R9 270x isn't detected by Dell OEM motherboard.

babadoctor

Is this something to do with the motherboard being OEM and only allowing certain graphics cards to be installed?

The radeon graphics card is not detected by the motherboard, and I can assure you that this graphics card works. I tested it in another system.

The graphics card turns on and spins, however there is no video. After 5 minutes it starts to spin at max speed and fluctuates depending on what programs I have open (Weird!)

The video runs through the onboard graphics, even if I set the primary video adapter to PCI-E 16x in the BIOS.

Whenever I would attempt to install drivers I would get these errors:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb1603

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb182

Any ideas? 

CPU: amd athlon ii x4 620 (this has no integrated graphics chip, so how am I getting onboard graphics???)

GPU: Onboard graphics (speccy reports this as a nvidia geforce 9100???)
Motherboard: Dell OEM motherboard

Any ideas?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

47 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

CPU: amd athlon ii x4 620 (this has no integrated graphics chip, so how am I getting onboard graphics???)

GPU: Onboard graphics (speccy reports this as a nvidia geforce 9100???)
Motherboard: Dell OEM motherboard

Geforce 9100 is an Integrated GPU on the motherboard itself, though which R9 270X are you using? if the card doesn't have a Dual BIOS Switch to change to Legacy BIOS then it won't work with your board since it doesn't support UEFI BIOS

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 minutes ago, Syn. said:

Geforce 9100 is an Integrated GPU on the motherboard itself, though which R9 270X are you using? if the card doesn't have a Dual BIOS Switch to change to Legacy BIOS then it won't work with your board since it doesn't support UEFI BIOS

Ahhhh, it needs to have support for legacy bios, huh

Yeah the BIOS is legacy BIOS.

Where would I locate said switch?

The GPU is:

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X with Boost and OC Version PCI-Express Graphics Card 11217-04-20G

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

6 hours ago, babadoctor said:

Where would I locate said switch?

The GPU is:

Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 4GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X with Boost and OC Version PCI-Express Graphics Card 11217-04-20G

I believe that card does have a switch for Legacy BIOS

image_16.jpg

Try looking for this button on the front of the card (the side that's facing you when it's installed in the system) if not then there might be a simple toggle switch?

7776_xfx-radeon-r9-380-crimson-edition_3

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 hours ago, Syn. said:

I believe that card does have a switch for Legacy BIOS

image_16.jpg

Try looking for this button on the front of the card (the side that's facing you when it's installed in the system) if not then there might be a simple toggle switch?

7776_xfx-radeon-r9-380-crimson-edition_3

I didn't see any such switch on my card.

Oh well.