PLEASE HELP WANT TO UPGRADE CPU IN 180WATT SYSTEM

Yologuymandude

I have a prebuilt pc that ive had for around 6 months when i got it it came with the following specs
Ryzen 3 3200g
M.2 ssd 260 or some gb
180 watt psu
I have since put in the following
Gt 1030 for around 4 months then recently upgraded to gt 1650
Put in a 1 terabite harddrive 7200 rpm 

I know im really pushing it with a 75tdp graphics card in a 180watt psu system but from my experience my system is running amazing other than some high temps
Ive done some searching and ive found that the cpu i use is a 65tdp and the one i want to upgrade to is also 65tdp it is a ryzen 5 1600. I want to upgrade it so i can have less stutter in games while i have things like discord and google in the backround. I also think an upgrade is nice as when playing games like apex legends my cpu usage is always at 90-100% i think this is why my game stutters and dips below 60 fps often other games like doom eternal run super smooth at around 70fps

Again to recap i want to upgrade cpu but i am worried if it will be too much for my psu to handle it is a proprietary motherboard so i cant simply upgrade it or at least i dont know with what. Again the cpu i have is 65tdp and the one i want is also 65tdp but it makes no sense that it doesnt use more as it is a more powerfull cpu 

The model of the pc is hp desktop-m01-f0014

Someone PLEASE HELP

Thank you!

Is there any way you can explain how a better cpu can use the same watts as a lesser cpu?

6 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

You really need a new PSU before you do any upgrades. I believe your GT1030 is the main bottleneck here in games, so I would upgrade that first. Were you going for the 1600 or 1600AF? I don't think the 1600 is much of an upgrade except for 2 more cores.

Well i have upgraded to a gtx 1650 already and i just want to squeeze in the best cpu possible as thats the one causing the issues im having also i cannot find a better psu that im possitive will work i dont want to buy one thats unreliable or that wont pair with the motherboard as it is a proprietary motherboard which means i cant use any psu.

Just now, Yologuymandude said:

Well i have upgraded to a gtx 1650 already and i just want to squeeze in the best cpu possible as thats the one causing the issues im having also i cannot find a better psu that im possitive will work i dont want to buy one thats unreliable or that wont pair with the motherboard as it is a proprietary motherboard which means i cant use any psu.

also my knowledge in cpu's is very limited i do not know what effects cores have in games and multitasking

It is a hp motherboard i think its called erica 2 or something stupid instead of a 24pin it uses a p4 connection or something like that

2 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

What motherboard is it?

It is a hp motherboard i think its called erica 2 or something stupid instead of a 24pin it uses a p4 connection or something like that

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

You only now told us? Then you have pushed it as far as you can, don't do more. If you want a better system buy a dell optiplex that uses a standard PSU and slap in a brand new one along with an RX 580

I mentioned upgrading to a gtx 1650 in the original post and as far as upgrading the system im only interested in upgtading cpu and maybe a better psu as instead of using 24pins the motherboard has a 6pin thingy so i cant just buy any psu

I mean you could buy an adapter if you bought a new case and an ATX PSU, I just read as far as GT 1030, sorry. They do make adapters.

So i could buy like a 400watt evga psu and an adapter and it will work? Can the motherboard take that or is the motherboard not a factor? Im still very new to pc and this is a very unique problem im having.   Also another question can i just put in a different motherboard into it? Will the case support it?

Just now, NZgamer said:

I swear he edited the post, I don't remember reading 1650 at first

I read about your system online, and according to the model number you supplied us with, HP says you're running a 3200U, not 3200G, which I suspect is why you're having stutter issues, as that's only a dual core. If I were you, I'd restore the system to how you bought it, return it, and get something with a better upgrade path

Yeah ive read that but the system does have a 3200g

and returning it is not an option at this point honestly

2 minutes ago, Yologuymandude said:

15945306011543475333576847644976.jpg

8 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

I swear he edited the post, I don't remember reading 1650 at first

I read about your system online, and according to the model number you supplied us with, HP says you're running a 3200U, not 3200G, which I suspect is why you're having stutter issues, as that's only a dual core. If I were you, I'd restore the system to how you bought it, return it, and get something with a better upgrade path

Also no i did not edit the post there is no reason for me to lie as i am seeking for help apologies if i hadnt made it clear this is my first time asking for help in forums

1 minute ago, NZgamer said:

Weird. You can upgrade to another 65 watt chip though, but that 180 watt PSU is quite low.

Ok i just wanted to make sure that a cpu upgrade would be fine the one im wanting to upgrade to also has a tdp of 65 watts it just confused me that they were the same tdp

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

1. Delete facebook.

2. Depending on the form factor of the motherboard yes it is possible to stick it in another case with minimal problems. If that fails a cardboard box also works. Do you have the exact model of the system so @NZgamer and I can check for you?

i dont know what you mean by facebook but i was asking if i could put in a different motherboard into the pc i already have

Just now, NZgamer said:

Yeah, it's gonna be fine. TDP \not only the power draw, but the amount of heat it's allowed to put out, and AMD just makes efficient chips, so don't worry about that

Sick thank you so much for the help it had been stressing me out researching the web for answers ill let you know how the upgrade worked in a month or two

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

I just saw on your desktop you had a facebook icon. And the motherboard is not the point of concern here, the point is the wattage of the PSU. Can you please give me an exact model number of what the computer is so i can look it up to see if case swapping it and replacing the PSU is even feasible? Thanks.

The model number is at the bottom of og post and i dont use facebook lol thats for my dad 

Oh thanks, didn't see that. It's such a new system that I don't see any actual images of the motherboard, but the HP site says it's microATX so it should work in any microATX case with the adapter for the PSU which is like $5 on ebay.

Great thank you so much! Ill go ahead and buy a better psu and an adapter so i can future proof any upgrades. Also i know this is kinda stupid but is ebay safe to buy from? Ive only used amazon before and ebay sounds like an online yardsale. Do companies sell things or is it just people?

4 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

People and companies, but they do have really good buyer protection so if you buy something and don't get it or if it's a brick or something you get your money back every time. (This also means fees are higher for sellers)

Before you buy anything take off your side panel and dump the picture here so that I can see if it will actually be compatible. There are a lot of other nuances about case swapping HP motherboards or whatever but it could also be the case that what you can do is just install your new PSU into the existing HP case with the adapter, and have all the cables and wattage you would need. But I do need to see the inside of the case for that so please do take a few pictures of the inside and lin

15945324524448493579358783967594.jpg

1594532481485694794526025179734.jpg

15945325008666371384413700568595.jpg

15945325403441955261965270326412.jpg

15945326011033856306708309656790.jpg

15945324524448493579358783967594.jpg

1594532481485694794526025179734.jpg

15945325008666371384413700568595.jpg

15945325403441955261965270326412.jpg

15945326011033856306708309656790.jpg

I tried taking pics of the motherboard as best i could but the harddrive and dvd thing that i never use were in the way also i took a pic of the main power connecter (pic 3)

6 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Thanks for those pics. I think your "main power connector" actually goes to the power button or front ports instead of the PSU, but thanks for the close up. The main motherboard power connector is located under the hard drive cage, is there any way for you to either stick your phone with the flashlight on under there and see the other location where the PSU connects? This is important so you buy the right adapter. The PSU mount itself looks standard, so that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: I just looked at the pictures again and that little wire you took a close up of does appear to go to the PSU. Crap. If you are willing to get a little bit jankey you can still do this without case swapping, but just because the PSU is created in such a way that it's so specifically designed, the way you would need to do this is buy another PSU and either get a little end cap or use a paperclip to short the green wire and one of the black wires (the green wire is the power on signal and the black wire is ground), so that the PSU is always on. You would plug the PCIe power connectors from that extra PSU directly into the external power connectors for your graphics card, and to turn on the PC you would first plug in the external PSU and then turn on the main system like normal.

You lost me at the paperclip part and the gpu does not have any power connectors in it. It is getting power directly from the pcie slot. Sorry for not understanding again im very new to this

15945331328212436429179632171808.jpg

15945332133662309974212592478082.jpg

15945332556765701696843489668521.jpg

15945332892457883674705301463036.jpg

1 minute ago, Yologuymandude said:

You lost me at the paperclip part and the gpu does not have any power connectors in it. It is getting power directly from the pcie slot. Sorry for not understanding again im very new to this

15945331328212436429179632171808.jpg

15945332133662309974212592478082.jpg

15945332556765701696843489668521.jpg

15945332892457883674705301463036.jpg

i think i understand what you are saying right now and it sounds very complicated my desk size is very limited and i am wondering if simply putting in a new psu with an adapter would work in a system like this

57 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

So I'll try and explain it more clearly. If you were to upgrade your graphics card it would come with external PCIe power connectors. Your motherboard + PSU is designed in such a way that you can't just use any old power supply. Basically you would just buy another PSU when you wanted to upgrade your GPU, stick the graphics card in there normally and plug in the external power using your new power supply. There is a trick to make it always on without everything being plugged in, which means that you can power just the graphics card with the second power supply.

Does that make sense?

Yes it makes sense thank you! However i dont plan on upgrading my gpu anytime soon im only interested in the cpu upgrade

10 minutes ago, Yologuymandude said:

Yes it makes sense thank you! However i dont plan on upgrading my gpu anytime soon im only interested in the cpu upgrade

So i cant buy a psu and an adapter?

8 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Right so basically you already have a quad core in there, so if you want to go for something like the 1600AF that would work fine. I would really suggest waiting the two months though to see if anything AMD releases will be satisfactory for you. Upgrade that + a new GPU from Big Navi or 3000 series and you are good to go.

great thanks!

• 5 months later...
On 7/11/2020 at 11:49 PM, BlueScope819 said:

Thanks for those pics. I think your "main power connector" actually goes to the power button or front ports instead of the PSU, but thanks for the close up. The main motherboard power connector is located under the hard drive cage, is there any way for you to either stick your phone with the flashlight on under there and see the other location where the PSU connects? This is important so you buy the right adapter. The PSU mount itself looks standard, so that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: I just looked at the pictures again and that little wire you took a close up of does appear to go to the PSU. Crap. If you are willing to get a little bit jankey you can still do this without case swapping, but just because the PSU is created in such a way that it's so specifically designed, the way you would need to do this is buy another PSU and either get a little end cap or use a paperclip to short the green wire and one of the black wires (the green wire is the power on signal and the black wire is ground), so that the PSU is always on. You would plug the PCIe power connectors from that extra PSU directly into the external power connectors for your graphics card, and to turn on the PC you would first plug in the external PSU and then turn on the main system like normal.

Hey, I'm new here and hopefully you can help me with this. I am in a similar predicament. I have the exact same model as the OP, but I am looking to upgrade the GPU, not the CPU. I can physically fit an ATX power supply in there (with some modding) so that I have PCI-e Power, does that 7-pin connector really only control the PSU's on/off switch? Im thinking about pulling the mod you suggested. Please explain in greater detail what I might need to do in order to make that work. Thanks in advance!