MSI X470 UEFI + Legacy Boot Hard drive partitions

jtann12

I have an MSI X470 Gaming Plus now I used to have a different mobo and had issues so booting into Legacy fixed the issues. My WD Black Nvme ssd is still partitioned the same as it was on the old mobo and so are my other drives. I recently ordered a 10Tb IronWolf Pro for games and large files from now on, Will I still be able to use all 10TB ? Can legacy partition using GPT or NTFS for drives other than C drive? The BIOS says its UEFI + Legacy. 

I do not want to boot to this drive I just want to have this as my F drive not C

Yes you can use GPT for drives that you don't plan on booting on Legacy BIOS systems. It will work and you will have access to the full capacity, however you won't be able to boot from it as Legacy BIOS only understands MBR. Since you're not going to boot from that hard drive, it will work fine.

I would still try and fix your UEFI issues though.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

1 minute ago, Husky said:

Yes you can use GPT for drives that you don't plan on booting on Legacy BIOS systems. It will work and you will have access to the full capacity, however you won't be able to boot from it as Legacy BIOS only understands MBR. Since you're not going to boot from that hard drive, it will work fine.

I would still try and fix your UEFI issues though.

I want to but then I would have to reformat my C drive then re install windows all over again 

Just adding that NTFS is the only somewhat good file system for Windows.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

You must have completely ignored my link, or didn't read it.  You do NOT need to reformat or reinstall Windows to convert to GPT and convert Windows to UEFI mode.

Read the link I posted.  I even told you it works because the machine I am on had this conversion done.  This Windows install was originally installed as MBR and legacy.  I literally followed what was in the URL I shared with you, and as you can see, it's now UEFI and GPT.  I did not reinstall or reformat anything.

Annotation 2020-07-10 104540.jpg

Sweet thank you 

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

Just adding that NTFS is the only somewhat good file system for Windows.

So GPT is best?

Just now, jtann12 said:

So GPT is best?

GPT and MBR are the way UEFI/BIOS works with drive. They are different things. Windows only supports FAT32, exFAT and NTFS file systems. Of which NTFS is commonly used.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

GPT and MBR are the way UEFI/BIOS works with drive. They are different things. Windows only supports FAT32, exFAT and NTFS file systems. Of which NTFS is commonly used.

Ohh I see thank you I was getting worried bout this drive I ordered 

3 minutes ago, Hakemon said:

You're welcome.  Apologies if I sounded rude, that wasn't intended.

A good analogy about GPT and MBR btw that I like to explain, is like this:  GPT and MBR are like methods of how you organize streets in a city.  File systems though like FAT, NTFS, exFAT, etc, are like how you lay out the streets themselves (aka data).

Best thing of all, you can put anything on any disk.  Heck I even once turned an EEPROM into a disk for a project, and gave it MBR with FAT12.  Skies the limit.  You just have to either convert or reformat as such.

No worries I appreciate the help that is a easier way of thinking about it! Thank you in advance 

3 hours ago, jtann12 said:

I want to but then I would have to reformat my C drive then re install windows all over again 

No you do not have to format your Windows drive. You can simply add the new hard drive and format it using the GPT partition table and it will work.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM