3900x or Intel équivalent for 3d work.

Hey, 

I am planning on building a new computer with around a 2k Budget (mainly for 3d work in blender and adobe suite).

For the cpu I don't know if I should go for more cores or more single core performance. I don't really care about render performance because i will pair it with at least a 2080 but I'm more interested by viewport performance (modeling, animation...) 

Thx guys :) 

Would depend on specific apps and what they like.  Developers or forms specific to a given app may have data.  I take it “viewport” is the app in question?  It’s not a name that will google well so I don’t even know if it’s a specific app or not from the way things are worded.  There may be a forum specific to that app that might have information.  As a general rule for work stuff core count beats thread speed.  It’s not universal though. The 3900 has only a little less thread speed but significantly more threads so it may be 3900x either way.  I don’t know.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Would depend on specific apps and what they like.  Developers or forms specific to a given app may have data.  I take it “viewport” is the app in question?  It’s not a name that will google well so I don’t even know if it’s a specific app or not from the way things are worded.  There may be a forum specific to that app that might have information.  As a general rule for work stuff core count beats thread speed.  It’s not universal though. The 3900 has only a little less thread speed but significantly more threads so it may be 3900x either way.  I don’t know.  

Oh sorry, I was referring to Blender's viewport performance. But thanks for the reply

5 minutes ago, aurelienthm said:

Oh sorry, I was referring to Blender's viewport performance. But thanks for the reply

Ah blender.  Blender is known.  It likes cores.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I believe Blender viewport(Eevee, Cycles is probably different) favors clock over cores, likely due to it's similar nature to game engines, the difference is probably really small but I'm pretty sure that the 10900K is faster than the 3900X. I would still go for the 3900X, but if you really don't care about render times, the 10700K/10600K might also work as well as the 10900K.