Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lafrente

Radeon settings have been reset due to unexpected system failure

Posted · Original PosterOP

My PC keeps restarting and I get this notice in radeon software. Restarted about 200 times last month. No OC. No driver issue, because it started happening when I hadn't touched any driver 3 months prior to the issues starting.

I couldn't identify the problem because there are no error reports and restarts have no pattern.

Does this software reset to default in any kind of system failure, or does that specifically mean that there was an issue with the GPU? 

AMD drivers are notoriously shit 

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600k@5.0GHz | GPU 1: GTX 1660@2070MHz | GPU 2: GT 710 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480GB & Kingston UV400 120GB |  HDD: 2x 2TB WD Black | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro & Linux Mint 

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 10 Pro

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120GB | OS: Debian Buster

Laptop [A hunk of shit]:

Model: MacBook Air Late 2010 | CPU: Core 2 Duo L9600 | RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1066MHz | OS: MacOS Catalina 

Either your Radeon drivers are taking the poopoo, or you've got an unstable overclock that's automatically being applied at the start-up of Windows by software.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | 32GB 3000MHz CL15 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: Apple Macbook Pro 13" 2018 (i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD)

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Sennheiser Game One | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

4 hours ago, lafrente said:

My PC keeps restarting and I get this notice in radeon software. Restarted about 200 times last month. No OC. No driver issue, because it started happening when I hadn't touched any driver 3 months prior to the issues starting.

I couldn't identify the problem because there are no error reports and restarts have no pattern.

Does this software reset to default in any kind of system failure, or does that specifically mean that there was an issue with the GPU? 

I switched from AMD because that same shit kept happening to me. I had a Radeon vii, driver issues with restarts and driver failures. Never had any issue anymore since I got my 2080 ti. What GPU are you using?

On 7/12/2020 at 7:47 PM, ChrisZH said:

I switched from AMD because that same shit kept happening to me. I had a Radeon vii, driver issues with restarts and driver failures. Never had any issue anymore since I got my 2080 ti. What GPU are you using?

RX 590. I am suspecting either PSU or GPU at this point. But with totally random restarts I can't figure which one it is.

Similar issue here, the fix was a custom fan curve, for whatever reason my 5700XT was boosting all the way to 2140MHz and the Junction Temp was climbing to 105+c. I suspect this was causing the driver reset.

On my powercolor red dragon, the default fan curve seems way too conservative, Not sure what other models of 5700TX's are like for this.

---Intel I7 4790k@4.6GHz@1.24v---Gigabyte Z97gaming 5----H100i----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----3tb Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz----Sapphire Fury TriX----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

7 minutes ago, grayperview said:

Similar issue here, the fix was a custom fan curve, for whatever reason my 5700XT was boosting all the way to 2140MHz and the Junction Temp was climbing to 105+c. I suspect this was causing the driver reset.

On my powercolor red dragon, the default fan curve seems way too conservative, Not sure what other models of 5700TX's are like for this.

Unfortunately mine isn't the temps. I got a sapphire nitro and it barely hits 70c when gaming. Also, it restarts randomly. Browsing, gaming, media, anything.

1 minute ago, lafrente said:

Unfortunately mine isn't the temps. I got a sapphire nitro and it barely hits 70c when gaming. Also, it restarts randomly. Browsing, gaming, media, anything.

What does the Junction hit? My GPU Temp was around 75 too.

---Intel I7 4790k@4.6GHz@1.24v---Gigabyte Z97gaming 5----H100i----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----3tb Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz----Sapphire Fury TriX----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

14 hours ago, grayperview said:

What does the Junction hit? My GPU Temp was around 75 too.

I don't see a junction, but all the temps that I can get from gpu rarely goes above 70c. All the time pc is on I log with hwinfo and it alerts me when its over 72c. (Sometimes radeon software forgets the fan curve and just sits silent when gpu is burning at 95c, that's why I set it)

But I had a rare bluescreen (~300 restarts, twice BSOD) that had to do with amdppm.sys - two times actually. One with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and another with KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 

I finally gave up on AMD, my Vega 64 often crashed, black screened and lost it's settings.  Switched to a 2080 Super and been plain sailing ever since!  It's a real shame, because I've been using AMD for GPU's for decades, but their performance and bugs just make it a bad experience.  With the 2080 in my rig, the system is cooler, quieter for low stress games like Age of Empires 3/command & conquer, video encoding is faster and the drivers/software are better.

CPU i7 8700K (4.8 GHz) RAM 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (3000 MHz) GPU Asus RTX 2080 Super ROG Strix OC Motherboard Asus Maximus X Hero Cooling Corsair Hydro H115i Pro RGB PSU 850W Corsair RM850i Storage Samsung Evo 970 500Gb, Samsung Evo 970 1Tb, San Disk 3D Ultra 1Tb, San Disk 3D Ultra 500Gb x 2, WD Green 4Tb Opitcal Drive Pioneer BDR-211EBK Capture Card Avermedia Live Gamer 4K PCIe Display Acer XF270HUA 27" IPS, Acer Nitro VG271UP 27" IPS Case Corsair Graphite 780T White Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 Mouse Corsair M65 Pro RGB Operating System Windows 10 Pro RGB Corsair Commander Pro, Lighting Node Pro, 5 x 140mm ML Pro RGB, 5 x 120mm ML Pro RGB, 12 Lighting strips (4 inside case, 8 around desk)

On 7/12/2020 at 1:16 PM, lafrente said:

I used to get that when using a 4K/60 monitor... it could be that Freesync is trying to send too high a refresh rate to your monitor.

... aside from the fact that Vega 56 is too under powered to run 4K and be happy.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 hour ago, Eighjan said:

I used to get that when using a 4K/60 monitor... it could be that Freesync is trying to send too high a refresh rate to your monitor.

... aside from the fact that Vega 56 is too under powered to run 4K and be happy.

My monitor is 1080p but has freesync. I'll try disabling it both from the monitor and the software.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, grayperview said:

the Junction Temp was climbing to 105+c.

Isnt that within spec? Theyre supposed to take up to 110c. Mine gets up to 106 and is fine

yeah it is within spec, but is around 20c higher than my model of card is supposed to top out at.