Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rxd

If I am CPU bound in games will changing settings in Nvidia CP do anything?

Posted · Original PosterOP

In games where I am CPU bottlenecked is there any point of adjusting anything in Nvidia control panel? That's pretty much it.

no

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

for cpu bottleneck, about the only things u can do is to overclock the cpu/ram, play on a higher resolution, or change the cpu.

9900k 1.32v max 1.26v avx 5.1ghz-1avx 4.8 cache 95C 175w 1.05v 4.4ghz 95w 55C R20/blender temps ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 2x8gb 16-16-16-34-280-24 ddr3866  bdie 1.42v dram 1.22v io/sa (anything higher needs more voltage on all (dram/io/sa) ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (bad ocer) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98)

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3000 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w 

18 minutes ago, Rxd said:

In games where I am CPU bottlenecked is there any point of adjusting anything in Nvidia control panel? That's pretty much it.

No, it's not about the GPU's processing pipeline but rather the amount of frames it's asking from the CPU to deliver, you could lessen the bottleneck by adjusting the game's graphical settings, some of the options may reduce the CPU usage especially if it's related to physics

The GPU and CPU process things largely independently but at the same time they rely on each other to combine and deliver the frames in time, if one of them is slower than the other then it will bottleneck the other component

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

I guess you could say that playing on a higher resolution will decrease the bottleneck, but it's important to note that the reason the GPU usage goes up is because the GPU just has more to do in the frames that the CPU can achieve, you might get the same FPS or less but never higher than before

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

50 minutes ago, Rxd said:

no point in overclocking your gpu, its already maxed at what the cpu allows it to max.

for example, if you have a 2080 ti and an i5 6600k, the 2080 ti wont work nearly as hard as the i5 would work.

the i5 would limit the 2080 ti even on stock speed so overclocking is just more heat and noise without any performance upgrades.

what kind of system do you have?

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee