random question

MKSanic

im creating  a model of the pc im going to build so i would like to know how thick the panels of a case are. thx for help. sorry if i wasted ur time

What case?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

The server chassis I've been working with the side panels are 1mm thick but with things like cheap desktop chassis I wouldn't be surprised if they're 0.5mm.

41 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

probably like 3 mils or something

21 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

The server chassis I've been working with the side panels are 1mm thick but with things like cheap desktop chassis I wouldn't be surprised if they're 0.5mm.

Okay.. enough of the guesses.

MOST of the brand name cases out on the market from Corsair, NZXT, beQuiet, Thermaltake, etc. are made of 0.8mm thick SECC steel.

They actually make a marketing bullet point of this in most cases because really cheap cases are made of 0.5mm and if you were to sit on them they would crumple like a beer can.

I think in gauge.  For steel (which is going to be different than glass or aluminum) stamped steel is usually between 18 and 22 gauge.  I haven’t seen 18gauge in a long time though.  Some old cases had it.  Might see some 24 or 26 but things start to get kinda flimsy after that.  The thinnest steel I’ve ever heard of being stamped was 32 gauge.  The wider and flatter the area the thicker the steel needs to be not to bend.  Putting crenellations in it makes thinner steel stronger.  Aluminum is softer and needs to be a lot thicker.  Glass will be a lot thicker yet.  Aluminum is more of a pita to stamp for several reasons so aluminum stuff generally has fewer crenellations.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I think in gauge.  For steel (which is going to be different than glass or aluminum) stamped steel is usually between 18 and 22 gauge. 

Yes.  Let's talk about gauge when all cases are measured in mm in thickness,

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yes.  Let's talk about gauge when all cases are measured in mm in thickness,

That would make sense.  They are all made in China now.  There are conversion charts.  China is kinda famous for using both measurement systems and not always being clear about which one they’re using.

18 gauge is 1.024 mm, 20 gauge is .812, 22 is .644, 24 is .511

24 gauge won’t crumple like a beer can exactly.  Might dent a bit, it’s kind of wubbly though.  Perhaps an old style steel beer can of the type that no longer exist.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That would make sense.  They are all made in China now.  There are conversion charts.  China is kinda famous for using both measurement systems and not always being clear about which one they’re using.

I know. I recently found that they were shipping fan mounting screws with diameter and length measured in mm, but thread pitch measured in TPI.

But since they all use Japanese standardized (JIS G 3313) SECC cold rolled steel for cases, they tend to use millimeters for thickness as that's what's outlined by the standard.