I've spent around 1500$ on my build and I'm still getting pathetic performance. Help me build a better one.

I'm fairly new to the PC building community. I built my first desktop last year and it was great for a while but now it seems to me to be somewhat of a let down. As I said I'm new to this and when I built it. I had no idea as to what parts should I choose. I just did. 

Here's the current config. 

Msi Z370 pc pro motherboard 

Intel i5-8400 Cpu

Nvidia Gtx1660 To video card. 

8 gigs of 2400 mhz ram*

1tb Wd Black 5400rpm hdd

Circle 700 watt psu

Acer Predator XB241H G-sync monitor

And other msi peripherals. 

I figured that the ram is certainly not performing well. So I've bought 8*2 3200MHz Thermaltake ram. I haven't installed it yet. But I think 16 gigs ram would be enough. What else do I need to change/upgrade? 

What optimisations can I do to the software to make it better?

I'm sorry you spend 1500 bucks on this? 

No offense but it is absolutely far from being mid range. 

And what is this PSU exactly ? What do you mean by "abysmal performance". It doesn't really say a whole lot. 

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Sell the 8400 and get an 8700K. Then you'll run an all core 5ghz clock and your rig will be good for a while. Ryzen 3600X won't touch it because of the lack of frequency. The 8400 is just a little bit too low end.

5 minutes ago, Armaan199 said:

I'm fairly new to the PC building community. I built my first desktop last year and it was great for a while but now it seems to me to be somewhat of a let down. As I said I'm new to this and when I built it. I had no idea as to what parts should I choose. I just did. 

Intel i5-8400 Cpu

8 gigs of 2400 mhz ram*

1tb Wd Black 5400rpm hdd

Circle 700 watt psu

I figured that the ram is certainly not performing well. So I've bought 8*2 3200MHz Thermaltake ram. I haven't installed it yet. But I think 16 gigs ram would be enough. What else do I need to change/upgrade? 

that 5400 rpm drive must be painful, being your boot drive. obviously, this build is not worth 1500 

It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan, for we will tell you, 

what will become, of that, which you have earned

i guess the 1500 bucks include all peripherals?

that would easily be like 500 for the monitor + mouse + keyboard depending on the mouse and keyboard you bought.

but even for 1k that is not a really good build, is this a prebuild or are in from somewhere where parts are very expensive?

4 minutes ago, Armaan199 said:

What else do I need to change/upgrade? 

Perhaps see how much a used 8700 or 8700k is. 

1tb Wd Black 5400rpm hdd

Where is the SSD?

Circle 700 watt psu

What on earth is this powersupply?

Im assuming this isnt US based?

Also, what is that PSU? I've never heard of such a unit. Please send us photos, because my crappy groupreg alarm is going off @Armaan199

8 minutes ago, Armaan199 said:

I built my first desktop last year and it was great for a while but now it seems to me to be somewhat of a let down

Could you elaborate on what makes it a letdown? As in, what parts of the computer do you feel like are underpeforming?

9 minutes ago, Armaan199 said:

1tb Wd Black 5400rpm hdd

Is this your only drive? Not having an SSD will drastically lower the speed of your computer in most tasks (not game fps though). Load times into Windows, into games, etc. would be much worse.

Getting an SSD (like the ones I suggested in your other thread) and installing Windows on that would already improve the general snappiness of your PC.

Although, I would have to ask you to doublecheck what drive(s) you have. The WD Black are always 7200RPM drives, while WD Blue drives can be 5400RPM at 1TB. So doublecheck it's a Blue/Black and while you're at it, double check if you don't have an SSD too.

11 minutes ago, Armaan199 said:

I figured that the ram is certainly not performing well. So I've bought 8*2 3200MHz Thermaltake ram. I haven't installed it yet. But I think 16 gigs ram would be enough. 

16GB at 3200Mhz will be plenty. But the 8GB 2400Mhz wouldn't hinder performance a ton either.

12 minutes ago, Armaan199 said:

What else do I need to change/upgrade? What optimisations can I do to the software to make it better?

Getting an SSD (assuming you don't have one) would be the most important step 1. I especially recommend the Kingston A2000.

Other than that, I could only make suggestions on what to change/upgrade/optimize if I know a bit more about the issues you're facing with the system.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, Armaan199 said:

Intel i5-8400 Cpu

8 gigs of 2400 mhz ram*

1tb Wd Black 5400rpm hdd

Circle 700 watt psu

I hope that price includes the monitor, because that isn't worth that price at all.

As far as performance goes, number 1 thing, you need an SSD. A 5400 RPM drive for boot, games, etc, is totally unacceptable in todays day and age. That wasn't acceptable in 2012.....

Get a 1 TB SSD for windows and your main games, you can find them for under 100 bucks. Samsung 840 evo, Samsung 840 qvo, WD Blue, ADATA, plenty of options.

GPU is rather meh, its "fine", but its not very powerful.

CPU, same boat. Its certainly not a powerhouse, but with that GPU, its fine.

As far as an FPS increase goes, GPU will be your number 1 upgrade here. As far as your PC feeling totally slow, SSD is what you need.

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Sell the 8400 and get an 8700K. Then you'll run an all core 5ghz clock and your rig will be good for a while. Ryzen 3600X won't touch it because of the lack of frequency. The 8400 is just a little bit too low end.

I agree with an 8700k. But I wouldn't go for a 5 GHz OC on that mobo, its VRM is not good enough. A lot of Z370 boards VRM's just sorta suck. They can run a 8700k fine at stock, which is honestly fine for gaming, but I wouldn't push a 5 GHz all core turbo on that mobo. I would shoot for, at best, a all core 4.7 GHz turbo, and hopefully the 8700k you get can do it at sub 1.275 ish vcore... I had an 8700k do 5 GHz all core at 1.300v, but I wouldn't push that much speed or vcore through his VRM...

2 minutes ago, BillNyeThecommieSpy said:

that 5400 rpm drive must be painful, being your boot drive. obviously, this build is not worth 1500 

This............... that drive is a huge problem. Literally an SSD alone will completely change the machine from a slow pile of poo to a 2020 PC. And, also, yea I hope you didn't spend 1500 on that, maybe 1100 with the monitor...

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Never go with a no-name brand PSU.

Alienware Area 51m 2019:  RTX 2060 | i7-9700 | 32GB Corsair Vengeance (2x16GB) 2666 | 1TB 970 EVO | 240GB Corsair Force MP510.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=812790

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NZKshatriya/saved/

BACKUP SYSTEM:  ASUS Prime X470 PRO | Ryzen 5 1600 | G.skill FORTIS 16GB(2x8GB) 2400 | SanDisk SDSSDA 120GB | EVGA SuperNOVA GA 850 | HAF-XB-EVO

Just now, LIGISTX said:

Snipe'ed!

Oh for sure. I didn't think that comment all the way through. Let's just say the cpu is perfectly capable :)

Good catch!!

seriously, please, for the love of god, send us pictures of that psu. 

1 hour ago, TofuHaroto said:

And what is this PSU exactly ? What do you mean by "abysmal performance". It doesn't really say a whole lot. 

I'm sorry if my question had misled you. I meant 1500 for the whole thing. Including the 400$ monitor. The case fans, the rgb strips even the peripherals.

By pathetic I mean when I play games. It doesn't stutter for all of them. But it does for some. And for some applications it just drops frames like crazy.

Apart from that, When I code (I'm a newbie software engineer), even the cursor lags sometimes. 

These are just some of the examples i have in mind right now. But you get the idea.

That's what an HDD will do for you, even more so with not enough RAM, and 8GB isn't enough.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Hey! thanks for your help. 

Just now, BillNyeThecommieSpy said:

seriously, please, for the love of god, send us pictures of that psu. 

lol.

Oh!! Hi Bill! :D How ya doin?

16 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Plus I'm based in India. Tech is expensive here. A 1000$ iphone in the US is 1500$ here.

Just now, Armaan199 said:

Hey! thanks for your help. 

Welcome!!

Aim for maybe 4.7ghz on that board as @LIGISTX had suggested!! 

He caught me on that mistake. Put a fan on the VRMs when overclocking ;)

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

lol.

Oh!! Hi Bill! :D How ya doin?

I'm good. I'd do better after seeing this psu though, as I have no information about such a unit

1 hour ago, BillNyeThecommieSpy said:

I'm sorry if my question had misled you. I meant 1500 for the whole thing. Including the 400$ monitor. The case fans, the rgb strips even the peripherals.

By pathetic I mean when I play games. It doesn't stutter for all of them. But it does for some. And for some applications it just drops frames like crazy.

Apart from that, When I code (I'm a newbie software engineer), even the cursor lags sometimes. 

These are just some of the examples i have in mind right now. But you get the idea. Plus I'm based in India. Tech is expensive here. A 1000$ iphone in the US is 1500$ here.

Thanks for answering though

Just now, Armaan199 said:

Plus I'm based in India. Tech is expensive here. A 1000$ iphone in the US is 1500$ here.

yeah, but I've actually made better builds for Indian dudes on 'MDcomputers' for 1.1k

14 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

i guess the 1500 bucks include all peripherals?

that would easily be like 500 for the monitor + mouse + keyboard depending on the mouse and keyboard you bought.

but even for 1k that is not a really good build, is this a prebuild or are in from somewhere where parts are very expensive?

Yes it does. Plus I'm from India and computer components are fairly expensive here.

1 minute ago, BillNyeThecommieSpy said:

I'm good. I'd do better after seeing this psu though, as I have no information about such a unit

Look up Circle Raw Power PSU

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh!! Hi Bill! :D How ya doin

🤔

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Look up Circle Raw Power PSU

ah, see no internals, smells fishy