laser mission).

Wolcen - Lords of Mayhem - on a singular boss that I have killed and just grows into an even bigger boss...but I do understand that this game is apparently quite hard - the boss is Lambach and it is insanely hard.

Wolfenstein II (awesome game) hit a part in the Empire State building where I am just surrounded on all sides and get slaughtered - I think I can beat that, just got to try it again, but feeling a bit dispondent about it as I missed the cut scene due to a crash and I have no idea what is going on now.

I finished Jedi Order though!....albeit this is more of a story game than a difficult FPS.

Are my reactions just crap, deteriorating over time? or are these games just getting harder!

I don't think that games are getting any harder nowadays. It's more the other way around. Gameranx made a video on this topic last year. It might sound demoralizing but it's okay to lower the difficulty if you're struggling or just watch YouTube playthroughs. I usually go for the second option.

I also finished Fallen Order in the hard difficulty mode (not the extreme one though but I think I could).

i think it might be more that games are always changing the way gameplay mechanics work, and maybe the longer your gaming, the less room you have to learn the new strategies needed? just a thought. thankfully i haven't had this issue, yet...

4 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

it's okay to lower the difficulty if you're struggling 

I am pretty sure I have them on low, that is terrible isn't it...

I think the decade or two I took as a break from gaming anything outside of MMOs probably didn't help either.

2 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

pretty sure I have them on low, that is terrible isn't it

It is indeed.... Go watch YouTube playthrough videos before it's too late! You can always (re-)learn to play games.

4 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

I am pretty sure I have them on low, that is terrible isn't it...

I think the decade or two I took as a break from gaming anything outside of MMOs probably didn't help either.

Have you played Metro Exodus? It’s a fun game and not too hard. I’m an older guy and I’m progressing along just fine.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

11 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Have you played Metro Exodus? It’s a fun game and not too hard. I’m an older guy and I’m progressing along just fine.

I keep meaning to grab it, but trying to grab it on a deal, as I didn't really want to pay the asking price because I am a cheap bastard.

14 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

It is indeed.... Go watch YouTube playthrough videos before it's too late! You can always (re-)learn to play games.

I always feel like that is the same as downloading a cheat code.  Can't get pleasure beating a game if you didn't actually beat it.

Not that I know how that feels at the moment anyway....

Removed Post

Edited by ImGoneLol
Privacy Concern

41 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

I always feel like that is the same as downloading a cheat code.  Can't get pleasure beating a game if you didn't actually beat it.

Not that I know how that feels at the moment anyway....

The idea is to watch people play it and learn from them to beat the game yourself.

2 hours ago, Dravinian said:

I keep meaning to grab it, but trying to grab it on a deal, as I didn't really want to pay the asking price because I am a cheap bastard.

Aw you should’ve gotten it during the Steam Summer Sale. I grabbed Metro 2033 redux & Metro Last Light for $5 each and Metro Exodus for $19.99.

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

8 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

The idea is to watch people play it and learn from them to beat the game yourself.

Yeah, but you haven't really beat it yourself, you watched someone else learn how to beat it then copied them.

I would rather fail to be honest; which I am clearly doing exceptionally well.

7 hours ago, GamerBlake said:

Aw you should’ve gotten it during the Steam Summer Sale. I grabbed Metro 2033 redux & Metro Last Light for $5 each and Metro Exodus for $19.99.

I did look for it in the sale, but it wasn't there.

I bought the first one, in hard copy, way back in the day, could have been last light.  I think I will grab it though it was only £35, I am sure it was more the last time I looked.

9 hours ago, Dravinian said:

Yeah, but you haven't really beat it yourself, you watched someone else learn how to beat it then copied them.

I would rather fail to be honest; which I am clearly doing exceptionally well.

I did look for it in the sale, but it wasn't there.

I bought the first one, in hard copy, way back in the day, could have been last light.  I think I will grab it though it was only £35, I am sure it was more the last time I looked.

You have to go to the search bar in the store and type it in manually and it definitely was there because I got it there. You could always wait for another sale though.