1650 Super black screen during/after driver install

• Describe the problem: I recently got a GTX 1650 Super that I'm attempting to make work with a rather old system (see specs below) for the next 4-ish months until I can afford to update the MB/CPU/RAM. I plugged it in, and it works as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter," but then when I install the latest drivers from Nvidia, the screen goes black as soon as the driver gets loaded. When I restart the computer, it shows video at first (and it's POST-ing just fine), shows the Windows logo, then goes black (presumably when the video drivers get loaded). I did a clean driver install in safe mode and made sure it got all the way through the install; upon reboot to standard mode, same thing, black screen during boot.
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit (unlicensed)
  • System specs
    • CPU: Athlon II X2 220
    • Motherboard: EL1358G (OEM (eMachines) motherboard, recased from its SFF into a micro-ATX case)
    • RAM: 3GB (1x1GB, 1x2GB) DDR3-1600
    • GPU: EVGA GTX 1650 Super SC Ultra
    • Storage: WD Blue 500GB SATA SSD (current OS drive)
    • Storage: Seagate 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD
    • PSU: Enermax RevoBron 500W
    • Display: Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
  • BIOS version: P01.B4. It was on P01.B0, and I flashed the update tonight as part of my troubleshooting.
  • Unfortunately, there are no error messages/screenshots; it just goes black. Looking at the device manager in Safe Mode it certainly looks like the drivers installed correctly, so this may just be the problem with using an old motherboard.
  • devmgrscreenshot.thumb.jpg.f2e5dcfbe5df817e33779a0be0418069.jpg
  • I haven't tried DDU yet, but I did a clean install of Windows on the SSD today (because I bought the SSD today), so there shouldn't be any old drivers.
  • I have manually uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a few times, with no success. Every time I reinstall the driver, I get a black screen during the install (if in normal mode) or during boot (if in safe mode).

6 hours ago, fordy_rounds said:
  • Describe the problem: I recently got a GTX 1650 Super that I'm attempting to make work with a rather old system (see specs below) for the next 4-ish months until I can afford to update the MB/CPU/RAM. I plugged it in, and it works as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter," but then when I install the latest drivers from Nvidia, the screen goes black as soon as the driver gets loaded. When I restart the computer, it shows video at first (and it's POST-ing just fine), shows the Windows logo, then goes black (presumably when the video drivers get loaded). I did a clean driver install in safe mode and made sure it got all the way through the install; upon reboot to standard mode, same thing, black screen during boot.
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit (unlicensed)
  • System specs
    • CPU: Athlon II X2 220
    • Motherboard: EL1358G (OEM (eMachines) motherboard, recased from its SFF into a micro-ATX case)
    • RAM: 3GB (1x1GB, 1x2GB) DDR3-1600
    • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 Super SC Ultra
    • Storage: WD Blue 500GB SATA SSD (current OS drive)
    • Storage: Seagate 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD
    • PSU: Enermax RevoBron 500W
    • Display: Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
  • BIOS version: P01.B4. It was on P01.B0, and I flashed the update tonight as part of my troubleshooting.
  • Unfortunately, there are no error messages/screenshots; it just goes black. Looking at the device manager in Safe Mode it certainly looks like the drivers installed correctly, so this may just be the problem with using an old motherboard.
  • devmgrscreenshot.thumb.jpg.f2e5dcfbe5df817e33779a0be0418069.jpg
  • I haven't tried DDU yet, but I did a clean install of Windows on the SSD today (because I bought the SSD today), so there shouldn't be any old drivers.
  • I have manually uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers a few times, with no success. Every time I reinstall the driver, I get a black screen during the install (if in normal mode) or during boot (if in safe mode).

The only thing i can initiall think of is using DDU

Good Luck!

On 7/10/2020 at 3:57 AM, The Spectator said:

The only thing i can initiall think of is using DDU

Good Luck!

Thanks! Unfortunately it didn't work. I think it's just this motherboard/bios is too old.