Low to Mid-Range Work Station

Budget (including currency): ~$900-1000

Games / programs: Current plans are light gaming. Maybe Skyrim at 60fps 1920x1080? Use of Photoshop and light 3d modeling. Zoom calls when school starts again. Occasional streaming Photoshop.

Other details:

PCPP List

I'm mainly looking for something with fairly good processing power as a work station for art.

The only item on the list required for the build is the GTX 1060 that I had received from a friend (it's not included in the price as of writing anyways). Could potentially be upgraded at a later date; this would be more of a starting PC for my wife. The preferred merchant is Amazon, but I am within driving distance of a Micro Center (though I did not look too hard into price matching). For the location of the setup, I'd prefer a wireless adapter. Only 1 monitor is fine. Already have a mouse and keyboard! I'm in no particular time crunch- about two or three months.

Please let me know what adjustments I can make to get better performance for that price point! Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, bicorn said:

Going to want an R5 3600 for the single core advantage

maybe some 3600mhz CL16 RAM if it's cheap.

Probably just buy a board with built in wifi/bluetooth unless you want like Wifi 6 from a PCI-e card or something.

Should get the Neptwin cooler for just a bit more
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3XXfrH/deepcool-cpu-cooler-neptwinv20

Or a windale 6, can always use the stock cooler if it gets out of budget.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fvgPxr/fsp-group-windale-6-600-cfm-cpu-cooler-ac601

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

7 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Define workstation for me.

Something that she can use for multiple purposes depending on the program she is using for art or work. For example, having a few dozen Chrome tabs open with Photoshop and embroidery software, maybe having multiple documents and Chrome tabs open when on a Zoom call with students, or streaming drawing via photoshop for students with Youtube up.

Thanks for the NVME suggestion. Admittedly, my last build was a few years ago, so I have yet to upgrade to it on my own desktop. Any time frame for when to expect more information on next gen APUs?

11 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

All of those things that you described can be handled easily with the system I specced out.

So I've added a few of the changes you and streetguru suggested:

Updated List

Added the Noctua CPU Cooler, R5 3400, NVME, AsRock Fatal1ty motherboard for the included wifi, and changed the memory to the Ripjaws DDR-4 3600s.

I love the form factor of the AsRock Deskmini, but I would like to upgrade it in the future and would like to have a little more space to do so.

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Sure. The only main problem with it is that you can't slap in a deticated GPU. That's the only reason I suggested it, and there isn't a need for an APU in a system that will have a dedicated graphics card, so spend the extra $20 for a 3600 as it has two more cores. Last thing, your PSU is way overpowered for what the system needs, a 500 watt would do just fine.

EDIT: Also the only reason why I suggested a Noctua cooler is because of the small form factor, a hyper 212 is just fine if the stock cooler is too loud for you.

Definitely appreciate it, thanks!

8 hours ago, bicorn said:

So I've added a few of the changes you and streetguru suggested:

Updated List

Added the Noctua CPU Cooler, R5 3400, NVME, AsRock Fatal1ty motherboard for the included wifi, and changed the memory to the Ripjaws DDR-4 3600s.

I love the form factor of the AsRock Deskmini, but I would like to upgrade it in the future and would like to have a little more space to do so.

you're paying a premium for the smaller size on the motherboard for an atx case. makes zero sense when you can get a pci-e wifi adapter. no point in the low-profile cooler either.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($171.89 @ Amazon) no point getting an APU when you have a 1060.
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($122.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Team MP34 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($66.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING Video Card 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.95 @ Walmart) 
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Wireless Network Adapter: fenvi FV-8802 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($27.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer SB220Q bi 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $759.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-13 00:10 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W