Time to upgrade some parts, need some help on best bang for the buck!

Hello all!

Been looking for more umph out of my build, looking at upgrading the CPU or RAM at the current moment.

Here is my current build and some footnotes: (Some things may be slightly off due to PCP not having it specifically. Case is NZXT H510)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H73kMc

Ryzen 1600 @ 3.6

MSI B450I Gaming Plus mobo

CM ML120 AIO

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X (no oc)

16gb Ripjaws ram @ 2400

240gb SSD

1TB HD

• Gamer: 1440p, like my medium-high settings, but will drop for 60+ fps (Again, not upgrading GPU atm, even though I know it'll be worth it to a 2070 in the future)

• No rending or digital work; Spotify, temp monitor, and usually a stream/Youtube video playing in the background for my "relaxing" games.

• Main game, and really the only game I have issues with, that I play is Escape from Tarkov. I have seen enough times that CPU and RAM generally play a larger part in performance compared to GPU, especially since my 1070 isn't the worst quality card out.

• EfT pulls good frames (generally around 50-60 @ 1080p) but does have a frequent amount of stuttering and freezing (the kind that makes the audio loop). Warzone does the same, but much less frequent and with higher frames averaging around 70-80 (1440p).

• My 1600 will not OC past 3.6, temps never hit above 65c and even went as high a 1.42v. RAM will not OC at all, will crash system within 10min of gaming, sometimes even watching Youtube (R1600 is set for 2667hz and that does not work at all XMP profile wise, again, crashing).

Main question is: upgrade the CPU or RAM?

Looking at the 3600 for CPU and looking to up RAM to 32gb @ 3000/3200. I feel as though the CPU will be the better option, mainly due to RAM going up in amount may not really do a whole hell of a lot thats noticeable, but the speed might. The upgrade of CPU will be great as the base clock on 3600 is my current OC and the ceiling for OC is higher and more likely to work. Threads/Cores are the same but I am really just banking on the clock speed and updates in the 3600 will pull through will greater performance.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

17 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I would suggest to buy the 3600, the raw CPU speed is more important than memory, but if you can afford it grab a 8x2 kit of 3000mhz RAM which will make a noticeable difference in CPU performance. A 1070 is fine for now so you can wait until new GPUs come out in order to upgrade that.

I figured as much. Tarkov (15gb) and Warzone(12-13gb) do eat a lot of memory (and Tarkov has a decent mem leak issue) would the speed difference in ram really make a difference? Rather, more of a difference than amount of ram? 2400mhz is pretty slow especially for Ryzen, would be nice to save some money on not going 32gb, but I just don't know if the 2400 to 3000mhz would be worth the upgrade (when I could just go to 32gb, as well). 

Upgrading your CPU would be great for you right now. Upgrading to 3600 directly improves your CPU speed by 12.5 %(6x3.6 GHz vs 6x3.2 GHz), RAM speed by 533 MHz(3200 MHz vs 2667 MHz), Cache memory by 16 MB(32 MB vs 16 MB), Turbo Clock speed by 0.6 GHz(4.2 GHz vs 3.6 GHz), Memory Bandwidth by 4.98 GB/s(47.68 GB/s vs 42.7 GB/s) and by another newer version of PCI Express(PCIe) ( 4 vs 3). And upgrading RAM would always be a cherry on the top. Hope this helps. :)

6 minutes ago, Oliver Murphy said:

by another newer version of PCI Express(PCIe) ( 4 vs 3

All other points are valid but this won’t make a difference for 5+ years. 2080tis are only bottlenecks in 2.0 by 8%.