Does anyone know why Phil Defranco deleted 2 billion views worth of videos on June 24?

LinusTech

Quote from the above reddit post from u/RebirthCross:

I think this is around the tine he bought his channel back from Discover. Even his vlog channel got scrubbed.

i do remember at one point he would ask fans to send pics to him and he would have a link to view the gallery for the week (topless photos on occasions). he stopped it because it was getting out of hand.

Going to assume it could get him into legal trouble

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

9 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

reddit's curious too, and one leading theory/observation is that he privated every video prior to 2017

on mobile now, so i can't easily confirm this

Confirmed: All videos prior to 2017 are no longer visible. Weird.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

i just can't believe he took a sponsor from Lew for his Later case even after all the deception and lies Lew went through, 

according to others he privated like every single video from before 2017

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

When the money flow slows, so do the videos.

Time for retirement.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

no i do not really think that's the reason:D.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Time for retirement.

That has nothing to do with setting old videos to private or deleting them.

Well it's not like it matters financially; his daily views haven't changed, indicating that those old videos weren't generating significant amounts of new views anyway. (not surprising given the channel type)

I don't know the channel very well, so I don't know what happened, but I imagine some annoying legal issue happened and it was an easy and quick option to just private those old videos, given it doesn't affect his growth right now.

Edit: actually now that I'm thinking of it, isn't it weird that SB displays a negative figure for a loss of views? 

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

All I see is that 2B views are gone.

There's really no telling exactly what or why he did anything without asking him.

There's another possibility that hasn't been brought up yet though: A lot of people are scrubbing social media histories right now because we've transitioned into a society no longer tolerant of past mistakes.

There is a chance that he thinks that some of his videos might be offensive to some entity that he doesn't want to offend, and so is hiding or removing any of his content that might be deemed "cancel-worthy".

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Me reading the title: this is probably just some kid wanting to know the answer to something that we can't possibly know, what a ridiculous question.

>By Linus Tech

Pls Linus have mercy. I'm not talking shit I swear. loveparrot.gif.44bbcba7903d64a793f6428c19c20f76.gif

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, straight_stewie said:

There's really no telling exactly what or why he did anything without asking him.

There's another possibility that hasn't been brought up yet though: A lot of people are scrubbing social media histories right now because we've transitioned into a society no longer tolerant of past mistakes.

There is a chance that he thinks that some of his videos might be offensive to some entity that he doesn't want to offend, and so is hiding or removing any of his content that might be deemed "cancel-worthy".

given what just happened to jean marbles and she privated some stuff weeks after it came out I'm not surprised

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

His old content was extremely stupid and could easily get him "cancelled". He always said he would never hide all of the offensive things he uploaded, guess he finally got spooked.

Edit: Just want to throw it out there that I also think he's a great example of why we shouldn't hold people's words from their past against them now. He went from being a gossip channel to covering important world events.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

59 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

That has nothing to do with setting old videos to private or deleting them.

It was a joke.....

Wait you contribute!!!

Now is NOT the time for retirement lol.

6 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Now is NOT the time for retirement lol.

We all know that retirement will come when deep fakes are perfected.

4 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

We all know that retirement will come when deep fakes are perfected.

Lol. Yup..... But that'll  never happen. Ever. :P

47 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

His old content was extremely stupid and could easily get him "cancelled". He always said he would never hide all of the offensive things he uploaded, guess he finally got spooked.

yeah i deleted all my facebook posts from before i was 16 years old since i posted some really cringy stuff.

Better to just hide any stuff that might be controversial. I think the past month has taught us that the world was an extremely different place just a few years ago. 

He has said in many videos lately that he use to be an edgelord/cringekid making terrible jokes that would get him cancelled by todays standards.

For the past several years he has only read news. So that's why all older videos.

Cultural appropriation in recent years has been people wearing clothes considered to be of somone else's herritage. Stupid.

In this wanshow you guys seem scared of being cancelled over little things too... Maybe assign one of your employees to vet older vidoes, and edit them rather than deleting your catalog, the several weeks of effort would probably be recouped in several months from the ad rev and organic growth.

in this wanshow you later joke about sponsoring other tech videos, but i have seen your various sponsor spots advertised on other channels constantly over the past year