Does Intel still hold the Advantage in Adobe Programs?

Hey All,

I've two simple questions:

1. Does Intel still hold the advantage in Adobe? If so, by how much? I think I saw a chart a while back saying the difference had been greatly reduced with the 3960,3970 and 3990xs but does it apply to desktop CPUs?

2. If they have the advantage in Adobe, does that also apply to other video editors like Resolve 16/Vegas Pro?

1) A tiny bit faster, not by much

2) You can always check out pugetsystems, they make really good writeups for most programs:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-Studio-CPU-Roundup-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-AMD-Threadripper-2-Intel-9th-Gen-Intel-X-series-1538/

Short answer: They are both pretty fast, amd might be faster in somethings, intel in others, but overall performance is similar.

Here is the answer for Davinci Resolve:

If you are looking for an overall winner between the new AMD Ryzen CPUs and the Intel 9th Gen CPUs, AMD is clearly the better choice for DaVinci Resolve - and often by a very large margin. Neither product line can keep up with Intel's X-series processors, but if you are looking for a more budget-firendly CPU for Resolve, the AMD Ryzen 3rd generation CPUs are an obvious choice.

Getting into the details, at the $400 and below price range (AMD Ryzen 5/7 and Intel Core i5/i7), AMD is simply better. The difference is more pronounced on tasks that are not as GPU-intensive like creating optimized media or doing very basic grades, but it is very significant - AMD is on average around 15-40% faster than the equivalent Intel processor. Once the GPU becomes a larger part of the picture, the difference is less stark, but AMD still maintains a 5-20% lead.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

1. Does Intel still hold the advantage in Adobe? If so, by how much? I think I saw a chart a while back saying the difference had been greatly reduced with the 3960,3970 and 3990xs but does it apply to desktop CPUs?

That was really only with Quicksync, without it, it's an even match:

Does Premiere Pro work better with Intel or AMD CPUs?
At the moment, Intel and AMD trade blows in the mid-rang (Intel X-series and 10th Gen vs AMD Ryzen 3rd Gen) in terms of live playback and exporting performance in Premiere Pro with Intel taking a very slight lead. However, if you want to minimize your export times, the AMD Threadripper CPUs are terrific for this - allowing exports to finish about 40% faster than what is possible with an Intel X-series processor.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-143/Hardware-Recommendations

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

2. If they have the advantage in Adobe, does that also apply to other video editors like Resolve 16/Vegas Pro?

Other programs never had the Quicksync support (if I recall correctly), so there it has always been kind of a 'balance cores vs. clockspeed' argument, so similar to Adobe Premiere.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-DaVinci-Resolve-187/Hardware-Recommendations

AMD seems to do very well in Davinci Resolve, seeing as the AMD 3700X (8c16t) and 9900K (8c16t) are very close to each other (while in other applications, the 9900K has better single core performance)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

"Adobe programs" is far too vague.  Some applications like Photoshop are single or lightly threaded and as such, I think Intel does technically hold a small lead there.  Others like Premiere, After Effects, etc. are a very different story since they use many more cores and possibly GPU power as well, so you cannot lump them all together.  As mentioned, Puget systems has great testing on all of them though if you want more details.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

"Adobe programs" is far too vague.  Some applications like Photoshop are single or lightly threaded and as such, I think Intel does technically hold a small lead there.  Others like Premiere, After Effects, etc. are a very different story since they use many more cores and possibly GPU power as well, so you cannot lump them all together.  As mentioned, Puget systems has great testing on all of them though if you want more details.

Mainly Premiere Pro and After Effects, with some light Photoshop.

In short: Anything that requires high single core performance - intel wins because of higher clocks. And anything that utilises multithreading, AMD takes the cake. There are some outliers, but in general that's how it is.

15 minutes ago, gloop said:

Mainly Premiere Pro and After Effects, with some light Photoshop.

In that case I'd look primarily at the premiere and after effects scores, which I suspect heavily favour AMD due to much better multi-threaded performance.  The slight loss to Intel in single-threaded is already small to begin with, and this is made even less significant if you are not doing those tasks often.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.