Heatsink spacers

Go to solution Solved by Quintenvg1,
Just now, mahyar said:

if you are forced to do it make sure you dont tighten screws to much or the gpu die it self will be broken

btw do it your own risk

Yeah i know, i've always been carefull when dealing with dies and chips in general, and the screws have springs on them and a tightlock so you can't overtighten them. Lucky me i suppose 😁

Okay, this may not be your everyday situation if you're handy.

What ended up happening is as follows.

I opened up my gtx1650 super, a ventus model from msi, and replaced the thermal paste.

Next when i remounted the cooler it wasn't sitting straight. And i noticed one of the rubber cubes keeping the heatsink in place dropped. It was gone to the void.

Is it okay to just remove the remaining 3 and screw the heatsink back in place?

Current idea, replace the rubber by pieces of cardboard, the max temp of the gpu ever recorded was 83°C and if it starts smelling weird i'ill press alt+f4

In assumption the rubber is only needed to keep the heatsink from chipping the die and protect it from vibration (moving the pc).

Edited by Quintenvg1

Pretty sure these spacers are to prevent a lot of Force on the die. 

I wouldn't recommend it imo. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Pretty sure these spacers are to prevent a lot of Force on the die. 

I wouldn't recommend it imo. 

Okay, thank you a lot, though i don't have much of another option, since i lost a rubber cube, though it makes sense that i doesn't like a lot of force, but if there aren't any other side effects, i guess i just handle it with care. Now it's just heatsink on the die i guess.

If only i had some spare parts i guess.

Just now, Quintenvg1 said:

Now it's just heatsink on the die i guess.

Don't get rid of the extra spacers why would you?  

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Quintenvg1 said:

Okay, thank you a lot, though i don't have much of another option, since i lost a rubber cube, though it makes sense that i doesn't like a lot of force, but if there aren't any other side effects, i guess i just handle it with care. Now it's just heatsink on the die i guess.

If only i had some spare parts i guess.

if you are forced to do it make sure you dont tighten screws to much or the gpu die it self will be broken

btw do it your own risk

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Don't get rid of the extra spacers why would you?  

Woops 😅 i already kinda threw them away, as i compared it to the gt1030 which didn't have any spacers and is also heatsink directly to the die

Just now, Quintenvg1 said:

which didn't have any spacers and is also heatsink directly to the die

That's a significantly less heavy heatsink. 

Build Log: 

Just now, mahyar said:

btw do it your own risk

Yeah i know, i've always been carefull when dealing with dies and chips in general, and the screws have springs on them and a tightlock so you can't overtighten them. Lucky me i suppose 😁

That's a significantly less heavy heatsink. 

That is very true, i guess i'ill start saving for a new gpu in case it goes wrong somewhere.