VPN Machine

SgtOutcast

Hello guys!

I have a pretty good server, wich I don't use that much. I'm looking to convert it to some kind of VPN Station, Internet connection comes in from my ISP, straight thru the VPN Station, then loops back to a Router.

What do you think? Will this be doable? 

Any ideas?

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to route all your internet traffic through VPN? its possible and you really dont much for it. RPI4 is more than capable of getting 50mbps through openvpn (depending on your configuration).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Do you want to use a VPN for all your Internet traffic or do you want to use a VPN to connect to devices behind your router regardless of where you are in the world?

• 3 months later...

Hi, i want my router to be connected at a hardware level. with means that all devices will be connected to the vpn.

This will not be much of a VPN in the conventional sense because it will not change your apparent IP to servers you connect to, nor will it encrypt any traffic that will be going outside your local network.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:38 AM, BackisJR said:

Hi, i want my router to be connected at a hardware level. with means that all devices will be connected to the vpn.

What make/model of router do you have?

Some routers, especially ones for which 3rd-party firmware is available, can be configured as VPN clients so that all traffic passes through the VPN without need for the client app. By VPN, I’m assuming you’re talking about a VPN service like PrivateInternetAccess or similar. If you look at their configuration pages, you’ll see setup instructions for routers.

Keep in mind, however, that the encryption/decryption of VPN traffic consumes a lot of CPU resources depending on which VPN protocol you go with. So overall router performance might decrease and maximum speed might decrease as well.

Advanced firewall appliances that run on pfSense or Untangle, for example, usually have better-optimized CPUs. These can even be improved upon if you build one yourself.

• 1 year later...
On 11/8/2020 at 4:51 AM, Falcon1986 said:

What make/model of router do you have?

Some routers, especially ones for which 3rd-party firmware is available, can be configured as VPN clients so that all traffic passes through the VPN without need for the client app. By VPN, I’m assuming you’re talking about a VPN service like PrivateInternetAccess or similar. If you look at their configuration pages, you’ll see setup instructions for routers.

Keep in mind, however, that the encryption/decryption of VPN traffic consumes a lot of CPU resources depending on which VPN protocol you go with. So overall router performance might decrease and maximum speed might decrease as well.

Advanced firewall appliances that run on pfSense or Untangle, for example, usually have better-optimized CPUs. These can even be improved upon if you build one yourself.

I do have a Ubiquiti EdgeMax. I can connect it to a vpn, but its way to weak for some real speeds