Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unkownhihi

Why would you pick Ryzen for gaming?

Posted · Original PosterOP

reposting from pcpartpicker forum because I need the reason as well!

pcpartpicker discussion link: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/362287-why-would-you-pick-ryzen-for-gaming

Quote:

"I am honestly wondering why anyone would ever pick any Ryzen cpu for GAMING reasons only. Let me reiterate, if you plan on using it as a work station, or for video editing, I totally understand Ryzen. But for the many many others out there building a strictly gaming pc. It is massively not cost effective for gaming. literally twice the money for much less frames, Especially in 1080p Intel shines, the Frame differences shrink slightly in 2k and 4k. But the vast majority of gamers play in 1080p. Intel current prices for gaming cpus I3-9100f - $75 I5-9400f - $125 I5-9600kf - $195 I7-9700k - $370

So for arguments sake, I'm curious as to why I see most people suggest ryzen to new builders?"

Btw new user here, hello everyone!

Because no one ever "only" does gaming and its nice to have the headroom to do more for the price, especially if and when games start using multicore more.

Also, AMD doesn't have a new vulnerability every week, so there's that. And the upgrade path because they don't require a new socket with every new generation.

I'm also not sure where they got that AMD was twice as expensive. It's clearly not and is, in fact, cheaper, all while providing similar results.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Also in gener for low budget gaming rigs a Ryzen 3 can be a better bang for a buck than a i3, midrange is similar performance, but yes a 10900k or what ever it is is still a better chip. One would also need to look at what a reasonable upgrade is. A 7th gen i5 to a third gen r3 is great, but to a like 10900k is not a reasonable upgrade.

12 minutes ago, unkownhihi said:

It is massively not cost effective for gaming. literally twice the money for much less frames,

This isn’t true. Basically the same performance in gaming (some have intel higher some have amd higher). Current 9600kf price is 200 and 3600 is 170. So amd gets much better price to performance.

but if you look at anything other than gaming, amd is better performance wise.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

19 minutes ago, unkownhihi said:

reposting from pcpartpicker forum because I need the reason as well!

pcpartpicker discussion link: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/362287-why-would-you-pick-ryzen-for-gaming

Quote:

"I am honestly wondering why anyone would ever pick any Ryzen cpu for GAMING reasons only. Let me reiterate, if you plan on using it as a work station, or for video editing, I totally understand Ryzen. But for the many many others out there building a strictly gaming pc. It is massively not cost effective for gaming. literally twice the money for much less frames, Especially in 1080p Intel shines, the Frame differences shrink slightly in 2k and 4k. But the vast majority of gamers play in 1080p. Intel current prices for gaming cpus I3-9100f - $75 I5-9400f - $125 I5-9600kf - $195 I7-9700k - $370

So for arguments sake, I'm curious as to why I see most people suggest ryzen to new builders?"

Btw new user here, hello everyone!

Because a 9100f is just the "sort by lowest price" new Intel CPU and offers no reasonable upgrade path if you want to pair it with a cost effective motherboard. It's just not the cost of the CPU that you need to take into account with Intel, it's the motherboard + cooling solution as well. For example a 10600k costs around $100 more than the 3600 in the U.S. right now while most people recommend running it on a Z490 motherboard which is around $100 more expensive than a Tomahawk MAX and then they usually pair a $40 CPU cooler with it so you can see how it adds up fast.

You can spend that extra $240 and move up in GPU price brackets so for example instead of getting a RTX 2060S with a 10600k you can get an RTX 2070S with a Ryzen 5 3600 for around the same price, which of course the RTX 2070S is better than the RTX 2060S. Same applies all the way up and down the price list except when you get to the really high end, when it's the difference between the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 ti (a $400 difference in price) when Intel actually semi makes sense, but again you have the problem of an upgrade path, so you have to start there and can't end up there. On the AMD side you can spend $200 on a B450 Tomahawk MAX and a Ryzen 5 1600 and be able to slap a 3700x in there. While on the Intel side you would be spending 50% more just so that you could have a motherboard with a proper upgrade path + a more expensive cooler because of the power draw.

@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

Posted · Original PosterOP

wow, this forum is active! if y'all don't mind, post these reasonings on pcpartpicker so OP can know as well. Thanks everyone! have a great day.

Firstly welcome

Secondly, Well for me i always take the gaming thing at face value. Sure right now they may only game but soon they may wish to start youtube or stream, maybe use this pc for studies later on in life or so on. When you start thinking like this ryzen is the smarter pick for 80% if builds

CPU - R9 3900X | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X73 360MM | Motherboard -  ASRock x570 Steel Legend | RAM -G.SKILL Trident Z (4x16GB) 3600Mhz CL16 | Graphics Card - Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 SUPER WindForce 8GB | Power Supply - Cooler Master V-series 1200 Platinum | Storage - 

500GB Evo 970 plus NVME - OS Drive | Aorus Gen4 AIC Adaptor 2x A2000 1TB Raid 0 - Steam Games Drive | Samsung evo 840 1TB SSD - storage drive | 3 x 2TB WD Black HDD Raid 0 with crucial ssd 500gb as cache - Program Drives/Games Over Flow Drive 2x 4TB Segate HDD Raid 0 with crucial ssd 500gb ssd as cache - Plex Drive Case - 

Phantek Enthoo Pro | Fans - CRYORIG QF120 Performance PWM Fan 120mm, 600-2200RPM x 7

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

This isn’t true. Basically the same performance in gaming (some have intel higher some have amd higher). Current 9600kf price is 200 and 3600 is 170. So amd gets much better price to performance.

but if you look at anything other than gaming, amd is better performance wise.

Side note: Did you see Linus gave you a shout out in the WAN show? He spend a good 10 seconds talking specifically about you. You are famous now! (Timestamped for you)

#MuricaParrotGang

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

Side note: Did you see Linus gave you a shout out in the WAN show? He spend a good 10 seconds talking specifically about you. You are famous now! (Timestamped for you)

Yeah, fakensa posted it on the parrot gang thread. I had to update my signature to show off, lol. Thanks for showing me though!

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

4 minutes ago, unkownhihi said:

wow, this forum is active! if y'all don't mind, post these reasonings on pcpartpicker so OP can know as well. Thanks everyone! have a great day.

I will :)

#MuricaParrotGang

Just now, zeusthemoose said:

Yeah, fakensa posted it on the parrot gang thread. I had to update my signature to show off, lol. Thanks for showing me though!

I should consider making myself a parrot gang gif, how did you make yours?

#MuricaParrotGang

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

You can join on this thread (we’d love to have you!): 

There is a website with a bunch of parrots linked in there so you can choose which you want.

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Oh Lord, it's spreading.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

21 minutes ago, unkownhihi said:

It is massively not cost effective for gaming. literally twice the money for much less frames

Lolwut

Sanity check please

Also can you tell us what difference 400fps makes over 300fps for the user?

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Just now, TetraSky said:

Oh Lord, it's spreading.

You should join too! #parrotgang

(I’ll stop taking over this thread now...)

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

1 minute ago, zeusthemoose said:

You should join too! #parrotgang

(I’ll stop taking over this thread now...)

I like my pink cat, thanks.

And really, this thread is long over. There was nothing to discuss here. Just a post from another forum about how wrong they were.

Because

poor people.png

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA III, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Hannspree HF207 and Acer AL2016W monitors

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out (getting its facelift as of June 2020 have new air cooler, drives etc.  About 60% finished.  Will no longer be a closed loop system.

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO w/ 12mm thick fans to fit in top exhaust, 256gb TIMETEC SSD, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Generic mouse, 37" 1080p TV

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV for form factor in the kitchen

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 2gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro at the moment

APU Laptop: I need to clean this things TIM up so it can boot into Windows 7 for more than 5 minute before overheating at idle, it has things, I just haven't been on it in 2 years or so

the OP of that post really doesn't know what hes talking about. I'd expect him to be a frequent user of userbenchmarks and such.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @4.0ghz, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 4x8gb Gell EVO 2866, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 730, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Bearcat (F@H box) core 2 duo, 1x4gb EEC DDR2, 250gb WD blue, 9800GTX+, STRIX 660ti, supermicro PSU, dell T3400.

Rappter(unfinished compute server) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

Spirt  (unfinished NAS) Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."  @CircleTech

48 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Because a 9100f is just the "sort by lowest price" new Intel CPU and offers no reasonable upgrade path if you want to pair it with a cost effective motherboard. It's just not the cost of the CPU that you need to take into account with Intel, it's the motherboard + cooling solution as well. For example a 10600k costs around $100 more than the 3600 in the U.S. right now while most people recommend running it on a Z490 motherboard which is around $100 more expensive than a Tomahawk MAX and then they usually pair a $40 CPU cooler with it so you can see how it adds up fast.

You can spend that extra $240 and move up in GPU price brackets so for example instead of getting a RTX 2060S with a 10600k you can get an RTX 2070S with a Ryzen 5 3600 for around the same price, which of course the RTX 2070S is better than the RTX 2060S. Same applies all the way up and down the price list except when you get to the really high end, when it's the difference between the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 ti (a $400 difference in price) when Intel actually semi makes sense, but again you have the problem of an upgrade path, so you have to start there and can't end up there. On the AMD side you can spend $200 on a B450 Tomahawk MAX and a Ryzen 5 1600 and be able to slap a 3700x in there. While on the Intel side you would be spending 50% more just so that you could have a motherboard with a proper upgrade path + a more expensive cooler because of the power draw.

Adding on to my own reply with the reply of the OP from the PCPP thread:

Spoiler

snip.thumb.PNG.ec4af95092f3042071966e9b679e72b8.PNG

#MuricaParrotGang

12 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Oh Lord, it's spreading.

You're welcome!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

13 hours ago, unkownhihi said:

I5-9400f - $125

Not sure where those prices apply but where I live the 9400f costs almost as much as a 3600x which completely creams it. As for the 9100f, anyone buying that for games will get royally screwed over within the next two years - 4c/4t has been barely enough for a while now.

At least a ryzen chip can be overclocked - and you get to upgrade to a newer generation without throwing away your motherboard if it becomes necessary.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

13 hours ago, unkownhihi said:

Intel current prices for gaming cpus I3-9100f - $75 I5-9400f - $125 I5-9600kf - $195 I7-9700k - $370

because 3/4th of the options lack the threadcount to be a viable choice in modern gaming for the price they charge. 

and the 9700k just got beaten by the 10600k in that regards. 

so none of those options is what is considered a "good" choice. Zen is, and will continue to be one of the best options for anyone with a non-massive budget. and in the end, why spend 100$ more on a CPU, when it can be spent on the GPU, which will provide far better gains. 

1) cost of intel K chips are dumb, you must pair with premium Z chipsets to overclock, while amd side is free

also remember that all intel chip have overheating issue which add extra cost to cooling

2) intel is better for game, yea but for how much? 

All benchmarks you see is paired with rtx2080Ti  and yet the diff is only 10- 20fps in 140fps range

so ask yourself first,  

does that fps matters at that range? no>Amd

do you have high(est) end monitor AND top end gpu ?no>Amd

therefore amd cpu even 1st gen ryzen are more than good enough for majority

3) ryzen is futureproof enough over intel , no matter how you define it

Midrange, 9600kf vs 3600, from what I see it is neck and neck in gaming terms, and the 9600kf is $20 more expensive.

At high-end, I think Intel still has a significant advantage in pure gaming terms.  I don't think the 3900x or the 3950x perform that well and if anyone actually buys a 3900xt or a 3950xt I think we should be calling the guys with the straight-jackets and the white van because that is clearly a sign of insanity.

I am looking forward to Ryzen 4, I am hoping the core count increases as well as single threaded boosting.