Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeralShakUr

Age old storage help me identify it?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I was talking to my grandfather today about how technology has evolved immensely quick and we got to the topic of data storage, whereupon he said he's got an age old storage device from his days working at IBM (he retired in 92, and worked there for ages). That could give you an idea and maybe a rough timeframe.

So he pulled out that device and I've obviously never seen anything like it. I'm asking you to help piece together what is what for example the chips on the outsides as he's got some memory problems (pun intended) and couldn't explain everything to me, but would like to know himself.

Also he said he thinks that each of the crossings in the red wired part might be 1bit but wasn't sure anymore.

In any case thank you guys ahead of time for helping us out.

IMG_20200712_143845.jpg

IMG_20200712_143607.jpg

IMG_20200712_143813.jpg

IMG_20200712_143839.jpg

IMG_20200712_143848.jpg

holy 

$h!t it is old ram!

this is from 60s/70s

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

It's Magnetic-core Memory. Certainly old school and very neat. What I would give for a IBM grandfather to learn from!

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 5 1600X | Asus B350-F Strix | Corsair H80i V2 | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz CAS-14 | XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II | Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / Samsung 970 EVO 500GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB | Corsair CX650M | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | Anidees AI-07BW Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Microsoft Modern Keyboard

FreeNAS Server (Veda): Core i3-4170 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 1x Samsung PM961 128GB SSD / 1x Kingston 16GB SSD | Corsair CX430M | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i LBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta): Core i7-2600 | Asus H77M-PRO | Stock Cooler | 8GB No-name DDR3 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | Sandisk UltraII SSD 64GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Syba USB3.1 Gen 2 Card | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix 256GB NVMe SSD | (all-around awesome machine so far)

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Kingston 120GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive

Tablet (---): Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (crosses fingers)
Tablet (ReGZ): Asus T102HA (BIOS clock doesn't tick, loses time when sleep/off) (I kill tablets with disturbing regularity)

Tablet (Unicorn): Surface Pro 2 (battery will reset total capacity to current charge, leading Windows to think it's always 100% charged until it dies)

Tablet (Loto): Dell Venue 8 Pro (screen discoloration issues, wouldn't update to Windows 10)

Tablet: iPad 2 16GB (WiFi died, basically useless after that)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M (?) | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | NZXT H230 Case

Camera: Sony A7II (w/ Meike Grip) | Sony SEL24240 (better than most reviews say) | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | Sony SEL50F18F (meh, don't buy) | PNY Elite Perfomance SDXC cards

Afaik this is not storage, it's RAM. Magnetic core memory to be exact.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Wow, i never seen anything like it. 

It belongs in the museum.

Yup , seems like master level of maual labour.

... but I'm no expert

11 minutes ago, BeralShakUr said:

So I was talking to my grandfather today about how technology has evolved immensely quick and we got to the topic of data storage, whereupon he said he's got an age old storage device from his days working at IBM (he retired in 92, and worked there for ages). That could give you an idea and maybe a rough timeframe.

So he pulled out that device and I've obviously never seen anything like it. I'm asking you to help piece together what is what for example the chips on the outsides as he's got some memory problems (pun intended) and couldn't explain everything to me, but would like to know himself.

Also he said he thinks that each of the crossings in the red wired part might be 1bit but wasn't sure anymore.

In any case thank you guys ahead of time for helping us out.

IMG_20200712_143607.jpg

Yup thats RAM,

Fun fact: I think thats the same tech as the ram used by the apollo moon mission rockets computers

Well that was quicker and easier than I hoped for, thank you guys ever so much, I've got another post coming with even older stuff, maybe you cen help there as well?^^

Just now, Bartholomew said:

Yup thats RAM,

Fun fact: I think thats the same tech as the ram used by the apollo moon mission rockets computers

another fun fact working principles of these things is very similar to modern dram!

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

2 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

Yup thats RAM,

That would be awesome, though, that monster is ~30cm x ~20cm x ~10cm in size^^

I think I found the exact model, it's probably the module from an IBM 1401 or something very similar.

http://www.righto.com/2015/03/12-minute-mandelbrot-fractals-on-50.html

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

1 minute ago, BeralShakUr said:

did you know that this monster of a things capacity isnt higher than 512 KILOBYTE

1 minute ago, BeralShakUr said:

It is really really cool

17 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

It belongs in the museum.

^this, and absolutely that! Seriously :)

The mad amount of computing power is insane.... I heard from somewhere, that one singular Gooogle search is about the amount of computing power that took first people to the moon. Not 100% sure but the fridge sized mainframes fit into pockets these days... not that the pockets have become better.

... but I'm no expert

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

The mad amount of computing power is insane.... I heard from somewhere, that one singular Gooogle search amounts about the amount of computing power that took first people to the moon. Not 100% sure but the fridge sized mainframes fit into pockets these days... not that the pockets have become better.

but moon landing was fake :P

The most underrated user and unsung hero of LTT Forum.

Casual Gamer and part time Youtuber.

Day Dreamer but lazy and lethargic when it comes to goals.

Always procrastinating. Avoiding challenges and getting out of comfort zone.

39 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

but moon landing was fake :P

Because earth is flat?  Maybe ... the truth is out there.

:D

... but I'm no expert

9 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

The mad amount of computing power is insane.... I heard from somewhere, that one singular Gooogle search amounts about the amount of computing power that took first people to the moon. Not 100% sure but the fridge sized mainframes fit into pockets these days... not that the pockets have become better.

Yup indeed. Im old (pretty much belong to a museum mself lol).

First computer i ever operated hed 3584 bytes of memory; yup, thats bytes, not kilobytes.

Now imagine both the speed and amount of memory access and transfer when rendering 4k at 60fps,  3 bytes per pixel for just output only, also in the processing of each frame pixel multiple 32b textures are accessed, and then all the registers used when doing the math for the effects and transforms. Oof... incomprehensible amounts of data even for just 1 second of play and we take this for granted and complain of we see a glitch lol 😂.