Building a PC for my brother Help Requested

Budget (including currency):  (Not really a set budget) Max 3000 CAD for everything

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Photoshop, LoL, RE2, Doom Eternal, 1080p video/audio editing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi, this is my first time posting, I want to pick out a build for my brother, he has an old laptop that barely works. He wants something that can play modern titles at decent framerates. He also wants a cheap laptop for school that isn't absolutely terrible. I have a few questions about this build because I have only built 2 pcs and he has never built one before. I had a 3200g lying around and a bunch of case fans, but I want him to be able to upgrade with a GPU, a new CPU, a monitor, in the future but figured I should get him a case, MOBO, ram, storage, that will last him for a long time.

Parts and why I chose them:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Ben_Ex/saved/#view=wz4K3C

CPU: 3200G (already have)

MOBO: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (280$)

Forward compatible with R4+ looked around and Jayztwocents said that x570 was more future oriented than B550, WiFi because he is upstairs and a cord up the stairs isn't nice.

GPU: ???

This will go hand in hand with the monitor, I was thinking of waiting until 3000 series Nvidia and Navi2 launch before deciding.

RAM: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (143$)

I have 32 GB of Patriot 2800 MHz I would trade him for these because they were falsely advertised as 3600. 32GB because future proof and photoshop/video editing

SSD: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (85$)

(Reputable company, boot drive and current game drive, where all other programs are on the HDD)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive.(120$)

Not sure if 7200 vs 5600 makes a big difference, where the bulk of his data will go. Has many files that he wants in a central location.

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (90$) 

Cheap case that seems easy to build in, he hates RGB and does not want to see the inside, quieter is better.

PSU: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (170$)

I know it's overkill but to be able to go forward without having to upgrade later is cheaper than getting a 500W now and another one later. modular because easier to work with.

Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (81$)

He still uses physical media, this was the cheapest I could find from a company I recognized.

Monitor: ???

I think he would want at least 1080p 100 Hz but not sure if the 3200G can handle that without a dedicated GPU

Keyboard: ??? Corsair K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (80$)

Mouse: ??? Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse (80$)

Mouse and keyboard are placeholders, anything that is easy to type on and comfortable is the best as he writes a lot and finds his wrists hurt after typing on his keyboard.

Definitely no water-cooling!

Any suggestions or help would greatly be appreciated,

Ben

the board is 3 times the cost of the cpu so horribly balanced

the psu is massively overpriced

there 32 gb of ram with absolutely no use case listed for it

the hard drive is only 3tb and 120$

lotta work to fix this build

1 hour ago, emosun said:

dont really agree with any of those points

CPU is clearly just a stand in for now. I'd personally go with an B550 but thats me

always better to go overkill on PSU, that's a pretty good one, though i may go for the 550W

he specifivally writies the use cases for the ram, and they're fair

drive price is at the low end (its in CAD not USD remember)

CPU: AMD 3600X

GPU: Nvidia 3070 (planned)

motherboard: MSI B500-A PRO

memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 2x8 GB 3600Mhz CL16

PSU: EVGA B3 650@

Case: NZXT H510

wireless network adapter: intel ax200

6 hours ago, Ben_Ex said:

I think he would want at least 1080p 100 Hz but not sure if the 3200G can handle that without a dedicated GPU

You won't get 100 fps with this APU, maybe in low settings till new Parts can be bought.

21 hours ago, rapidkillerx said:

dont really agree with any of those points

CPU is clearly just a stand in for now. I'd personally go with an B550 but thats me

always better to go overkill on PSU, that's a pretty good one, though i may go for the 550W

he specifivally writies the use cases for the ram, and they're fair

drive price is at the low end (its in CAD not USD remember)

She was right, I found a 4tb for the exact same price :3

You're right these are just placeholders til the new GPU's come in, my brother says he doesn't want to fully upgrade his system for at least 5-7 years after this, so a mobo and ram and case with a lot of headroom are needed. The other case I was looking at was the R7 because it looks sweet and is hella sturdy and easy to work in (I already have one in white), but at 250$ it's pricey and idk if it's worth it over the ~100$ corsair 200R. I have no idea if that case is easy to work in.

Thanks for the defense, but more opinions are usually better.

17 hours ago, koptr said:

You won't get 100 fps with this APU, maybe in low settings till new Parts can be bought.

Yeah, I figured, any ideas on a good reasonably priced monitor that's somewhat future proof or should I just wait for a while til things calm down a bit?

23 hours ago, emosun said:

Thanks for the input :) you got me an extra 1 TB at no additional charge.

Just want to point out that the M.2 WD Blue is just a SATA SSD in an M.2 form factor. You're not getting anything over at standard SATA SSD. I'd recommend stepping up to the WD Black, which is actually NVMe, but that looks to be double the price. The Samsung Evo seems to actually be 20$ cheaper, and that's arguably a better drive. Either will do, though. Otherwise, that drive is fine, but just wanted to make sure you knew that the M.2 part isn't doing anything for you other than maybe slightly cleaner cable management.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse