worried about my psu

spiroulis

Hello, i just got the "Sapphire rx580 pulse" gpu and im in agony whether my psu can take it. I have a  corsair cx450m psu, ryzen 2200g cpu, and 1 8gb ddr4 ram module. All of the online psu calculators i tried say that my max load is 400w but im scared that my 450w will fail. 

it should be more than enough.

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

2 minutes ago, spiroulis said:

All of the online psu calculators i tried say that my max load is 400w but im scared that my 450w will fail. 

PSU calculators are innaccurate and you should avoid them. They overestimate a lot.

You will be more than fine. You can run that system on a decent 400w unit. The cx450m greylabel is a decent unit

It should work fine.

Kind of unrelated, but do consider throwing another 8GB stick of memory in there, to run them in dual-channel. You're losing out on quite a hefty bit of performance this way.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

it should be more than enough.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

PSU calculators are innaccurate and you should avoid them. They overestimate a lot.

You will be more than fine. You can run that system on a decent 400w unit. The cx450m greylabel is a decent unit

Im relieved, thanks for offering some peace of mind.

Just now, Mateyyy said:

It should work fine.

Kind of unrelated, but do consider throwing another 8GB stick of memory in there, to run them in dual-channel. You're losing out on quite a hefty bit of performance this way.

i will once i have a bit of extra money, thanks for the heads up :D

@spiroulis op your worried hell im running a ryzen 5 3600 and a 1660S on that psu and it barely consumes 400W of power

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1660 Super oc 6g
Mobo:MSI b450 tomahawk max

RAM: 32gb ddr4 lpx vengeance 3200mhz

Storage: WD sn550 1tb, Baracuda 2TB HDD (*In use), Hitachi 2tb HDD, WD 0.5tb HDD (both HDD knackered)

PSU: cxm 450

Case: Corsair Carbide Series

1 minute ago, KGGaming said:

@spiroulis op your worried hell im running a ryzen 5 3600 and a 1660S on that psu and it barely consumes 400W of power

Thats not gonna do more than like 200w. Perhaps around 220-240 full load.

If i remember correctly and my math checks out. This is after PSU losses mind you. As in what the PSU outputs. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Thats not gonna do more than like 200w. Perhaps around 220-240 full load.

If i remember correctly and my math checks out. This is after PSU losses mind you. As in what the PSU outputs. 

Dude, come on i was just trying to make it so that op stopped worried about now worrying about power

Storage: WD sn550 1tb, Baracuda 2TB HDD (*In use), Hitachi 2tb HDD, WD 0.5tb HDD (both HDD knackered)

2 minutes ago, spiroulis said:

@KGGaming @GoldenLag Should i be worried of my gpu reaching 90-100% utilization or am i still good?

nah don't worry, if that your idle amount then maybe be worried but if your playing a game i won't be worried

18 minutes ago, spiroulis said:

@KGGaming @GoldenLag Should i be worried of my gpu reaching 90-100% utilization or am i still good?

Nothing to worry about.its expected behavior

You might want to say away from overclocking though. (CPU and GPU) Due to the increase in power consumption, but else you are fine.