PC keeps blue screening and I have no idea whats causing it :|

Tom Taylor

Hi everyone, in the past 2 weeks my pc has started crashing every other day, (and sometimes more frequenctly than that), but when it BSOD's it doesn't give me much useful information. I will attach some screenshots of the information from the program BlueScreenView, which can hopefully shed some light on what is happening. Any help would be super as I don't really know how to aproach this.

image.thumb.png.cdf8eb223ae6f007751bab68fde23c5a.pngimage.png.3d6d37718e43aca83bccdc137bd54944.pngimage.thumb.png.628e018a66f39001a0ea7cbf84ef2cc9.png

run 7-zip's built-in benchmark at a setting that will max out your system memory, if that errors out, you have a bad stick of RAM.

found out that unintended feature of 7-zip a while back 😛

6 minutes ago, Tom Taylor said:

Hi everyone, in the past 2 weeks my pc has started crashing every other day, (and sometimes more frequenctly than that), but when it BSOD's it doesn't give me much useful information. I will attach some screenshots of the information from the program BlueScreenView, which can hopefully shed some light on what is happening. Any help would be super as I don't really know how to aproach this.

Read the stop code and look up what bluescreenview blames.

In this case "fltmgr.sys", look up an answer on microsoft.com (ignore the first half dozen links on google, they're all useless SEO spam.)

image.png.a68acc47f9da14aa3cd38c25b44d68d4.png

So this tells us it has something to do with a windows component. Not a driver. So this will mean it's either the CPU or the RAM.

The way to tell is by running a memory test (memtest86) or a cpu test (prime95) and see if either of these trip errors.

If memtest86 trips errors, particularly when it gets warm, that's the problem. If prime95 trips errors, you can pull that stick of memory and see if the problem goes away and then just replace that stick, or replace all the sticks.

Sometimes the RAM isn't faulty, but is blamed anyway, this will happen if the timings are incorrectly set in the BIOS, or XMP is turned on with CPU's that do not actually support it. Since XMP induces some level of overclocking, there is a chance of failure.

The way to tell if it's a hardware driver, is actually to see if the same thing keeps being blamed over and over. If it's the same thing, then that's the culprit. If it's always something random, it's nearly always RAM.

its likely a ram problem as @manikyath said it might be a ram problem just to make sure your motherboard is okay reset the cmos (if you have cpu/ram OC) it will be undo

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Thank you for the replies! I've tried a number of stress testing programs now (including 7-zip and prime95) but it has not blue screened, I ran a full memtest86 test and it found no errors, so I assume ram is not the issue.

I did uninstall a bunch of programs and update drivers since making the origional post here so its possible it has fixed the issue. If it does blue screen again ill let you guys know!