Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khaoatic

Could use some help with case fans

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So im looking to perfect airflow and lower temps in my pc. Ive got a fractalmeshify c case with an 8700k at 4.8ghz and 1.28v with a 1080ti strix so as you can imagine temps are better high when playing at 1440p and 144hz for more demanding titles. Currently I have two front intake 140mm Noctua A14 PWM's, a nh-d15 cpu cooler, and a rear exhaust 120mm Noctua F12 PWM. Would adding a top exhaust help with airflow? If so what would be best, adding the second fan from the nh-d15 to the top( which i believe is a 140mm a15), adding one of the stock 120mm fans, or just buying a new 120mm fan?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Khaoatic said:

So im looking to perfect airflow and lower temps in my pc. Ive got a fractalmeshify c case with an 8700k at 4.8ghz and 1.28v with a 1080ti strix so as you can imagine temps are better high when playing at 1440p and 144hz for more demanding titles. Currently I have two front intake 140mm Noctua A14 PWM's, a nh-d15 cpu cooler, and a rear exhaust 120mm Noctua F12 PWM. Would adding a top exhaust help with airflow? If so what would be best, adding the second fan from the nh-d15 to the top( which i believe is a 140mm a15), adding one of the stock 120mm fans, or just buying a new 120mm fan?

Those all appear to be airflow optimised fans; however if their orientation is wrong, you may have problems.

Check that you can see the fan labels where the air is intended to go, to make sure of ^^^^.

5 minutes ago, Khaoatic said:

Would adding a top exhaust help with airflow?

It'll help if the build up of warmer air is too static...


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Those all appear to be airflow optimised fans; however if their orientation is wrong, you may have problems.

Check that you can see the fan labels where the air is intended to go, to make sure of ^^^^.

i’ve actually just taken them apart and realized that they are set right as intakes but in different rotations if that makes any sense. does the correct rotation matter? and also for the cpu fan should jt be set as blowing as an outtake correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Khaoatic said:

i’ve actually just taken them apart and realized that they are set right as intakes but in different rotations if that makes any sense. does the correct rotation matter? and also for the cpu fan should jt be set as blowing as an outtake correct?

'Wonky labels' is aesthetic only...

CPU - if you can't see the label, the fan is the right way round... as long as it's pushing air towards the exhaust fan, at the back, ideally through the heatsink.


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

'Wonky labels' is aesthetic only...

CPU - if you can't see the label, the fan is the right way round... as long as it's pushing air towards the exhaust fan, at the back.

so those arrows don’t matter okay as long as it’s intake. and finally i’m assuming with my set up that adding like a top exhaust wouldn’t make too much of a difference 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Khaoatic said:

so those arrows don’t matter okay as long as it’s intake. and finally i’m assuming with my set up that adding like a top exhaust wouldn’t make too much of a difference 

They show the way the fan spins & the direction the air goes... the should both be spinning in the same direction, with the air going INTO the case; that's why I mentioned the labels, as that's usually the 'exhaust side'.


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum!

10 minutes ago, Khaoatic said:

So im looking to perfect airflow and lower temps in my pc. Ive got a fractalmeshify c case with an 8700k at 4.8ghz and 1.28v with a 1080ti strix so as you can imagine temps are better high when playing at 1440p and 144hz for more demanding titles. Currently I have two front intake 140mm Noctua A14 PWM's, a nh-d15 cpu cooler, and a rear exhaust 120mm Noctua F12 PWM. Would adding a top exhaust help with airflow? If so what would be best, adding the second fan from the nh-d15 to the top( which i believe is a 140mm a15), adding one of the stock 120mm fans, or just buying a new 120mm fan?

I also have a Meshify C TG, similar setup and specs, 2x 140mm intake fans, large dual fan tower cooler, and originally 2x 120mm ( 1 back, 1 top) exhaust fans, CPU temps were always good and adding a 3rd exhaust fan really did not change much at all, maybe only 2-3 degrees C interior case temp difference , not sure about 1 Vs. 2 exhaust fans though. But if you just adjust fan curves you can make up for only have 1 exhaust fan. 


AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  Google Stadia Early Consensus

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

 

Blueberry Pi  R9 3900XT  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA 850W P2 W/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown RGB  Corsair SCIMITAR PRO RGB 

 

Torrent  R7 3800X  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (White) 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  EVGA 750W P2 W/ Black/White Sleeved Cables  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Corsair ML RGB Fans  NZXT H210 TG ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

 

Gaming PC  i7 6700k  Asus Z270-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX  Corsair Vengeance LPX (White) 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16  Asus RX5700 Dual Evo OC 8GB  Corsair TXm 550W W/ White Sleeved Cables  Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB AIO  DeepCool RF120 RGB Fans  Thermaltake Versa H18 TG mATX Case  

ViewSonic Elite XG240R 1ms 144Hz TN FreeSync  Logitech G610 Cherry MX Brown  UtechSmart Venus MMO w/ Omron Switches

 

Mini Work PC  R7 1700  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance LED 2x16GB 3200MHz CL15 (Blue)  Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB  Corsair SF 450W  Corsair H60 AIO  Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans  Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case  

LG 32MU99-W 60Hz IPS  Logitech MK710 Wireless Combo

 

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 Mini ITX Case (Grey) 

 

Laptop  Dell XPS13 (2017)  i7-7550U  16GB DDR3 RAM  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

 

Keyboard Collection ‖ GMMK Full Size Hot Swap-able ‖ TOFU96 90% ‖ Keycool KC84 75% Wireless RGB Hot Swap-able  KBD67v2 MKII 65% Hot Swap-able ‖ Drop Carina 60% RGB Hot Swap-able ‖ OLKB PLANCK 40% Ortho Linear  Cospad 20% RGB Numpad

 

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Invyr Holy Panda  Zealios V2 65g  Cherry MX Brown ‖ Gateron Black  Gateron Brown ‖ Kailh Purple

 

Key Cap Collection ‖ Star Wars GMK Boba Fett ‖ RedSuns GMK Red Samurai ‖ MITO GMK Laser CyberDeck ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  Drop Skylight Horizon

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Khaoatic said:

 as you can imagine temps are better high when playing at 1440p and 144hz for more demanding titles.

What is "high" to you? Low 70's?


"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×