RX 580 fans won’t spin, but kick on when GPU hits temp limit and shuts off.

RyanIra

So I was moving my RX 580 amongst two rigs doing some testing and I don’t know when or why, but at some point my gpu fans stopped working. I didn’t realize it until running a benchmark and the screen went black and the fan kicked to 100% and wouldn’t stop until a manual unplug. 

I was actually attempting an OC in my cpu at the time so I thought I just had a bad OC. But then upon reboot I realized that the problem was my gpu fan wasn’t spinning at all. My card does have a zero rpm function but I turned that off and tried using afterburner to set manual speeds. The fan still didn’t move. They also don’t spin on startup or without a hard drive plugged in either. They seem totally dead, only I know they physically still work because they will spin at 100% if I let it overheat to the point of a safety shutoff.  I also tried it on another rig and had same problem and even borrowed fans from an rx 470 and swapped them. Still wont spin. 

do you think I screwed up something on the gpu board maybe?  I can’t find anything on google about the video output still working and the fans  (At least power) physically working, but they will only kick on after an overheat shutdown. 

If I fried the fan controller or something I’m wondering about somehow powering the fans externally? I also just bought the card like 3 weeks ago. What an idiot. lol

2 minutes ago, RyanIra said:

I’m wondering about somehow powering the fans externally?

You could strap some 80mm fans on if you are desperate lol

What is the actual model of card? see if you can contact the manufacturer or reseller about a new one or help, you could even try to see if you can update the bios on the card

Do temps show properly in software?

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

Hello. It can be a bios issue . So you can reflash the bios maybe it will work .

Another solution is take the fans out and use 2 120mm fans or 2 80mm and connect them To the board . 

So I contacted seller and they just say “it worked when I shipped it”. eBay....

it’s almost 3 years old judging by manufacturing date so I doubt contacting  MSI will be much help?

the card is a MSI Radeon RX 580 4G OC  

The temperatures seem to read correctly. I even tried to control it manually with afterburner and it wouldn’t spin at all. 

You both suggested flashing bios. So maybe I’ll give that a try? I’ve done it once before in a 470.  The thing is it had worked fine for 3 weeks. So do you think bios could have somehow messed up? Or is reflashing the bios almost similar to just reloading Windows and hoping it fixed the issue? lol. 

if I can’t figure anything else out I’ll maybe strap some case fans to it like both of you suggested. It’s already a potato so it might as well be even goofier looking. 

thanks 

:)

3 hours ago, RyanIra said:

So I contacted seller and they just say “it worked when I shipped it”. eBay....

it’s almost 3 years old judging by manufacturing date so I doubt contacting  MSI will be much help?

the card is a MSI Radeon RX 580 4G OC  

The temperatures seem to read correctly. I even tried to control it manually with afterburner and it wouldn’t spin at all. 

You both suggested flashing bios. So maybe I’ll give that a try? I’ve done it once before in a 470.  The thing is it had worked fine for 3 weeks. So do you think bios could have somehow messed up? Or is reflashing the bios almost similar to just reloading Windows and hoping it fixed the issue? lol. 

if I can’t figure anything else out I’ll maybe strap some case fans to it like both of you suggested. It’s already a potato so it might as well be even goofier looking. 

thanks 

:)

Definitly not a potato. If BIOS flash doesn't work, try finding a fan extension to plug into mobo. I would remove the plastic shorund and expose the heatsink. Even with poor cooling you should still be abel to get 70% of its performance. you can dramtically cut power consumption and keep a lot of performance.

Try finding the max wattage it can handle wihtout overheating and then min max voltage and clock speeds there.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.