Can i usa Xeon x5650 with a normal mobo and RAM

Im currently with a AMD FX-6100 (6 core 6 threads) and really wanted to upgrade but money is a really big factor, found out that Intel Xeon X5650 its cheap while being possibly capable of matching an i7-2400 or possibly even more depending on the overclocking. Now I’ve been struggling to find cheap and good mobo for it, found one thats ecc compatible, do i have to run a ecc memory because of it or can i use the board like a “normal” one and use normal RAMs?

5 minutes ago, rodilool said:

Im currently with a AMD FX-6100 (6 core 6 threads) and really wanted to upgrade but money is a really big factor, found out that Intel Xeon X5650 its cheap while being possibly capable of matching an i7-2400 or possibly even more depending on the overclocking. Now I’ve been struggling to find cheap and good mobo for it, found one thats ecc compatible, do i have to run a ecc memory because of it or can i use the board like a “normal” one and use normal RAMs?

You can use a Xeon in a normal board, assuming it has BIOS support for it. Most should....

Also, you don't need to use ECC RAM, normal consumer RAM will work as well.

But, you can't overclock Xeon's.

Also, a 5650 is pretty old, I would really try and look for like a used 3770k or 4770k, being overclockable it will be a better bet for games. Obviously you would need a overclocking capable motherboard to go with. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

it will work on most x58 boards, but unless you can get it super cheap, your probably much better off buying a newer system than x58, as it won't be that big of aupgrade for you.

Just now, LIGISTX said:

But, you can't overclock Xeon's.

those x5650's overclock pretty well, just bump up the fsb. There was made in the days when locked cpus could be overcloked a good amount by raising fsb

x5650 is about as fast as a Ryzen 1200 you can buy for 50-65$ on eBay or aliexpress, and consumes about twice as much power. 

An A320 motherboard can cost as little as 55$ or so, and ddr4 memory can be cheap, and you can buy just one stick and buy a second one when you have more money.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

those x5650's overclock pretty well, just bump up the fsb. There was made in the days when locked cpus could be overcloked a good amount by raising fsb

Is that Xeon that old..? I didn't realize it was a FSB chip.

I had a i7 920 back in the day, I suppose this must be the same era. I still have my 920 actually, its just a piece of art now. But man, it was fun to overclock back then. 3.86 GHz stable all day long, with a 21x multi and base clock of 102 to boot ;).

The Asus P6T Deluxe V2 I had let you permanently enable the turbo multiplier, which is why it was 21 (at least, man I hope that is right, its been so long...), and I was able to be stable at a 102 base clock, which also made literally every bus on the board run a little faster. But with all of that, that thing was rock solid stable for 6 years! At voltage lower than stock for 2.66 GHz! This is why I still have it.... as good PC memorabilia lol.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

5 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Is that Xeon that old..? I didn't realize it was a FSB chip.

I had a i7 920 back in the day, I suppose this must be the same era. I still have my 920 actually, its just a piece of art now. But man, it was fun to overclock back then. 3.86 GHz stable all day long, with a 21x multi and base clock of 102 to boot ;).

The Asus P6T Deluxe V2 I had let you permanently enable the turbo multiplier, which is why it was 21 (at least, man I hope that is right, its been so long...), and I was able to be stable at a 102 base clock, which also made literally every bus on the board run a little faster. But with all of that, that thing was rock solid stable for 6 years! At voltage lower than stock for 2.66 GHz! This is why I still have it.... as good PC memorabilia lol.

yup same platform and concept as the 920.

I think the fsb was 133 by default, and since less was tied to that bus, you can crank it up, unlike on modern boards where 1020 or 103 is normally the limit. People would often hit 160 or more and enjoy that speed boost

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

yup same platform and concept as the 920.

I think the fsb was 133 by default, and since less was tied to that bus, you can crank it up, unlike on modern boards where 1020 or 103 is normally the limit. People would often hit 160 or more and enjoy that speed boost

Yea, IIRC, I ran the BCLK (what was FSB) at 200? Man, I should just go turn it on, im sure the BIOS is still saved. 

But yea, there was FSB, but also like the base clock of the mobo. That is what I turned up to 102. I don't remember how that worked, its been way too long. Funny thing is, watching a NCIX Tech Tips (Linus's 9th ever youtube video) is how I learned to do it... Been watching him literally ever since haha.