HP Laptop Reliability

Just watched a review on the new HP Envy x360 Laptop AMD version and seems that it is super competitive to the mid-end laptop market

However, according to the rescuecom computer reliability report, the hp computers score almost the worst among different brands.

https://www.rescuecom.com/news-press-releases/2019-rescuecom-computer-reliability-report.aspx

What's your thoughts on HP laptops? Is that really that unreliable?

I would say that chart is very biased. If you think about it, what brands of laptops are the most common? I would go with HP and Dell, especially in a business setting. So, RescueCom will get HP and Dell computers most often, because more people use them. Therefore, they will represent a higher share of the computers. That chart doesn't speak to reliability at all, it really just speaks to which brand has the most computers out in the world. 

Personally, I find all consumer grade laptops from Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, etc to be very similar at any given price point. They all use very similar components and therefore have very similar reliability. More business grade laptops, like a ThinkPad or a Latitude, I find have better build quality and longevity generally, but cost more and look more business-y. They also aren't the really high performance models. That's just my take from my experience, though.

REMEMBER:

IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND, YOU GOTTA QUOTE ME 

OR

PUT @Fixinit1 IN YOUR RESPONSE!!!!!

Gosh, I hate it when people forget. Anyway, check out my PC below, and there's a PCPartPicker link on my profile, If you wanna see what I'm planning.

Spoiler

SYSTEM SPECS: Finally ditched the Pentium N3540, now I've got the following:

CPU - Ryzen 5 2400G

GPU - 1060 6GB Gigabyte G1 Gaming

RAM - 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Team T-Force Delta RGB

MOTHERBOARD - MSI B350 Tomahawk

PSU - EVGA 450BT

CASE - PHANTEKS  P350X

Those "scores" from rescuecom aren't representative of reliability, they're only representative of the number of calls they get. At best those scores are a well-intentioned but misleading use of statistics. They are at least adjusted based on market share, but there are any number of other factors that could be playing a role.

Are there demographic differences between customers of different brands? What effect does the quality or coverage length of first party support have on rescuecom's call volume? Are certain brands more popular with businesses with in-house support? All of these things will change the call volume to rescuecom, so their call volume statistics are only useful for extrapolating one thing, their call volume.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

11 minutes ago, SPCFHT said:

Just watched a review on the new HP Envy x360 Laptop AMD version and seems that it is super competitive to the mid-end laptop market

However, according to the rescuecom computer reliability report, the hp computers score almost the worst among different brands.

https://www.rescuecom.com/news-press-releases/2019-rescuecom-computer-reliability-report.aspx

Never judge an entire brand. Always look at individual models. Those stats are from basic pavilions and garbage Chromebooks

9 minutes ago, SPCFHT said:

Since there is no transparency in that article you linked, there is no way I can trust those numbers.

The "market share numbers", sure I can believe those. The percentages of how many laptops they received for repair? There is no enough context to judge this.

It may as well be a chart on what laptop brands people drop the most, which does not have to do with a brand's reliability.

HP is a decent brand which I have little to no issues with, but some with 'the others'. It isn't like 1/3rd of HP's customers will get issues, it's just they're a common brand thus this repair shop will get more HP laptops than Acer or something.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I've had issues with one and they represent the majority of early failures around my circles so I'm currently not considering HP for any laptop I buy or recommend...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just thought i would jump on to this thread.

Does anyone know if this laptop is user upgradable?

I would imagine the ram and storage is but can anyone clarify.

Many thanks,

DBG

As much as I like to joke that HP stands for Horrible Products, Hardly Perfect, or Has Problems, they have good products and bad products. It would be like me judging the quality of a P series ThinkPad based on the $300 IdeaPad I got back in 2017 and saying all Lenovo products are crap.

10 hours ago, Fixinit1 said:

I would say that chart is very biased. If you think about it, what brands of laptops are the most common? I would go with HP and Dell, especially in a business setting. So, RescueCom will get HP and Dell computers most often, because more people use them. Therefore, they will represent a higher share of the computers. That chart doesn't speak to reliability at all, it really just speaks to which brand has the most computers out in the world. 

Personally, I find all consumer grade laptops from Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, etc to be very similar at any given price point. They all use very similar components and therefore have very similar reliability. More business grade laptops, like a ThinkPad or a Latitude, I find have better build quality and longevity generally, but cost more and look more business-y. They also aren't the really high performance models. That's just my take from my experience, though.

Understand.
Their percentage alone is pretty biased.

For example, it is quite likely that Macbook users would directly go to Apple store for laptop repairs instead of their RescueCom center.

It would be a better approach to look for reviews of a specific product or maybe from notebookcheck.net

6 hours ago, SPCFHT said:

Understand.
Their percentage alone is pretty biased.

For example, it is quite likely that Macbook users would directly go to Apple store for laptop repairs instead of their RescueCom center.

It would be a better approach to look for reviews of a specific product or maybe from notebookcheck.net

Exactly. And considering the amount of broken MacBooks Rossmann receives, I can easily discredit that sites statistics as arbitrary numbers with no actual meaning