SSD related question

So I bought a Galax Gamer SSD 120GB SATA III Internal solid state recently and it has worked for a couple of days. But soon, it started wearing out. i couldnt figure out what the problem was untill it completely stopped working. I cant see it in my bios and I can only see it in my disk partition options as it is uninitialized and unallocated. It tells me that there are bad sectors. Any idea how to fix it? Or is the only solution to get a new SSD?

It is dead son, no repairing it.

But because it died that fast, just RMA it / send it in for warranty replacement.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Try a different cable and SATA port on your motherboard.
If that doesn't help, return the SSD. 

Return it. Sad reality with some ultra cheap Chinese models

Rma it. 

Wouldn't expect a rando SSD to work properly. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

53 minutes ago, Joshhetfield said:

So I bought a Galax Gamer SSD 120GB SATA III Internal solid state recently and it has worked for a couple of days. But soon, it started wearing out. i couldnt figure out what the problem was untill it completely stopped working. I cant see it in my bios and I can only see it in my disk partition options as it is uninitialized and unallocated. It tells me that there are bad sectors. Any idea how to fix it? Or is the only solution to get a new SSD?

If you can do a S.M.A.R.T test on it, check for the amount of spare blocks or the total data written.

If the total data written is near the amount it's rated, it's dead, don't bother trying to do anything with it, you'll probably be told you installed it wrong. If it has spare blocks or is nowhere near the TBW the manufacturer lists, then just straight up RMA it.

What probably happened, is that it got erased (eg secure erased) by a power surge or something. Flash memory can do that, though I've not run into this once. The only time I've run into anything resembling a bad flash drive is in servers.

With that said, flash media gets slower and wears out quicker the more it's filled up, so if you were keeping it near 90% full, that could easily be the explanation for it wearing out. You want to try and save 20% of the drive free at all times just so that it has sufficient space for wear leveling.

Did you get the "SSD" or "SSD L" version? The latter has half the lifetime and half the IOPs of the former. I would imagine that one is DRAM-less, which would pretty much explain everything.

These drives aren't available in the U.S., so I'm not sure how much it cost or if you can get anything better for a reasonable cost where you're at, but I'd definitely look around more. It's kind of insane to even find a 120GB SSD as you can't get dies any smaller than that. The that means you've just got one die on it and the drive probably has more empty space than a box of cereal. That's going to hurt performance. Anything under 240GB really isn't worth having, though, again, I guess that might just depend on what's available to you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse