Rattling GPU fans

Wizwerd

I've had this GPU for about a month now, the fans have been rattling since I got it.  I don't really want to return it cause the card isn't broken and it seems fixable.  I also read RMA reviews from Zotac from similar cards that people have sent it back for an RMA and the problem wasn't fixed.  I'd rather try and see if I can fix this myself.  I've looked at the fans and spun them and they don't make this rattle noise when I do it only when its running in the case. Do you guys think its the bearing?  Can I just put some oil on it and see if that'll work?  Never taken apart one of these before but I figured I was going to eventually.  I plan on putting a waterblock on this bad boy when I build my custom loop.  I did get some Hydronaut paste from thermal grizzly, I did plan on putting a fresh coat of that later on this week.  This card can get really hot if I don't actively have MSI afterburner on to regulate the fan speeds.  One time I forgot to start afterburner and the card started cooking itself at 88c after an hr of RDR2.  I only caught on when I smelled something burning but that was almost two weeks ago.

I did think about returning it a couple of times but the only available 2080 TI's left are over $1400 easy if you can even find one.  If I did return it i'd probably wait for a 3080 at this point.

IDK what do you guys think, fixable? Return it? Wait to waterblock it?  I appreciate any replies & responses thanks.

It sounds like a cheap bearing. If you're so inclined you can try dismantling the fan itself but be careful not to break it. I don't think it's something that can be easily fixed though. I think adding a lubricant would promote the ingress of dust and ultimately cease up the fan down the road too. If you plan to add a waterblock in the relatively near future I would put up with it until them. You want to verify a GPU is working well before you mount a block so RMA would be a bit of a gamble. The only issue you should really have here is when you upgrade eventually you may not be able to sell the old GPU for as much.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

It sounds like a cheap bearing. If you're so inclined you can try dismantling the fan itself but be careful not to break it. I don't think it's something that can be easily fixed though. I think adding a lubricant would promote the ingress of dust and ultimately cease up the fan down the road too. If you plan to add a waterblock in the relatively near future I would put up with it until them. You want to verify a GPU is working well before you mount a block so RMA would be a bit of a gamble. The only issue you should really have here is when you upgrade eventually you may not be able to sell the old GPU for as much.

yeah, I really only plan on using this GPU for a year or two and then I might sell it for $500-$600 or w/e I can get for it.  I might only have to wait a month or two before I do my custom loop so when I go to apply new paste later this week I'll poke around but very very carefully lol.

6 minutes ago, Wizwerd said:

yeah, I really only plan on using this GPU for a year or two and then I might sell it for $500-$600 or w/e I can get for it.  I might only have to wait a month or two before I do my custom loop so when I go to apply new paste later this week I'll poke around but very very carefully lol.

Now that I think about it when you upgrade you could always sell it with the block. Should up it's value on two fronts. (1. The block, 2. Not giving the buyer an air cooler with a super rattly fan)

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Now that I think about it when you upgrade you could always sell it with the block. Should up it's value on two fronts. (1. The block, 2. Not giving the buyer an air cooler with a super rattly fan)

yeah, the GPU block will be from bykski so it should be a good block.  Trying to stay away from corsair water cooling as best as I can.

3 minutes ago, Wizwerd said:

yeah, the GPU block will be from bykski so it should be a good block.  Trying to stay away from corsair water cooling as best as I can.

Has Corsair gotten on the copper block train yet? Last I heard they only made Aluminum blocks.

I'm quite partial to XSPC blocks personally but I've been looking at Heatkiller for my next GPU upgrade.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Has Corsair gotten on the copper block train yet? Last I heard they only made Aluminum blocks.

I'm quite partial to XSPC blocks personally but I've been looking at Heatkiller for my next GPU upgrade.

Never heard of XSPC until now.  I just went to check out what they had and I have to say its aesthetically disappointing.

Its not compatible with any RGB software.  Right now i'm trying to get everything sync'd up with my iCUE profiles cause I bought their k95 plat xt keyboard and the profiles are amazing.  I went with an ASUS mobo because they had a plugin for it in iCUE but I'm trying to find out if EKWB can be configured through iCUE from Asus Aura Sync.  Also trying to find out if I buy an EKWB controller or do I use the iCUE commander/controller.

1 minute ago, Wizwerd said:

aesthetically disappointing.

To each their own. TBH I have my own reasons to be disappointed with them. Not aesthetically but for functionality reasons. Which is why I'm looking into another vendor for my next upgrade. Preferably a full metal block.

1 minute ago, Wizwerd said:

Its not compatible with any RGB software.

I'm not an RGB aficionado but I understand a lot of people enjoy that.

@Windows7ge thought i'd give an update.  I'm returning the GPU for a full refund today.  Hoping that I can get an EVGA or founder's card or just wait for the 3080 ti and see if i can't snag one.

15 minutes ago, Wizwerd said:

@Windows7ge thought i'd give an update.  I'm returning the GPU for a full refund today.  Hoping that I can get an EVGA or founder's card or just wait for the 3080 ti and see if i can't snag one.

So you're still within the return period? That's a fine option. Even gives you the opportunity to upgrade.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

So you're still within the return period? That's a fine option. Even gives you the opportunity to upgrade.

Tech yesterday was my last day but since I called amazon and complained and proved the bearings were bad they let me return it today.

Now I just have to hope I can press purchase in time when the 3080 ti's come out