XFX RX 5700 XT Thicc II Fans pinned at 100% when in Game

Aidan Hartline

This problem seemed to have arose out of nowhere while I was playing Far Cry 5 for the first time. While in game and actually playing, the GPU fans rev up to 100% (About 3250 rpm) and will not budge. The moment I hit escape and pause the game they go back down to a quiet level. Hit Escape again to resume playing and it jumps back up to 3250 rpm. While the games are still functional, I cannot continue to play with a jet engine in my ear. I have tried adjusting fan curves in Radeon Adrenaline and MSI afterburner but the fans seem to ignore my fan curve no matter what. Even when i manually move the fan RPM Slider down on MSI Afterburner, it literally jumps back up to 100 percent. If I try to just set the fan curve to the lowest possible as a experiment, it still will not change the fans behavior. Does anyone have any idea why this is. I am on the latest drivers across the board. 

Did you try reinstalling your GPU driver? Have you happened to notice if the fans ramp up to 100% at a particular temp? What about when it ramps down?

You could also try reinstalling Afterburner. It could be a software conflict.