Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanokillzx33

Corsair CV550 PSU Specific Diagnosis

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I just built my first PC after waiting for 2 months for the parts and overpaying for inflated parts; it isn't booting nor producing any beep codes, just dead. I'm looking at the PSU since (aside from the basics such as properly seating the processor, inserting the ram in their proper slots, not a misplaced standoff, or actually turning on the PSU, etc.) I've also pre-tested my RAM and Graphics Card in a computer service shop and they're working perfectly. 

 

Components:

 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Asus TUF B450-M Plus Gaming

Powercolor RX580 (Used but as said already tested) 

2 x 4 gb 2666 Mhz Kingston HyperX

256 gb Team Group GX2 SATA 2.5" SSD

1 tb Seagate Barracuda

Item in question: Corsair CV550 80+ Bronze

 

More details: 

 

I've tried shorting out the front panel power button pins and the computer still won't start. Next, I've disconnected the PSU from the rest of the computer except for the Molex fans and drives, I tried the paperclip test on it, and the fan did not move even by a bit. I even tried swapping the cable for another one but still nothing. 

 

If anyone has the same model could you please tell me if the fan immediately turns after turning your computer on (read on some forums that some PSU fans don't immediately start turning until hitting up a certain load) or if anyone has an idea on why it's not booting at all, please let me know. I can't afford having an expensive brick after working my ass off and am on the end of my wits

IMG_20200711_181701.jpg

IMG_20200711_160729.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nanokillzx33 said:

I've tried shorting out the front panel power button pins and the computer still won't start. Next, I've disconnected the PSU from the rest of the computer except for the Molex fans and drives, I tried the paperclip test on it, and the fan did not move even by a bit. I even tried swapping the cable for another one but still nothing. 

 

If anyone has the same model could you please tell me if the fan immediately turns after turning your computer on (read on some forums that some PSU fans don't immediately start turning until hitting up a certain load) or if anyone has an idea on why it's not booting at all, please let me know.

The Corsair CV does not have a semi-passive ("Zero RPM") fan mode. The PSU fan should always spin.

If the PSU doesn't power the fans or spin its own fan with the paperclip test then it is likely DOA. Best bet would be return it to where you bought it from and swap it.

 

Just double check by unplugging everything, turning the switch on the power supply off, then turning it back on and try the paperclip test again with just a molex fan plugged in to the PSU (no drives). Definitely shorting the correct pin?


CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, you're saying the PSU didn't turn on during the paperclip test when it was only connected to fans and drives? That certainly sounds like a dead PSU.

Can you try the paperclip test with nothing connected to the PSU, too? It shouldn't make any difference, but you can try.

 

Only some expensive power supplies have a semi-passive fan, cheap PSUs like yours have their fan running all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As spotty said, DOA psu, if the fans didn't spin


It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan, for we will tell you, 

what will become, of that, which you have earned

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
39 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Just double check by unplugging everything, turning the switch on the power supply off, then turning it back on and try the paperclip test again with just a molex fan plugged in to the PSU (no drives). Definitely shorting the correct pin?

I yanked the PSU out of the case, re-tested with 3 fans and nothing attached. The fans still aren't spinning. Will take it for RMA unfortunately for me that'll probably take at least a month since it's ordered online.

 

Also a few moments after taking out the PSU, the 3 prongs on it (I don't know what it's actually called) crackled quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's some sort of short circuit or what because I've used the proper screws for it. 

IMG_20200711_192239.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nanokillzx33 said:

Also a few moments after taking out the PSU, the 3 prongs on it (I don't know what it's actually called) crackled quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's some sort of short circuit or what because I've used the proper screws for it. 

The 3 prongs on the back of the PSU where the cord plugs in to?

What do you mean proper screws? The only thing you should screw in is the power supply to the case with 4 screws, one in each corner of the back of the PSU.

 

In your photo the power cable isn't plugged in properly. That should be plugged in all the way and flush up against the unit. The crackling you're hearing is likely the electricity arcing between the broken connection from not having the cord plugged in properly.

 

image.png.0ac32e297684153761cbd4c849f2bb0f.png

 

 


CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Spotty said:

The 3 prongs on the back of the PSU where the cord plugs in to?

What do you mean proper screws? The only thing you should screw in is the power supply to the case with 4 screws, one in each corner of the back of the PSU.

 

In your photo the power cable isn't plugged in properly. That should be plugged in all the way and flush up against the unit. The crackling you're hearing is likely the electricity arcing between the broken connection from not having the cord plugged in properly.

 

image.png.0ac32e297684153761cbd4c849f2bb0f.png

 

 

Thought the cord could only go that far with so much force, sorry. Jammed it in even more and now it's somewhat more flush inside but still no fan activity whatsoever, I was semi-hoping that that was just the problem :(

 

Thought I'd mentioned those 4 screws because those were probably the only reason other than water and inappropriate contact that I could short out the unit via jamming a wrong screw in or something

Edited by Nanokillzx33
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×