Allocating CPU cores/threads

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

You can lock processes to cores in task manager, but for most programs, this won't make a difference.

What os? what programs?

What program do I use to force certain cores/threads to be used exclusively by a program if its running? Does the program know to lock these cores down only if the program is running?

Does it matter which core I allocate (ie I have 24 cores, and plan on locking #24-48 to one particular program only, leaving #0-23 open for the system to decide)

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can lock processes to cores in task manager, but for most programs, this won't make a difference.

What os? what programs?

Windows 10. StreamLabs OBS. Random video game. Chrome.

So my PC should be smart enough to use as many resources/cores as it can so I can maintain both good frames in my game and stream at good quality on Twitch?

1 minute ago, JugsOfHolyness said:

Windows 10. StreamLabs OBS. Random video game. Chrome.

So my PC should be smart enough to use as many resources/cores as it can so I can maintain both good frames in my game and stream at good quality on Twitch?

it should do that just fine for most uses.

What performance do you get now? What sepcs?

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

it should do that just fine for most uses.

What performance do you get now? What sepcs?

Right now on my current 2950x (my 3960x along with the new case etc is sitting in the living room waiting for the new 3xxx Titan/Ti) is doing just fine. Even though I'm gaming at 4k I downsample to 1080p for the stream I think my CPU barely hits 50% average.

I do notice though that sometimes I get "dropped frames" messages on StreamLabs OBS when I try to make it encode slower, so that the quality is better. My actual game performance is unaffected, but the "dropped frames" will affect the stream though.

EDIT: the dropped frames doesn't apply to all games. Certain games I can encode on the slow setting and be fine, others I have to do Medium or else I will get the error msg.

1 minute ago, JugsOfHolyness said:

Right now on my current 2950x (my 3960x along with the new case etc is sitting in the living room waiting for the new 3xxx Titan/Ti) is doing just fine. Even though I'm gaming at 4k I downsample to 1080p for the stream I think my CPU barely hits 50% average.

I do notice though that sometimes I get "dropped frames" messages on StreamLabs OBS when I try to make it encode slower, so that the quality is better. My actual game performance is unaffected, but the "dropped frames" will affect the stream though.

slower isn't really possible in realtime, set it normal( I think thats the name). I have tried with some pretty fast hardware, and it just take too much.

You can try it once to see if it helps, but the quality is pretty small between medium and normal even if you can get it to work