Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pixxel

High quality and reliable PSU for my upcoming first build

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm building my first system with a 3700x and a 2070s so I was thinking in the range of 650w-750w. I need a reliable PSU that will last me a few upgrades and not degrade or die. This is my first system so I want it to be the safe and reliable so none of my components get damaged. I was looking at the CoolerMaster Masterwatt, but after posting on Reddit it is not reccomended due to the Chinese capacitors and spotty reliability. Then I started looking at the EVGA line, mostly theirgold rated G+ and Supernova lines due to their 80+ gold ratings and wattages I need. I heven't heard too much about these so I'm wondering if these are a good buy. I'd also take other suggestions, I'm open for anything. 

Thanks for the help, stay safe out there ❤️

5 minutes ago, pixxel said:

I'm building my first system with a 3700x and a 2070s so I was thinking in the range of 650w-750w. I need a reliable PSU that will last me a few upgrades and not degrade or die. This is my first system so I want it to be the safe and reliable so none of my components get damaged. I was looking at the CoolerMaster Masterwatt, but after posting on Reddit it is not reccomended due to the Chinese capacitors and spotty reliability. Then I started looking at the EVGA line, mostly theirgold rated G+ and Supernova lines due to their 80+ gold ratings and wattages I need. I heven't heard too much about these so I'm wondering if these are a good buy. I'd also take other suggestions, I'm open for anything. 

Thanks for the help, stay safe out there ❤️

Hi here is a list. Get anything from the b tier or higher. 500w will be more than plenty for your system that would maybe ever reach 350w.

My recommendations would be Corsair's RM550x and be quiet's Straight Power 11 550W.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K (w/ TG Hydronaut) | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3000MHz CL15 | Intel 660p 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | WD Green 2TB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra (w/ TG Hydronaut @ 0.95V) | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout USB-C

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | Ducky Shine 7 Gunmetal (Cherry MX Brown) | Sennheiser Game One | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Laptop:  Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2018 - i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD

6 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Corsair's RM550x and be quiet's Straight Power 11 550W.

I would add the tx550m and the AMP 550 and the MWE gold as well. 

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

Not sure why every time someone says they want a 650W PSU everyone feels the need to low ball them to 550. For that CPU and GPU, yes 550W would be sufficient, but only just. You'd be running at pretty close to 80% capacity, and you should really be more in the 50-60% range. Especially given that you want to carry this PSU forward, I'd go no lower than 650W. 550W would be only if budget was the utmost concern.

7 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Especially given that you want to carry this PSU forward, I'd go no lower than 650W.

Considering you can run a 3950x and a 2080ti on a 450w this is invalid. 

5Head :wine_glass: AH YES

PSU is pretty expensive right now. Go for a lower watt, like 550 should be good for the next decade.

Go with corsair if you can get one, some say it's currently no supply.

10 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

and you should really be more in the 50-60% range.

Where in the hell did you get that from? If it can provide 80% continuously it'll be fine. Heck if it can provide 100% of its wattagr continuously. It'll be fine. 

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Not sure why every time someone says they want a 650W PSU everyone feels the need to low ball them to 550. For that CPU and GPU, yes 550W would be sufficient, but only just.

350w-400w on a 550w quality psu is not "only just" but "plenty with room to spare".

5 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

you should really be more in the 50-60% range

That was conventional wisdow 10years ago. Not anymore, efficiency curves have flattend out and arent as parabolic anymore.

Its like the "load vs noise" argument, to go to 50% load but again that was 10 years ago, todays psus fan noise is much more determined by the quality of the fan and the efficiency of the unit (the fan speed is based on temp, not load, so ambient can even impact fan speed more than load with some good units).

Also, few years ago more psus where labelled 750w while only being like 350w on 12v rail (some cheap /off brand units till rry to pull this), which is why "psu w calculators" err on the side of safety for that, and why "just to be safe" some still think/recommend they need a 850w psu for a 400w system. While with a modern quality 550w unit, 95% of all systems have plenty with room to spare.

That said, only op knows if his later upgrades will include 3950x and 2080tis in sli, so more watt might make sense then.

However, for this system, and with current psu prices, its not a neccesity.

43 minutes ago, pixxel said:

Then I started looking at the EVGA line, mostly theirgold rated G+ and Supernova lines due to their 80+ gold ratings and wattages I need. I heven't heard too much about these so I'm wondering if these are a good buy. I'd also take other suggestions, I'm open for anything. 

Where and how much you spending?

650w would be plenty for consumer configs, including a potencial 2080ti + 10900k combo. 

550w would also be sufficient, you could run that build on a good 400w, tho that does limit the option of getting high power GPUs used in the future. 

45 minutes ago, pixxel said:

I was looking at the CoolerMaster Masterwatt, but after posting on Reddit it is not reccomended due to the Chinese capacitors and spotty reliability

Chinese capacitors is not a reason not to get a PSU. 

You look at how well the unit performs, or if there are notable issues that pops up later on. 

More important is protection coverage and the regulation used on the PSU. 

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Hi here is a list. Get anything from the b tier or higher. 500w will be more than plenty for your system that would maybe ever reach 350w.

Thanks a lot, will check out this list :3

30 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Chinese capacitors is not a reason not to get a PSU. 

You look at how well the unit performs, or if there are notable issues that pops up later on. 

More important is protection coverage and the regulation used on the PSU. 

I'll see what both the Mastwewatt and the EVGA models have in terms of that

34 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Where and how much you spending?

650w would be plenty for consumer configs, including a potencial 2080ti + 10900k combo. 

550w would also be sufficient, you could run that build on a good 400w, tho that does limit the option of getting high power GPUs used in the future. 

I might be able to go to micro center, but they tend to only carry power spec and low end EVGA units. I'm willing to spend up to $130 on a psu due to the inflation in prices.

46 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

https://www.newegg.com/antec-high-current-gamer-gold-series-hcg650-gold-650w/p/N82E16817371108

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG650 Gold, 650W Fully Modular, Full-Bridge LLC and DC to DC Converter Design, Full Japanese Caps, Zero RPM Manager, Compacted Size 140mm, 10 Year Warranty

$99.99

Due to the inflation in psu prices since the panemic starred, this is a goos unit for the price. Thanks ;3

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

My recommendations would be Corsair's RM550x and be quiet's Straight Power 11 550W.

I've been looking at those too, I've never heard of any issues with either of them :3

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

Not sure why every time someone says they want a 650W PSU everyone feels the need to low ball them to 550. For that CPU and GPU, yes 550W would be sufficient, but only just. You'd be running at pretty close to 80% capacity, and you should really be more in the 50-60% range. Especially given that you want to carry this PSU forward, I'd go no lower than 650W. 550W would be only if budget was the utmost concern.

Budget on my PSU is not a super limting factor. I can afford a 750w gold unit. I was just posted to get unit recommendations :3

Idk why so many ppl reccomend 550w. Thats just enough for my parts. Like you said, keeping at 50-60 peaks efficiency and allows me to keep this psu for future upgrades and maybe even a new system down the line :3

2 minutes ago, pixxel said:

I'll see what both the Mastwewatt and the EVGA models have in terms of that

Also worth noting that the manufacturer saying it has something means it works or that the protection covers all rails. 

Like Group regulated units regularly claim to have UVP protections, but only on the minor rails, not the major one. 

2 minutes ago, pixxel said:

I'm willing to spend up to $130 on a psu due to the inflation in prices.

130$ in the US i assume?

If so, this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3Vc48d/be-quiet-straight-power-11-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bn281

Or wait untill something like the bitfenix Whisper M returns to stock or a Phantex AMP. Which usually are good options aswell. 

3 minutes ago, pixxel said:

might be able to go to micro center

Microcenter usually carry a lot of their own branded PSUs, few of which i can recall being decent. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Also worth noting that the manufacturer saying it has something means it works or that the protection covers all rails. 

Like Group regulated units regularly claim to have UVP protections, but only on the minor rails, not the major one. 

130$ in the US i assume?

If so, this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3Vc48d/be-quiet-straight-power-11-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bn281

Or wait untill something like the bitfenix Whisper M returns to stock or a Phantex AMP. Which usually are good options aswell. 

Microcenter usually carry a lot of their own branded PSUs, few of which i can recall being decent. 

USD is correct. I got another recommendation for the straight power, obviously its a good unit. I'll look into that further. I can also wait a little while for the PSU's you reccomended to come back in stock. I sold my laptop on eBay and haven't gotten payed yet, so I have time to spare.

5 minutes ago, pixxel said:

Budget on my PSU is not a super limting factor. I can afford a 750w gold unit. I was just posted to get unit recommendations :3

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dJmFf7/thermaltake-toughpower-gf1-pe-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ps-tpd-0750fnfagu-1

This thing (its good, only lacking multirail OCP, which is a bonus at these wattage)

Or

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BJFPxr/corsair-power-supply-cp9020072

This i guess, not a whole lot of great options around at this point. 

7 minutes ago, pixxel said:

Idk why so many ppl reccomend 550w. Thats just enough for my parts. Like you said, keeping at 50-60 peaks efficiency and allows me to keep this psu for future upgrades and maybe even a new system down the line :3

550w would also allow you to keep kt for future upgrades, only limitations is perticular high power GPU+CPU. I. Which case 650w would cover that aswell. 

Also peak efficiency isnt, and really never has been at 50-60%........ Besides, noise performance is more important. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dJmFf7/thermaltake-toughpower-gf1-pe-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ps-tpd-0750fnfagu-1

This thing (its good, only lacking multirail OCP, which is a bonus at these wattage)

Or

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BJFPxr/corsair-power-supply-cp9020072

This i guess, not a whole lot of great options around at this point. 

550w would also allow you to keep kt for future upgrades, only limitations is perticular high power GPU+CPU. I. Which case 650w would cover that aswell. 

Also peak efficiency isnt, and really never has been at 50-60%........ Besides, noise performance is more important. 

I've gotten many Corsair recommendations so I think i will go that route. I might upgrade to the newer parts (Big Navi, Ampere, and Zen 4) if they seem compelling enough, so 650w is probably the wattage I should go for.

11 minutes ago, pixxel said:

I've gotten many Corsair recommendations so I think i will go that route

as good as the HXi is, you dont really need to get that expencive of a powersupply. 

a Bitfenix Whsiper M 650w once it returns to stock would be a great options. 

12 minutes ago, pixxel said:

so 650w is probably the wattage I should go for.

that will keep you covered for high powered consumer configs, otherwise 550w would suffice. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

as good as the HXi is, you dont really need to get that expencive of a powersupply. 

a Bitfenix Whsiper M 650w once it returns to stock would be a great options. 

that will keep you covered for high powered consumer configs, otherwise 550w would suffice. 

alright, thanks