Radeon settings have been reset due to unexpected system failure

lafrente

My PC keeps restarting and I get this notice in radeon software. Restarted about 200 times last month. No OC. No driver issue, because it started happening when I hadn't touched any driver 3 months prior to the issues starting.

I couldn't identify the problem because there are no error reports and restarts have no pattern.

Does this software reset to default in any kind of system failure, or does that specifically mean that there was an issue with the GPU? 

AMD drivers are notoriously shit 

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

Either your Radeon drivers are taking the poopoo, or you've got an unstable overclock that's automatically being applied at the start-up of Windows by software.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 hours ago, lafrente said:

My PC keeps restarting and I get this notice in radeon software. Restarted about 200 times last month. No OC. No driver issue, because it started happening when I hadn't touched any driver 3 months prior to the issues starting.

I couldn't identify the problem because there are no error reports and restarts have no pattern.

Does this software reset to default in any kind of system failure, or does that specifically mean that there was an issue with the GPU? 

I switched from AMD because that same shit kept happening to me. I had a Radeon vii, driver issues with restarts and driver failures. Never had any issue anymore since I got my 2080 ti. What GPU are you using?

On 7/12/2020 at 7:47 PM, ChrisZH said:

I switched from AMD because that same shit kept happening to me. I had a Radeon vii, driver issues with restarts and driver failures. Never had any issue anymore since I got my 2080 ti. What GPU are you using?

RX 590. I am suspecting either PSU or GPU at this point. But with totally random restarts I can't figure which one it is.

Similar issue here, the fix was a custom fan curve, for whatever reason my 5700XT was boosting all the way to 2140MHz and the Junction Temp was climbing to 105+c. I suspect this was causing the driver reset.

On my powercolor red dragon, the default fan curve seems way too conservative, Not sure what other models of 5700TX's are like for this.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

7 minutes ago, grayperview said:

Similar issue here, the fix was a custom fan curve, for whatever reason my 5700XT was boosting all the way to 2140MHz and the Junction Temp was climbing to 105+c. I suspect this was causing the driver reset.

On my powercolor red dragon, the default fan curve seems way too conservative, Not sure what other models of 5700TX's are like for this.

Unfortunately mine isn't the temps. I got a sapphire nitro and it barely hits 70c when gaming. Also, it restarts randomly. Browsing, gaming, media, anything.

1 minute ago, lafrente said:

Unfortunately mine isn't the temps. I got a sapphire nitro and it barely hits 70c when gaming. Also, it restarts randomly. Browsing, gaming, media, anything.

What does the Junction hit? My GPU Temp was around 75 too.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

14 hours ago, grayperview said:

What does the Junction hit? My GPU Temp was around 75 too.

I don't see a junction, but all the temps that I can get from gpu rarely goes above 70c. All the time pc is on I log with hwinfo and it alerts me when its over 72c. (Sometimes radeon software forgets the fan curve and just sits silent when gpu is burning at 95c, that's why I set it)

But I had a rare bluescreen (~300 restarts, twice BSOD) that had to do with amdppm.sys - two times actually. One with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and another with KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 

I finally gave up on AMD, my Vega 64 often crashed, black screened and lost it's settings.  Switched to a 2080 Super and been plain sailing ever since!  It's a real shame, because I've been using AMD for GPU's for decades, but their performance and bugs just make it a bad experience.  With the 2080 in my rig, the system is cooler, quieter for low stress games like Age of Empires 3/command & conquer, video encoding is faster and the drivers/software are better.

CPU AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X RAM 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB (3600 MHz) GPU Asus RTX 3080 ROG Strix OC Motherboard ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Cooling Corsair iCue H150i Elite LCD PSU 850W Corsair RM850i Storage Samsung Evo 970 Plus 500Gb, Samsung Evo 970 1Tb, San Disk 3D Ultra 2Tb, San Disk 3D Ultra 500Gb x 2 Capture Card Elgato 4K60 Pro Display 2 x  Acer Nitro VG271UP 27" IPS Case Corsair 5000D Airflow Keyboard Corsair K100 Air Mouse Dark Core Pro SE Operating System Windows 11 Pro RGB Corsair Commander Pro, Lighting Node Pro, 13 x 120mm ML Pro RGB, LT100, 2 x LS100

On 7/12/2020 at 1:16 PM, lafrente said:

I used to get that when using a 4K/60 monitor... it could be that Freesync is trying to send too high a refresh rate to your monitor.

... aside from the fact that Vega 56 is too under powered to run 4K and be happy.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 hour ago, Eighjan said:

I used to get that when using a 4K/60 monitor... it could be that Freesync is trying to send too high a refresh rate to your monitor.

... aside from the fact that Vega 56 is too under powered to run 4K and be happy.

My monitor is 1080p but has freesync. I'll try disabling it both from the monitor and the software.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:08 PM, grayperview said:

the Junction Temp was climbing to 105+c.

Isnt that within spec? Theyre supposed to take up to 110c. Mine gets up to 106 and is fine

yeah it is within spec, but is around 20c higher than my model of card is supposed to top out at.